• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Warning: Write error - still get after chmod files & directories

knipper

OK... like the title states. I have installed MS2 onto a new domain from copying a current site I have live. I had been having problems and posted other threads. I have them mostly resolved. But here is a new one!

Even though I have gone through the site and changed the permissions on directories and especially the config files, I am still getting the following message:

Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: /home/mysite/public_html/catalog/includes/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file.

I have been using the web/ftp since '92 so I've been doing it a while. Don't know why I've got the issue.

originally chmod'd via FTP the way I always do, then tried chmoding from my control panel. I've changed the file a number of times.... but still get the error.

Any hints what would be causing this anyone?

Steve K AKA - Knipper -

the right user permissions

What file exactly are you changing the permissions on?

What are you setting it to?

640 or 440 or 400

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

I got it. It was the includes directory inside of the catalog directory. It must have been set to 777 which, even though I chmoded the file correctly, it was giving the error. AFter correcting the directory, and the file again the warning went away.

But thank you for your response!

What file exactly are you changing the permissions on?

What are you setting it to?

640 or 440 or 400

Steve K AKA - Knipper -

Just an update. I just uploaded the site to another new domain from the test domain, and had the same issues. For some reason, the chmod changes would not take hold when chmoding via my FTP client. I drove myself NUTS, as I wrote down what I had to change, and in what order for it to get rid of the warning. But it wouldn't work!

So I logged into my control panel, and re-did it through there. WHALLLLAAAAHHHH. Fixed.

I have no idea why it didn't take via FTP. But if anyone else has problem.... give that a shot. Just FYI.

I got it. It was the includes directory inside of the catalog directory. It must have been set to 777 which, even though I chmoded the file correctly, it was giving the error. AFter correcting the directory, and the file again the warning went away.

But thank you for your response!

Steve K AKA - Knipper -

Archived