• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

checkout w/o account?

Greetings!

After coming this far, I am recognizing that OS commerce does not alow for guest checkout without a mod. Furthermore, after spending several hours searching and install/testing, I'm beginning to fear that there isn't even a mod for those of us that are running a late model snapshot (i.e. new to OSCommerce). My user base is not going to take kindly to being forced to register at all, so I need to figure a way...

::panic::

I don't know if I'm up to rolling my own yet (though it's not fully out of the realm of possiblity if all else fails), so I'm hoping that I am just not finding what I need through not being able to navigate the mods.

Anyone know of a mod for the most recent snapshots after the payment overhaul that allow guest checkout?

I saw that Ian-san's Guest Account ver 1.0 Pre-November OS at: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...ions,792/page,4 (11/22/2002) might possibly work for us OSnewbies. anyone try it out and have success? ::he asks hoping::

If not, any suggestions?

Thanks much!

Ian-san

Have you recieved any feedback on if your mod is functional with more recent snapshots? I read a thread where you thought it might be a go for later versions, but had not tested it.

indeed I am planning to do so tonight if I get no reply giving further insight. Why ask first?

1) It was noted by Ian-San in a relivant post that while his mod does not make many adjustments to files that have been redone since the checkout system was modified, the implication was that there is some adjustment to such file(s) and it is possible that this could work well now before I have my merchant account wired in, and yet cause trouble after that. I figured I'd get the lay of the land from others as I can't fully evaluate that adiquately, yet (at least I don't think I can).

2) This is a critical part of the equation for my users and I need to take it step by step, get all the information I can, and get it right. Not being an OSC wizard, I thought I'd see if anyone who is more inclided has input.

3) It seems the most relivant mod outside the security issue with sessionid passing, and I though others might benifit form having the question raised.

So the question now becomes: Why the hostility to questions? Or judging from many of your posts, simply why the hostility period?

What's the harm in seeing if someone has tried it out before doing so myself. I've noticed a couple of threads where you take a RTFM type possition, and while it is quite covert here, it's obvious you are unhappy with those who look for what you seem to consider "spoon feeding".

I don't get it myself. If you don't wish to be bothered with questions you consider dumb or premature, perhaps consider scrolling the thread. If the rest of the board also considers my questions to be without merrit, I'm sure they will do so as well, and I will soon drop from your radar.

Otherwise maybe if you stay out of it, someone with a more helpful inclination may wish to lend a hand or not as they see fit. It is a discussion forum after all.

Jon,

Experimenting, trying new things, providing feedback, voicing ideas, developing new functionality and contributing are all part of the 'culture' here. Ron's question was a suggestion to take that bold step, try it and let us know how it goes. Your experience and feedback may help someone in the future.

That being said.

I have Purchase Without Account v0.55 running on the loaded snapshot from Phesis released on Sep 14. Though that snapshot was prior to the change to checkout.

You may start by integrating this contribution into the latest snapshot. The install is fairly straight forward. You can find the v0.55 version here:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...ions,355/page,8

HTH,

Mark

Well no actually considering the little frowny emoticon next to your original "suggestion", and the body of your responses to others questions, I think I'm right on the money.

But really, I'm looking for collaboration not abuse. Feel free to PM me if you must Ron, but I'd be grateful if you'd simply pass my threads by in the future. Including this one.

Thank you!

I suspect I will be blazing the trail here with Ian-Sans mod and my post Nov snapshot, but if there is anyone out there with any thought, suggestions or experience, I would be grateful.

You obviously don't realize what you're saying.

The emoticon I used was NOT frowny...it was confused. Go ahead...try it...pass your mouse over it and look what it says. "Confused"!

:?

I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way.

I'm also sorry you feel the need to try to censor my posts by asking that I pass your threads by. I'll NOT do that for anyone. You are welcome however to not read my posts. :D <--- smiley

Thanks Mark,

I was responding at the same time as you were. My post should read above yours and is not aimed at your response, but I doubt Ron was offering anything like encouragement towards "bold steps" however.

I have already hacked my way through much of the "layout" aspects of this nifty little app, and chose a php app for just that purpose. The guts of the functionallity is another thing at this point, but I will do my best.

In the mean time...

I actually tried v.55 and had troubles, from the folder layout not matching to files not being where I expected, to error messages. Perhaps it was trouble with the wetware however :wink: . Maybe I should attempt it again. I seem to recall comments to the effect that it was not compatable as is though.

I suspect I will be donning the 'ol miners hat and digging in, but my oop skills are pretty green.

Thank you very much for the suggestion!

PS - Mark

I just wanted to clarify. I was clear when I attempted to install v55 that it probably wasn't going to function just like that. Didn't want to sound like your efforts were anything but appreciated. Just stating facts. You had made comments in the README and in a thread about the evolution of v55 that it was intended for earlier versions, and I appreciated that clarity.

I also really appreciate your having made the effort in that direction as it seems one of need.

I fear a little getting my setup customed to the point that it starts having difficulties come upgrade time, so I am especially weary of doing hacks myself, especially at this early stage of understanding. I wonder what others do to stay out of trouble in this regard?

Since there doesn't seem to be any more feedback, I am going to plunge forward and retry v55, as well as tring Ian-sans v1.0 Guest checkout. When I'm done with the attempts, I'm going to post my experiences in a new thread, as this ones a little flamey.

If those fail, I guess I'm going to try to integrate one of them. I am really not prepared (tech wise) to get into the contrib side of things, but hopefully your stuff (or Ian-san's,etc) will provide the jump point to solve my need here.

Jon,

No prob here. Don't underestimate your ability to hack a solution you need. I started with osC last April and knew nothing about php, Apache, MySql. My first challenge was adding the without account functionality. At the time, there was little in the way of source code to help. Folks on the board were debating the merits of allowing customers to checkout without creating an account. Believe me those discussions got real philosophical about the topic.

I just dove in, learned what I could about how the code is structured and put it together. It took me 2 months to complete. Hopefully, you'll crack it sooner having some source to work with.

Good luck and ask questions here when you have them. Folks are real willing to help out, including Ron who is on the board a lot and always contributing.

Mark