• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Second Currency

Jack_mcs

This contribution allows a second currency to be displayed while still sending the default currency at checkout. This is important since some payment modules require payment in US funds. To accomplish that, the currency in the shop must be set to US prior to confirming the order, which makes it difficult for customers from different countries to realize what they are actually paying. With this contribution, both currencies can be displayed at various places in the shop, depending upon an admin setting, so that the customer always knows what he is paying.

Jack

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Code appearing on the page usually means some control character is missing. So you probably missed a character while copying/pasting the code.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Great contribution Jack.

I noticed a typo "$currecny" at line 175 of the install.txt for boxes/curriencies.php and also in the catalog/includes/boxes/curriencies.php:

$activeCurrency = tep_not_null($currecny) ? $currency : $currency_alt;

If you leave the spelling of $currecny as is $currency_alt will always be selected which displays correctly.

If you correct the spelling of $currecny then $currency will always be selected (because of the settings in application_top.php) which doesn't display correctly.

I have changed mine to $activeCurrency = tep_not_null($currency_alt) ? $currency_alt : $currency;

What do you think?

Byron

I have a question re the behaviour of the curriencies box. I have 2 currencies, CAD (default) and USD. When changing from CAD to USD in the currencies box, page displays change to USD. If you then click on a Category menu or What's New, the page displays change to USD (CAD). Is this the design intent?

The code in question is in application_top.php

if (isset($_GET['currency']) && $currencies->is_set($_GET['currency'])) {

$currency = $_GET['currency'];

$currency_alt = $_GET['currency'];

} else {

$currency = (USE_DEFAULT_LANGUAGE_CURRENCY == 'true') ? LANGUAGE_CURRENCY : DEFAULT_CURRENCY;

if (! tep_not_null($currency_alt)) $currency_alt = $currency;

}

I changed my version to the following so that when changing from CAD to USD in the currencies box, page displays change to USD (CAD) immediately.

if (isset($_GET['currency']) && $currencies->is_set($_GET['currency'])) {

$currency_alt = $_GET['currency'];

$currency = ($currency_alt != DEFAULT_CURRENCY) ? DEFAULT_CURRENCY : $currency_alt;

} else {

$currency = (USE_DEFAULT_LANGUAGE_CURRENCY == 'true') ? LANGUAGE_CURRENCY : DEFAULT_CURRENCY;

if (! tep_not_null($currency_alt)) $currency_alt = $currency;

}

Please advise,

Byron

Are you asking if they both should be shown or did you want the order reversed? If the former, that is controlled by the setting in admin. For the latter, you would need to edit the code.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Are you asking if they both should be shown or did you want the order reversed? If the former, that is controlled by the setting in admin. For the latter, you would need to edit the code.

Jack

I didn't want the order reversed but rather the currency change to occur on the prices immediately if I was switching from CAD to USD, i.e. show as USD (CAD) rather than just USD. The original code required an additional action such as a display of a category to invoke a currency class function to display USD (CAD). My code change still works for the setting in admin.

Regards,

Byron

As long as you only offer the two currencies, that shouldn't be a problem. But I didn't test your code change so you should run through an order and make sure everything works correctly.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

As long as you only offer the two currencies, that shouldn't be a problem. But I didn't test your code change so you should run through an order and make sure everything works correctly.

Jack

I added the EUR currency for further testing and my code works fine through the life cycle of orders. I use SPPC Quantity Price Breaks and have made 2nd currency "title" and "display" changes to PriceFormatter, product_listing, shopping_cart, specials, whats_new, featured and associated boxes and had to make sure the formatting works throughout as well. Currency title and displays work correctly for all 3 modes, CAD, EUR, EUR(CAD) and any other currency set in admin.

Byron

• 3 months later...

Hi there

awesome contribution but it seems I'm facing some issues! My default currency is Canadian dollars but I also wish to display US dollars at the same time. Once I installed this it seemed to be fine, once you log on to my site www.mygamingmart.com both prices appeared simultaneously

Now if you log onto the site, ONLY prices in USD is shown, then if you change to Canadian dollar from the currency panel it ONLY shows CAD. THEN if you go click on "top" - it shows the DUAL prices! Very weird

I want to make it so that when someone visits the site, BOTH currencies will be displayed at all time!

Plz help!

Thanks

MR!

Be sure all of the pages are listed in the option in admin.

