osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Product Sort Order

Mark Russell

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this allow you to give different sort orders to the same product which is linked into different categories?

I.E. 5" spanner is in category cartools and linked to category hometools. Can I give it a sort order of 1 in the cartools and sort order of 100 in hometools. A brief look at the code would imply not. I don't think it changes the products_to_categories table?

Regards.

In reply to myself :-)

I modified the categories->products table to have a sort order. When a new link is made, the sort order value is given MAX(sortorder)+1.

In the admin category section I have included buttons to move the product up and down.

My code sucks a bit and I wouldn't feel right about making this a contribution, but if you are intrested, let me know and I can post changes here or email them to you.

Regards.

:ph34r:

• 4 months later...

I just installed this contribution, along with all of the code fixes. Everything looks fine from admin. I only have five products for now and no matter how I set the sort order, the order never changes when I view the products via my shop. Does anyone know why this may be happening?

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 5 months later...

I am very close to finishing my clients site. I just need to find a fix similar to Jack_mcs's issue.

I installed Product Sort v1.4 and everything seems to be installed correctly, no errors. However, the sort order is not changing at all in the product list.

I have installed these other contributions, in case there is a known conflicting issue:

Description_in_Product_Listing_MS2_v.2.5

AddQuantityToListingv1.1

Here is the page i'm talking about: http://www.firehousecoffee.com/coffee/index.php?cPath=21

If anyone needs the content of a file or sql please let me know.

I will really appreaciate this. I really need this to work.

Thanks.

Al

• 3 weeks later...
I am very close to finishing my clients site. I just need to find a fix similar to Jack_mcs's issue.

I installed Product Sort v1.4 and everything seems to be installed correctly, no errors. However, the sort order is not changing at all in the product list.

I have installed these other contributions, in case there is a known conflicting issue:

Description_in_Product_Listing_MS2_v.2.5

AddQuantityToListingv1.1

Here is the page i'm talking about: http://www.firehousecoffee.com/coffee/index.php?cPath=21

If anyone needs the content of a file or sql please let me know.

I will really appreaciate this. I really need this to work.

Thanks.

Al

I got the same problem. I installed the newest version Product Sort V1.4, everything looks fine in admin, and I am able to set the numbers in sort order column, no any error message, however, it just won't change anything.... :(

Edited by iecwillow

• 1 month later...

Can anyone help me out downloaded the recent version of this V1.4 and when i put the sql in through myphp i got an error. I tried again and i got a different error.

This is the sql

ALTER TABLE products ADD `products_sort_order` INT(3);

INSERT INTO configuration (configuration_id, configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, last_modified, date_added, use_function, set_function) VALUES (263, 'Display Product Sort Order', 'PRODUCT_SORT_ORDER', '0', 'Do you want to display the Product Sort Order column?', 8, 29, '', '', NULL, NULL);

And this is the second error

SQL-query:

ALTER TABLE products ADD `products_sort_order` INT( 3 )

MySQL said: 

#1060 - Duplicate column name 'products_sort_order'

Can i do the rest of the installation or not can someone help please

Cheers:(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

installed everything...I dont see anything missing...and my categories page is blank in the admin....any help?

oh...and when I run a SQL query "ALTER TABLE products ADD `products_sort_order` INT(3)" I get this:

"Error

SQL-query :

ALTER TABLE products ADD `products_sort_order` INT(3)

MySQL said:

Duplicate column name 'products_sort_order' "

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've just installed this contribution on MS2.2. No problems everything working EXCEPT when you go back into a product admin page the number in the sort order box is missing. I often change quantities and If I don't remember to re-input a value in the sort order box it changes to 0 by default and messes everything up. It's a real pain? Any ideas?

Hi,

I've just installed this contribution on MS2.2. No problems everything working EXCEPT when you go back into a product admin page the number in the sort order box is missing. I often change quantities and If I don't remember to re-input a value in the sort order box it changes to 0 by default and messes everything up. It's a real pain? Any ideas?

Anyone???

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Installed the contribution, no problems what so ever, thanks.

one problem though... the sorting is not working on the search results listings.

