• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Canonical tag implementation

webshoptimizer

Ok, tonight I wanted to try to make a contribution for the new tag the major search engines released in the battle against "duplicate content".

The idea is that you point the search engine to the right URL instead of an irregular URL over and over again (what causes duplicate content).

You only have to adjust two files: index.php and product_info.php.

1. Open both files and add before require(’includes/application_top.php’); the following code:

$string = $_SERVER[‘REQUEST_URI’];

$search = ‘&osCsid.*|?osCsid.*’;

$replace = ”;

2. Add within your <head> section the following code to generate the correct URL:

<link rel="canonical" href="<?php echo ‘http://www.yourdomain.com’ . ereg_replace( $search, $replace, $string ); ?>" />

3. Don’t forget to replace yourdomain.com with your actual domain name.

In my opinion the code is not optimal. I'm not a programmer so I was already quite happy with the result.

What I want:

- Replace the hard code URL with a dynamic one (like how the base url is generated)

- optimize the code?

Read the full story on my blog (explaining the canonical tag): http://tinyurl.com/br8n8f

I would love feedback!

Hi

Conceptually this is excellent. One issue is that the current code does not cope with catalogs that are not in the root directory.

// starts canonical tag function - www.webshoptimizer.com
function CanonicalUrl() {
$domain = substr((($request_type == 'SSL') ? HTTPS_SERVER : HTTP_SERVER), 0, -1); // gets the base URL minus the trailing slash
$string = $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']; // gets the url 
$search = '\&osCsid.*|\?osCsid.*'; // searches for the session id in the url
$replace = ''; // replaces with nothing i.e. deletes
echo $domain . ereg_replace( $search, $replace, $string ); // merges the variables and echoing them 
}

The issue is that the HTTPS_SERVER/HTTP_SERVER variables are from the configure.php file and include the domain URL and the directory in which the catalog is installed.

The $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] also includes the directory where the catalog is installed. Consequently if the catalog is in a directory instead of the root, then the directory name is doubled up as a result.

The solution, I think, is to take the same code and use different variables.

function CanonicalUrl() {
$string = $_GET['QUERY_STRING']; // gets everything that is a variable to the right of the ?
$search = '\&osCsid.*|\?osCsid.*'; // searches for the session id in the query string
$replace = ''; // replaces with nothing i.e. deletes
echo $_SERVER[SCRIPT_URI].ereg_replace( $search, $replace, $string ); // uses the script_uri instead and appends the revised query string
}

The configure.php settings are not required. Just use the QUERY_STRING which is everything to the right of the ? in the URL in the replace process.

Use the SCRIPT_URI which is the server/directory/script name, or everything to the left of the ? and add the QUERY_STRING dropping off the osCsid value.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Tony

cheers
Tony
My oscMax Store RecoverToy :: Antique Toy Car Parts
Tony's Tech Blog
WrenMaxwell WebManagement

Hi

Hold that thought. [sCRIPT_URI] is not consistently supported on all servers / PHP combo's. For that matter neither is [REQUEST_URI].

More work required.

cheers
Tony
My oscMax Store RecoverToy :: Antique Toy Car Parts
Tony's Tech Blog
WrenMaxwell WebManagement

The code is creating the Canonical url based on whether the SID is found or not, which isn't the problem with a properly setup shop. The url's that need to be treated are those like

http://somedomain.com/index.php?cPath=1_9

and

http://somedomain.com/index.php?cPath=1_9&...e=1&sort=2d

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I installed this contribution. Unfortunately, when I tested it and compared the URL in the address bar with the one shown in the source, I found that my domain in the source is shown as (www.MYDOMAIN.co) instead of (www.MYDOMAIN.com) !!

Any idea why the "m" was removed and how to get this fixed.

Thanks in advance.

Couldn't we somehow just add something like this to product info?

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css">
<link rel="canonical" href="automated product link">

Is the above possible? If so, does anyone know how to get the href to produce the current product link?

If you put:

<link rel="canonical" href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . (int)$_GET['products_id'],'NONSSL',false); ?>" />

Should achieve that, but I`ve not looked that closely at this new tag yet, so can't be certain there are no issues.

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

If you put:

<link rel="canonical" href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . (int)$_GET['products_id'],'NONSSL',false); ?>" />

Should achieve that, but I`ve not looked that closely at this new tag yet, so can't be certain there are no issues.

Spooks solution works in all cases I've tried. I am wary of the tag, but I need to try to resolve some of the duplicate content that stems from cpath and manufacturers_id. All I can do is wait to see if it works the way it is intended.

As far as this contribution is concerned, I do not see the need to modify any files other than product_info or selected pages based on your particular shop setup.

