• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Google Base issues

rs2k

I'm trying to figure out why our Google Base rankings have suffered so much lately.

On one of our stores we used to get 2% of the items listed as hits on our site. (i.e. if we had 3000 items listed we would get 60 hits) Lately that number has slowly dropped to 0.1% Is there a good number that we should be shooting for

Could duplicate content cause bad rankings in Google Base. We had a problem with SEO URLS that caused duplicate content for some time... This has been resolved.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm trying to figure out why our Google Base rankings have suffered so much lately.

On one of our stores we used to get 2% of the items listed as hits on our site. (i.e. if we had 3000 items listed we would get 60 hits) Lately that number has slowly dropped to 0.1% Is there a good number that we should be shooting for

Could duplicate content cause bad rankings in Google Base. We had a problem with SEO URLS that caused duplicate content for some time... This has been resolved.

Duplicate content could definitely be the culprit. If there's too much of repetitious information noticed in the feed, it might just discredit the entire thing. But typically for me that's been resolved by a simple feed re-upload? Perhaps, rather, it is your industry that's down, as opposed to your store?

• 1 month later...

I've also found that Google shopping doesn't seem to generate much business anymore. It did for the first 6 months of Froogle's existence. Although we have no. 1 listings under generic search results we appear way down for their shopping listings and that is despite having followed all their advice about what fields to include and using Google's own category structure. When I check the top listings they seem to have ignored all this and many even ship their products from overseas!

A couple of things that I did notice is that larger companies seem to get higher rankings and that those whose satisfaction ratings are actually picked up by Google have a better chance of getting business.

Archived