• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Am I overdoing it on my new splash page?

skeedo

You asked for 'overdo' so I should possibly shut up... but.. ehm :D

I think ANY splash screen is overdone.

There's no need for them, it's just

another needless action you ask from your potential customer.

If you need the disclaimer put it on your main page and use PHP to let it dissapear on the second load (if there's a session do not load it).

Mattice

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

I don't think there is any point to the animation? Is the animation there because of the animation, or is it there to supplement your site? The latter I don't see :wink: ...

Another issue is the filesize.

130K for the animated gif.

30K for the background.

123K for the music file (wav).

2K for the document.

Way too much. My suggestion would be to use MM flash for your splashpage. This way you can make a more appealing animation with a low filesize, incorporate music easily and compress it to mp3, etc. ... in other words, you can trim down the size big time. Simply use a flash-detection page to redirect the user to the flash splashpage.

If one doesn't have flash, use a static image instead of an animation. Reduce the quality of the bg jpg-file to 40% (without losing noticable quality). If you decide to embed music in an html-document, a midi-file would be the way to go ... but I would loose it for the static html splashpage.

Take care, Richard

I think ANY splash screen is overdone.

There's no need for them, it's just

another needless action you ask from your potential customer.

I would normally agree with you, but here he is selling cigarettes which is illegal to sell to minors... I think a entrance page making the person say "yes I am 18, let me in" is a very good idea in this case...

I'm not entirely sure, but it may be required by law in certain areas also (again I am not 100% sure but wouldn't doubt that certain areas (USA)/states require a page like this)....

the only thing I noticed was the twin towers with the words "SmokeCity" over them... some folks might get the wrong impression on that.

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing

- Edmund Burke

the only thing I noticed was the twin towers with the words "SmokeCity" over them... some folks might get the wrong impression on that.

Ha yea I see where you are going with that...they were never meant to be the twin towers though, just a normal city.

Archived