Is it possible to implement this canonical tag for categories using the similar type of build Spooks came up with? For use in categories such as http://www.mysite.com/optimized-category-6.html. After just a few days several ?cpath and ?manufacturers_id pages are showing up in Google Webmaster Tools as restricted. I cannot imagine it is coincidental.

There are further issues here as categories are output from index.php, which is also yor 'home' page.

You could try this, it will remove any sort, language, currancy, page & filter, only output for manufacturer or category, it may need to be developed further.

<?php 
if (isset($_GET['manufacturers_id']) && tep_not_null($_GET['manufacturers_id'])) { ?>
<link rel="canonical" href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'manufacturers_id=' . $_GET['manufacturers_id'],'NONSSL',false); ?>" />
<?php } elseif (isset($_GET['cPath']) && tep_not_null($_GET['cPath'])) { ?>
<link rel="canonical" href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'cPath=' . $_GET['cPath'],'NONSSL',false); ?>" />
<?php } ?>

;)

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

I installed this contribution. Unfortunately, when I tested it and compared the URL in the address bar with the one shown in the source, I found that my domain in the source is shown as (www.MYDOMAIN.co) instead of (www.MYDOMAIN.com) !!

Any idea why the "m" was removed and how to get this fixed.

Thanks in advance.

i'm having the same issue.

i'm having the same issue.

okay i figured out a rough way to fix the problem.

it looks like the author was looking to remove trailing slashes in the url. however my server doesn't put this trailing slash so it was making my .com or .net into .co and .ne

$domain = substr((($request_type == 'SSL') ? HTTPS_SERVER : HTTP_SERVER), 0, -1); // gets the base URL minus the trailing slash

Remove the [, -1] from the code

so it looks like this

$domain = substr((($request_type == 'SSL') ? HTTPS_SERVER : HTTP_SERVER), 0); // gets the base URL minus the trailing slash

works fine for me now.

As jack said, this contrib is fixing a problem that should'nt be an issue, if you apply the tags I detailed below instead that should suffice (they also remove sid anyway)

;)

Sam

Contributions:

• 1 month later...

Hi.

Thanks for the code, however, it may need a little tweak

mysite.co.uk/index.php?cPath=36_37

and

mysite.co.uk/index.php?cPath=37

I think both should have the same canonical url?

<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.mysite.co.uk/index.php?cPath=37">

I’ve amended the code with

$path = $_GET['cPath'];
if (stripos($path, "_") > 0){$path = substr($path, (stripos($path, "_")+1) );}
?>
<link rel="canonical" href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'cPath=' . $path,'NONSSL',false);?>">

which seems to work.

All comments welcome

Regards.

Ken.

Edited by Ken44

• 5 months later...

There are further issues here as categories are output from index.php, which is also yor 'home' page.

You could try this, it will remove any sort, language, currancy, page & filter, only output for manufacturer or category, it may need to be developed further.

<?php 
if (isset($_GET['manufacturers_id']) && tep_not_null($_GET['manufacturers_id'])) { ?>
<link rel="canonical" href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'manufacturers_id=' . $_GET['manufacturers_id'],'NONSSL',false); ?>" />
<?php } elseif (isset($_GET['cPath']) && tep_not_null($_GET['cPath'])) { ?>
<link rel="canonical" href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'cPath=' . $_GET['cPath'],'NONSSL',false); ?>" />
<?php } ?>

;)

But i cant figure out where paste this code.

Can you explain exactly?

Thanks

Yes your right, but a better solution to that & to my ealier one is:

<?php if (isset($_GET['manufacturers_id']) && tep_not_null($_GET['manufacturers_id'])) { ?><link rel="canonical" href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'manufacturers_id=' . $_GET['manufacturers_id'],'NONSSL',false); ?>" /><?php } elseif ($current_category_id) { ?><link rel="canonical" href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'cPath=' . $current_category_id,'NONSSL',false); ?>" /><?php } ?>

To gamerstronics and anyone else, this code must be placed between the <head> and </head> tags on your index.php page wink.gif

Sam

Contributions:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi.

Thanks for the code, however, it may need a little tweak

mysite.co.uk/index.php?cPath=36_37

and

mysite.co.uk/index.php?cPath=37

I think both should have the same canonical url?

<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.mysite.co.uk/index.php?cPath=37">

I’ve amended the code with

$path = $_GET['cPath'];
if (stripos($path, "_") > 0){$path = substr($path, (stripos($path, "_")+1) );}
?>
<link rel="canonical" href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'cPath=' . $path,'NONSSL',false);?>">

which seems to work.

All comments welcome

Regards.

Ken.

Shouldn't it be mysite.co.uk/index.php?cPath=36_37 rather than mysite.co.uk/index.php?cPath=37 as this would be the correct path ?