• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

We've been bilked (credit card theft)

WoodsWalker

Hi, Folks,

I'm happy to say that in 13 years of accepting credit cards (e-commerce for the last 4 months), this is the first time we've lost money due to credit card theft. The amount was $608. That part I'm not so happy about.

I'm writing this post simply to outline the characteristics of the order, as, in retrospect, it contained several red flags which I will now be more sensitive to.

1) It was from Indonesia. Nothing against Indonesia or its people, but it's a very long way from Canada, so there can be no possible recourse in case of problems with orders. Also, it's somewhat of an unusual place for a high-ticket order to originate from.

2) Not that this makes much sense, but the "buyer" seemed to have trouble coming up with his own address. The first one he gave us looked funny, even for an international address. I tried to look up the postal code and found it did not exist (wrong number of digits). After a few emails back and forth he came up with an address that looked more like a real one.

3) The order was for one of our most expensive items, and he wanted it shipped express.

4) He was using someone else's email address.

Considering all these irregularities, I should have done more verifying. Our Merchant Services provider has an 800 number for verifying cardholder address, for instance. But, naive me, this has never happened before, so I thought all was well.

I guess we'll have to run a tighter ship.

~Wendy

Maybe when they open the door to accept the package a mosquito will bite them and give them jungle fever or something.

John Lennon said it, "Instant Karma's gonna get you..." (what goes around comes around).

;)

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

• 2 weeks later...

You will eventually get a good eye for fraudulent orders. My first year in business I lost about $1000. Now I probably lost $100 - $200/year to friendly frauds.

One thing that can slip past your standard foreign fraud is when they put through a test order for a small amount. So you have to be diligent with your fraud checks. Don't get lazy. Spend a couple minutes on that inexpensive order and do your best to see it is legit.

Maybe when they open the door to accept the package a mosquito will bite them and give them jungle fever or something.

John Lennon said it, "Instant Karma's gonna get you..." (what goes around comes around).

;)

HAA! You funny. Is your pony still alive? :lol:

Wendy, that's too bad. I'm sorry you lost so much money (Bad Mcgraws! **shakes fist**) But if you still have the guy's email or anything, that 419 site might be an idea. Those people are brilliant and they just be mean to scammers for fun. It seems that you can send them the info and they will decide whether to torture or not. Fun!!

HAA! You funny. Is your pony still alive?

Yes Ma'am he is.

But, it's getting kinda' "deep" in here...

:o

When you sending that shovel?

:unsure:

;)

:lol:

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Yes Ma'am he is.

But, it's getting kinda' "deep" in here...

:o

When you sending that shovel?

:unsure:

;)

OH POOP! <_< I forgot... On it's way... Hang in there! I'm leaving right now for the post office.

PS - Some people keep them outdoors... Just sayin'

Archived