Jack

Jack not sure what you mean by this - I thought the admin thing was for it NOT to show dual currency - I noticed in the default one it was "shopping_cart.php"

Plz advise!

Thanks

I meant to say that if you have a page listed it won't show so be sure that only those pages are listed.

Jack

Jack thanks always for the prompt replies, but I'm gonna have to trouble you again mate! :(

It's not working, till I do all those steps on my site!! Now if you go into my site, it always shows US dollars as default currency, in order for your dual currency to work, someone has to choose CAD$ THEN go to "top" page - then it only starts to show dual currency! :(

Let me explain what I wish for:

As soon as someone logs onto my site, BOTH currencies should be displayed right off the bat - with CAD$ being Default and the US$ value displayed as the second one!

Pls suggest!

Thanks!

Monty

You could change the code in includes/application_top.php to pre-set that. It isn't something that would work in many shops since there are more than two currencies. But this might get you started. I haven't tested it. In includes/application_top.php, find

$currency_alt = (USE_DEFAULT_LANGUAGE_CURRENCY == 'true') ? LANGUAGE_CURRENCY : DEFAULT_CURRENCY;
 }
 /***** End Second Currency *****/

and change to

$currency_alt = (USE_DEFAULT_LANGUAGE_CURRENCY == 'true') ? LANGUAGE_CURRENCY : DEFAULT_CURRENCY;
 }
$currency_alt = CAD;

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

You could change the code in includes/application_top.php to pre-set that. It isn't something that would work in many shops since there are more than two currencies. But this might get you started. I haven't tested it. In includes/application_top.php, find
 }

and change to

}
$currency_alt = CAD;

Jack

Fantastic tip! it is working now but one little problem has been created!

The box where you choose currency now continually highlights the US Dollar one! I don't know why though!!! Because all the prices are in CAD!! any suggestions or should I just remove that box completely and keep your option!!

Thanks a million Jack!

cheers

monty

I don't see any reason to keep the infobox since both currencies are showing. That makes the infobox not work correctly and would confuse the customers.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Jack ,

This is a great contribution

I have used it myself. Thanks

But i have a few doubts

My Default currency is INR, and in admin->Configuration->My Store, set the "Switch To Default Language Currency" option to false.

So the prices are shown in INR. What should i do to display the equivalent USD also.

I need to display like this INR (USD)

Thanks in advance

You need to add USD as a currency. It should display that way then unless you have the pages excluded in the settings of this contribution.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thank you Jack for your quick reply.

Actually i dint tell the full story here.

I already had added USD in my store as a second currency.

Since my default currency is INR all the prices are shown in INR when the site is loaded first time.

I want to show INR(USD) when site is loaded first time.

But when i switch the currency from INR to USD from the currencies dropdown it shows both. That is like this INR (USD).

Is there any way to show both like this INR (USD) when the site is loaded for the first time.

Thanks in advance.

Hmm, I realize this is a very long thread but if you start at the beginning and read through it, you may find the answer.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 4 months later...

Hmm, I realize this is a very long thread but if you start at the beginning and read through it, you may find the answer.

Jack

Hello Jack,

Nice contrib,

i habe only one problem:

I cant't see in admin>

admin->Configuration->My Store, set the "Switch To Default Language Currency" option.

Your Install Sql script :

TABLE `orders` ADD `currency_alt` CHAR( 3 ) NULL AFTER `currency` ;

ALTER TABLE `orders` ADD `currency_value_alt` DECIMAL( 14, 6 ) NULL AFTER `currency_value` ;

INSERT INTO `configuration_group` ( `configuration_group_id` , `configuration_group_title` , `configuration_group_description` , `sort_order` , `visible` )

VALUES ('544', 'Second Currency', 'Second Currency site wide options', '30' , '1');

INSERT INTO configuration (configuration_id, configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added, use_function)

VALUES (NULL,'Disable Dual Display on these pages', 'SECOND_CURRENCY_DISABLE_DISPLAY', 'shopping_cart.php', 'Enter a comma separated list of the files that should not display both currencies.', '544', '10', NULL, now(), NULL);

I cant see this option!

Regards Kummi :huh:

If you didn't get an error when making the database changes, then you will need to search your database to see what the problem is. If it did fail, it is probably due to configuration group ID being a duplicate. In that case, change the 544 to something else and try again.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons