• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Basic SSL certificate- Whats recommended ?

amitxox

Hello everyone,

We want to install a basic SSL ceriticate for security and giving customers confidence to shop on our site.

What is cheap and recommended for a ssl certificate ?

Too many options so I am confused.

Thanks in advance !

Amit

Rapid SSL

Positive SSL

toyicebear,

how about the stuff that is publicized for like $12-15/yr from places like godaddy.com and register.com. why is that so cheap ? rapidssl is $79/yr cheapest.

i am learning about this so wondering.

amit

Unless you want a fancier seal, go with the cheaper cert. Their purpose is for easing your customers mind, for the most part, so the extra cost just isn't justified.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Unless you want a fancier seal, go with the cheaper cert. Their purpose is for easing your customers mind, for the most part, so the extra cost just isn't justified.

Jack

so what do you suggest ? another reason i am also going for this is because from what i hear it also benefits search engine rankings , is that true ?

among the cheaper ones any suggestions ?

No, the cert has no affect on the search engines, unless you apply it to the whole site, which is a mistake. I don't think there is a big difference between any of the cert providers although now that godaddy is a cert authority, they have more controll over the cert and are able to, in my opinion, provide better support.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 1 month later...
toyicebear,

how about the stuff that is publicized for like $12-15/yr from places like godaddy.com and register.com. why is that so cheap ? rapidssl is $79/yr cheapest.

i am learning about this so wondering.

amit

If you go for a low assurance SSL it does not mather much which "brand" you go for.

So a godaddy one should do just fine.

Rapid SSL depends on where you get it as some Rapid SSl re-sellers sells them for less than 20 USD.

Comodo Positive SSL is 49.90 USD

For those who wish a higher degree of assurance then there are high assurance and EV SSL certs available, but those are quite a bit more expensive and when going for one of those then brand name does actually mather.

Archived