• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Wedding Showpiece

jaheli

Hi, I am the webmaster for the Wedding Showpiece website (http://www.weddingshowpiece.com). Approximately 3 weeks ago I submitted the site details for inclusion in the osCommerce showcase but so far it has not been listed. Could someone please let me know a rough timescale for new sites being added to the showcase? Also, will we get any feedback from the site moderators if the decision is taken not to list the site in the showcase?

Please feel free to look around the site. I would love to get some feedback from the community, whether good or bad. There are a number of features and modifications that will be added to the site which will be discussed in seperate threads later.

A great big "Thank You" to all the contributors to the osCommerce project. A great system!

--

Wedding Showpiece

Hey Carl,

I can't help you with any aspect of the showcase as I haven't looked into that.

But I can comment on your site. You are not ready for primetime yet.

My wife and I aren't too crazy about the green theme. Maybe if it was more pastel and lose the WS in the circle. Possibly trade it in for a floral type background.

Both a Home and Catalog link in the breadcrumb trail? Lose one.

A forum for a wedding site?

Links showing me where I might find a cheaper deal than your store. That's mighty nice of you. Guess you can afford to point customers away, LOL. :huh:

The design and layout is pretty stock osC. Although I don't mind the osC look, I would try to spice it up a little.

You need at least:

An SSL certificate

Header Tags SEO v3.0

Ultimate SEO URLs v2.1d ORIGINAL updated

I hope you find this a little useful.

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the feedback, very constructive. Since the site is heading for primetime I will have to pay a lot of attention to your suggestions ;)

- The green theme was requirement from the site owners, but I agree, it would look much nicer as a pastel green. I will add it to the to-do list to discuss.

- Home and Catalogue on the breadcrumb trail. Added to the to-do list to remove one of them.

- The idea behind having a forum is to try to build a community, since most people plan their weddings months and sometimes years in advance and they love to discuss their plans, ideas and ask for asistance from others that have gone through the whole experience. We think it is also a good way of providing some feedback, whether positive or negative, as to how the company's products and services have helped to "make their day".

- Links, links, links, hmmmm, what can I say about them. When a site is new, the owners are caught between a rock and a hard place with regards to what tricks should be used to get better search engine rankings. In this case, we thought that for the time being it would be acceptable to "sell our souls to the devil" in order to benefit from back links from sites with much better rankings. This is a temporary thing and we will get rid of them once the site is established.

- Timescale and budgetting made it necessary to use a stock osC layout. But, you are correct, it does need to be spiced up somewhat. Its the old "Form versus Function" tradeoffs coming into play here. Version 2 of the site will see a new layout being added, but thats a little way off.

- SSL cert is on its way. Its pretty much a MUST in order to get people to trust the site with payment and personal details

- I now realise that the SEO contributions are desperately needed as well as some way of automatically creating "meta description" for each product page generated. These are pretty high on the to-do list.

Thanks again for your feedback which I did find very useful.

--

Carl

Timescale and budgetting made it necessary to use a stock osC layout.

If you use a stock osc layout, then the copyright belongs to osCommerce.

It's one ugly f---er of a site;

The green is too dark, the layout is too boxy.

The green corners of the boxes don't match the green of the boxes.

The green buttons don't match the green of anything else.

I'd suggest to whoever owns this store that they need to have a really beautiful site, something that shows how beautiful their dresses are, for the special girls day. Etc.

View this for an example of an outstanding clothes/apparel shop:

http://www.swedishhasbeens.com/

View this for a nice example of a wedding themed osCommerce site:

http://www.the-wedding-printer.com/

Now view your site.

I try to be as open minded about each site i look at, but as people have said there is no imagination to the layout, a stock oSC layout is fine but the colours are shocking, a very poor choice. I think the owners should look at their target market and then adjust the site to suit their market. The should be more friendly and inviting, more femine, its about a ladys big day but at the moment the site is more suited to selling something like military memrobilia.

I dont help with templates (thats what the seller is for)

th search function will often help, when it dont try this in google.

site:http://www.oscommerce.com/forums then your search word

The first thing that strikes me is there is too much text on the front page. The brides wanna see the goods! Once they like the dresses, then they'll go find your policies and aims and objectives. These things don't belong on your front page. Why don't you make some bigger images of the ones you already have? They look great and if you made a nice big front page with one of those lovely brides on it and some fancy lettering to let them know about the links, etc. it would look great. I looked at a few of the popups, and they are nice and clear, so you could make the images on your site much bigger to draw the eye.

I agree about the green. Why don't you do a mock-up for the owner with a different color scheme and let them see it? And the "WS" logo on the background looks like something industrial... Maybe a fancier font?

However, I love the dresses! And I will be needing a beach-suitable one pretty soon. Definitely exploit those lovely pics!!

Good luck,

Nicole

Could someone please let me know a rough timescale for new sites being added to the showcase?

As the owner of The Wedding Printer, we submitted our site to the showcase 2 months ago. We have not been included to the showcase or have we heard any feedback from the submission.

I would focus on building a site for your audience and not worry about getting listed by the showcase. Spend time where it pays of in $$$$.

jeff

It is amazing what you can do with osCommerce. You just have to get in there and have some fun.

www.the-wedding-printer.com. Currently using OsC with .....will have to add all of contributions in use someday.

- Links, links, links, hmmmm, what can I say about them. When a site is new, the owners are caught between a rock and a hard place with regards to what tricks should be used to get better search engine rankings. In this case, we thought that for the time being it would be acceptable to "sell our souls to the devil" in order to benefit from back links from sites with much better rankings. This is a temporary thing and we will get rid of them once the site is established.

--

Carl

You are welcome Carl. ;)

Having links from other sites is a great idea, but... might I make a suggestion?

Instead of linking to sites that offer similar goods, share links with sites that compliment your target market.

In other words...

Find some wedding related sites that deal with say, planning, flower arrangements, shoes, jewelry, etc... Anything that relates to weddings except what is offered at your site.

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

If you use a stock osc layout, then the copyright belongs to osCommerce.

It's one ugly f---er of a site;

The green is too dark, the layout is too boxy.

The green corners of the boxes don't match the green of the boxes.

The green buttons don't match the green of anything else.

I'd suggest to whoever owns this store that they need to have a really beautiful site, something that shows how beautiful their dresses are, for the special girls day. Etc.

View this for an example of an outstanding clothes/apparel shop:

http://www.swedishhasbeens.com/

Now view your site.

I am quite amazed from the the wedding printer site, How could be this an os commerce website, it's so elegant and extraordinary. The one thing I noticed is the menu in left side.

How to do this?

When you click in a category in topmenu, at the left side it will only show that category and it's subcategory only... how to do this any idea?

for example if you click on Reception at top menu, at the left side it will only show the subcat from the same menu.

Raj basnet

Kathmandu, Nepal

I am quite amazed from the the wedding printer site, How could be this an os commerce website, it's so elegant and extraordinary. The one thing I noticed is the menu in left side.

How to do this?

When you click in a category in topmenu, at the left side it will only show that category and it's subcategory only... how to do this any idea?

for example if you click on Reception at top menu, at the left side it will only show the subcat from the same menu.

Thank you for the compliment. Yes, the site is an osCommerce website. It has a couple of mods and a reworked look and feel.

A quick explanation of the left menu system.

I took the standard left menu structure and modified it. The basic logic for the modification is if the parent category does not equal the current parent category; do not show the sub-categories.

jeff

It is amazing what you can do with osCommerce. You just have to get in there and have some fun.

www.the-wedding-printer.com. Currently using OsC with .....will have to add all of contributions in use someday.

Archived