• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

USPS Backup Contribution & Zip Code Database

zelf

I just uploaded this USPS Backup Contribution to the shipping modules contribution area. Because of the zip code database containing almost 80,000 records the file size is over the 300K auto contribution limit. The server stated the contribution I uploaded would have to be manually approved before being made public. Not sure how long that will take.

In the meantime I am making the file available temporarily from my server at: http://www.teradigm.us/uspsBackup.zip

It is about 1.2 MB. I have it working on one of our sites right now. It is working great. We are not losing money anymore on flat shipping rates. When USPS flashes back on the rates are spot on for the services I currently have available.

There are some limitations as I started programming this 12 hours ago. Currently it only supports domestic shipping and only Priority, First Class, and Express Mail. Rulesets for weights, and other USPS service method limitations will need to be programmed in, but it should be a far site better than just using flat rates or free shipping!

I am looking forward to others taking the contribution and adding their USPS shipping needs to the contribution. I will add more as I have time.

The example below show my site where USPS is still not connected and below it my USPS Backup Contribution is pulling rates according to the official USPS zip zone charts.

usps_backup.gif

Edited by zelf

Bloody genious! Thank you so much!

Thanks. There are many applications that this zip code database could be used for. Radius from local store, etc. I am also in the process of building a failover switch for USPS Live for when it returns an "Error..." message to auto switch to the backup module for that user so no sales are lost.

I will be releasing the failover as a separate contrib however, because I am designing it to switch for that user to the failover shipping module of the admin's choice e.g. flat rates, etc.

One thing though, it appears the only options that work are Express and Priority even though I selected all for testing purposes. I saw in the code that there is another section that is commented out so I switched the commented lines out and still no luck.

One thing though, it appears the only options that work are Express and Priority even though I selected all for testing purposes.

Right, this is actually documented in the read me. I need to add several more options. Will be working on this shortly.

Whoops! Sorry I have the big boy syndrome (hate to RTFM)

No problem. I wrote this in roughly twelve hours during the USPS crisis. Now I need to go in and produce an actual release candidate. The possibilities are fantastic and there may be many contribs that can be developed off of the zip code database.