It seems that there are instructions to modify the languages file:

catalog/includes/languages/english/advanced_search.php

but no there are not instructions to modify the actual advanced_search_result.php file....

any ideas?

-avi

-avi

http://otn.com complete web site design, specializing in custom programming (php/perl/mysql/postgress/javascript/ajax/c/c++/python/ruby) databases, shopping carts, integration of web site with existing business systems (point of sales, accounting systems, etc.)

web site hosting, maintenance, promotion, marketing, search engine optimization (seo) and more.

review the instructions and make sure you applied all the changes correctly.

I just finished installing it, and it works just fine, it does "remember" the sort order in the edit page.

the only thing that does not work is sorting in the "advanced search results" page (see previous message)

-avi

Hi,

Anyone???

-avi

http://otn.com complete web site design, specializing in custom programming (php/perl/mysql/postgress/javascript/ajax/c/c++/python/ruby) databases, shopping carts, integration of web site with existing business systems (point of sales, accounting systems, etc.)

web site hosting, maintenance, promotion, marketing, search engine optimization (seo) and more.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one more problem to this...

One category has 38 products in it... so there is 2 pages of items. When i click on the next page or #2 for second page... it sorts it by product alphabeticly. Can someone help me fix this...

I have one more problem to this...

One category has 38 products in it... so there is 2 pages of items.  When i click on the next page or #2 for second page... it sorts it by product alphabeticly.  Can someone help me fix this...

Support would be awsome...

If someone could help me turn off the sort= when a user click NEXT PAGE/PREV/etc...

I do not want this to sort by asc product name! This needs to continue sorting in the order i have them w/ this contrib...

-- Jeremy

Check the downloads page for bug fixes. I think you'll find the answer has been there all along.

11 May 2005 - Product Sort 1.4b - Fix a small bug is what i can find to be the latest bug fix and what I have installed ... checked over few times also.. Do you have this working by chance? Or drop a lil more details about it?

--Jeremy

11 May 2005 - Product Sort 1.4b - Fix a small bug is what i can find to be the latest bug fix and what I have installed ...  checked over few times also..  Do you have this working by chance?  Or drop a lil more details about it? 

Recap to new vewiers...

I have a

Result Pages:  1  2  [Next >>]

and it contiously resorts my items by Product Name.  I would like to know how to stop this remove it if thats the case.

--Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I installed this great contribution, however, no number shows in the "Sort Order" column on the admin/categories.php page. I'm able to set the sort order while I'm editing the products, but after preview and updated, re-hit the edit button to check the product, the sort order number I just inputted disappeared, but the products did successfully sort ordered as I set. So weird... Please help...

Hi,

I've got this contribution up and running fine, however when I enter a sort order number on the product edit page, it defaults back to 0 each time I go into back to re-edit the product. I can't figure out why it's not holding the number entry like the other boxes. Any ideas why it would do this and how I can fix it?

I saw some else had this problem a few topics back, but there was no clear cut answer. Please help.

I did alter the code so that the sort order column doesn't display on the index page, but I don't think that's my problem.

Thanks,

Walt

I use an older version of this contrib, but one thing I really wished it could do its the sort by featured items the way Amazon.com does it.

Basically this is how it works on Amazon.com when you do a featured item sort (default sort on their page), the featured items are listed first with a random product from another related category are inserted into the list every 5 or so products to encourage cross selling and by showing the featured items first they are a little more likely to buy as the best products are first and they don't have to dig to find them. :thumbsup:

So anyone know how we can do a sort with the featured products first and a random product inserted every so often?

Thanks in advance!

Most Valuable OsCommerce Contributions:

Also Purchased (AP) Preselection (cuts this resource hogging query down to nothing) -- Contribution 3294

FedEx Automated Labels -- Contribution 2244

RMA Returns system -- Contribution 1136

Sort Products By Dropdown -- Contribution 4312

Ultimate SEO URLs -- Contribution 2823

Credit Class & Gift Voucher -- Contribution 282

Cross-Sell -- Contribution 5347