• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Newsletter Unsubscribe v1.1

After sending newsletters out for several months, fullfilling requests to be removed, or unsubscribed from my newsletter became a sometimes tideous process, with my meager 1000 customer database. So, I sought to automate this process in a way that would allow me to explain to my customer why it is to their benifit to remain subscribed. This process will automatically add an 'Unsubscribe' sentence and link to the bottom of your newsletter. When the customer clicks it, it will take them to a page within your shop, and will allow them to unsubscribe from your newsletter subscription list.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,913

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not directly related to the Unsubscribe issue, but having to do with the Newsletter functionality in general:

I use mojo mail to send out emails relating to my store. Before a mailing, I export all subscribed email addresses and paste them into mojo.

It has almost everything you could ask for from a mailing list script, including a batch send option. It may be worth installing to consider some of the improvements that could be incorporated into OSC - HTML email, auto-un/subscribe, archiving. All it's really missing is a decent link tracker, which I installed separately. (Mojo mail is GPL)

Not bad for CGI :wink:

- GDW

Well, if this program would allow me to be able to send HTML newsletters, then I would be VERY interested in this. As for click tracking, I use the "Ad tracking" contribution, and I add the parameter "ad=whatever" to every link I put in the newsletter, as well as any links I put in advertisments.

I'll take a look at this program. Thanks for the input.

However, I'd still like someone to take a look at MY contribution, and let me know what they think. I'd hate to imaging all that work for naught. Being only my second contribution, this probably took me quite a bit more time than it would the rest of you guys.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Mojo Mail not only lets you send HTML, but it also lets you select who to send HTML to and who to send plain text to all in one mail blast.

It is a very clever peice of software.

BUT!!

I used this once about 18 months ago, and my host took my site down, cut me off and would not take me back as a customer ever again!! :shock:

I had no idea why, and it turned out the Mojo Mail was the cause of the problem.

Apparently it was running as a backend feature that was constantly taking up more then the regular performance requirements. They tracked it down to me, and cut me straight off!

Needless to say I was pissed, I lost that days info from the site, as I backup every night, and they cleaned out the account without prior notice.

But they even tried taking me to court over it, saying I was the cause of their loss of business. Anyhow.... you get the picture.

I still dont know to this day if they could prove it was me/Mojo Mail that did this, but be careful if you do use it, just in case.

You never know it may just have been that they were a crap company...

CC.

Well in any case, I strongly feel that this thread should be focused to the any discussion anyone might have about this particular contribuiton.

I put a decent amount of effort into it, and I like to have feedback from anyone that may have feedback pertaining to it.

Thanks for the advice anyways.

That one went right over my head, CC.

Assuming it was addressed to me.

Lol, I'm not sure about all of that.

Maybe just determined.

Thanks anyway. I think You're a #3.

The most telling of a #3 is probably

and Image-Conscious

(The Narcissistic Personality Disorder)

Basic Fear: Of being worthless

That probably hits a little closer to home. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Well technically I have been proven to be a #5.

But that is a totally different story that is nothing to do with this thread.

So nuff said from me on this one.

However if I do install your mod, I will be sure to feedback my thoughts mate.

CC.

• 4 weeks later...

real I may be the first one commenting on the contrib here - but I hope I can get some help.

I did install the contrib and I think it's a great contrib! Problem however I am running into is that the email that is being sent out is not displaying the correct link to the page.

Instead of showing:

http://www.mydomain.com/catalog/unsubscrib...e.php?emailinfo

It is showing:

http://www.mydomainunsubscribe.php?emailinfo

not sure where to poke around to fix it

also if I try to go directly to

http://www.mydomain/catalog/unsubscribe.php

I get this error:

Fatal error: Failed opening required 'includes/languages/english/FILENAME_UNSUBSCRIBE' (include_path='.:/php/includes:/usr/share/php') in /home/virtual/site12/fst/var/www/html/catalog/unsubscribe.php on line 15

even though the language file was added and the unsubscribe.php file is in the correct file

any help is greatly appreciated!

Yes, in the original file I uploades, I accidentally forgot the app top includes.

However, the second release should have the neccesary changes.

Let me know if it does not.

okay downloaded v 1.1 and installed - I can now reach the unsubscribe file when I type the correct address into the address bar, but if the link via email is still incorrect - it is still presenting like this:

http://www.mydomain.comunsubscribe.php/?emailinfo

instead of

http://www.mydomain.com/catalog/unsubscrib....php/?emailinfo

ideas?

Yes, you need a slash in the url. I used variables that I though best, but since then, it has been pointed out that there are better one's I can use that will alleviate this problem.

If you can wait another day or two, when I get time, I'll upload a new version that will fix this problemfor you. Otherwise, you can open the script that creates the link itself, and inset a hard coded forward slash.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Yes, you need a slash in the url. I used variables that I though best, but since then, it has been pointed out that there are better one's I can use that will alleviate this problem.

If you can wait another day or two, when I get time, I'll upload a new version that will fix this problemfor you. Otherwise, you can open the script that creates the link itself, and inset a hard coded forward slash.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

I just went and downloaded it, should I wait? It sounds like an easy fix, will there be other changes.

(I covet your graphics :) )

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]

There are no other changes for this right nowl other than the installation instructions, and the variables that I'm using to create the path of the unsubscript module.

In the Future, I'm looking at adding the capibility to send the newsletter in HTML, and change the unsubscribe link to an <a href> accordingly.

Thnaks for the complement. Some of the artists that we have that work on our site are from this very forum. If you are interested in their work, pm me, and I will forward their contact inofrmation.

• 1 month later...

After installing the unsubscribe newsletter 1.1, I get the following error:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare tep_session_start() (previously declared in /home/resomedi/public_html/shop/catalog/includes/functions/sessions.php:67) in /home/resomedi/public_html/shop/catalog/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 66

at the url:

any ideas why this is? I assume it has something to do with how my sessions are stored, but who knows. Thanks for the great module, and your time!

[email protected]

Jesse Rooney

• 7 months later...

Just installed this mod, any luck yet with the html <a href> thing. I have the wysiwyg contrib and even though I modified the "add html" to include the link it shows up but is not clickable. Any ideas?

• 2 months later...

Hi

I'm in the same situation as Terry. I have the HTML newsletter contribution installed OK.

The unsubscribe contrib adds the correct link to the bootom of the email if I disable the WYSIWYG editing for the newsletter. If I enable it it adds the text for the unsubscribe link but it isn't clickable.

I've tried a few ways to get round this but no success yet. If anyone has combined the "WYSIWYG HTML Area (Send HTML Newsletter v1.7)" with newsletter unsubscribe can they post the code here please.

Thanks

Tim

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I just installed this contribution, but I have one problem I can't figure out (had others that I fixed):

After copy-pasting the URL from the email to my browser, I get to http://www.madab-il.com/catalog/unsubscrib...il=ethan@<no spam!>.com, which shows me the unsubscribe page.

When I click on the button, however, I'm directed to http://www.madab-il.com/catalog/unsubscrib...il=ethan@<no spam!>.com?osCsid=6442bff62650d641f69e88d9a99fe751, or some othe sID. the unsubscribe_done does't seperate the two parameters being passed, and tells me that the email address below is not on the database: ethan@<no spam!>.com?osCsid=6442bff62650d641f69e88d9a99fe751

I tested a little, and found that if I replace the '?' with a '&', it will in fact work. The question is, where would I put this fix, and why is this problem occuring?

Other then that, there are several fixes that have to be made for MS2.2, such as putting all the defines in the filenames.php file, and calling to the file within DIR_WS_CATALOG (would have fixed problems other people mentioned earlier.)

Alother modification worth making is in unsubscribe_done, telling customers that they can always re-subscribe by going into their (link) account manager.

The problem I mentioned is one cookie I could use some help cracking...

-Ethan

I've uploaded my fixes to this Contribution. I think that I have covered all of the operational problems, or at least the ones for text email. If this doesn't fix your problem, please post here and I'll take a look at it.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.