• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Tracking Visitors

WoodsWalker

Hi, All!

I've just installed the SuperTracker contribution, which is a good one, but I was hoping for something that would show me how many visitors I was getting per day, so I can monitor whether traffic is increasing or decreasing. Other features would be fine, too - but this is the main one. I suppose I could simply install a counter, but then one cannot differentiate between breathers and bots.

Is there a simple contribution out there for osC that will do this for me, or should I just download the logs from my ISP and get a log analysis program (and if so, can anybody recommend a good one?).

As always, thank you for your wise input (I've been putting it to use, I can tell you!) :)

~Wendy

You could use Google analytics - there's an osc contrib to integrate it fully and will provide you with an enormous range of stats without putting any extra load on your db server

Your host should have some kind of AWStats installed on your server right?? Thats what i use for it.

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Hi!

My host has log files I can download, and also has an online copy of Webalizer for generating reports. I find Webalizer a little lacking.

Also, I noticed while looking at Webalizer yesterday (I hadn't looked in a long time) that about 20 days in the middle of every recent month were completely missing! I emailed my ISP (Bell Canada), and got the usual cryptic message back that the problem had been resolved, with no details as to what it was. The log files now appear complete. But I don't know if I can really trust them.

In any case, I've just installed Header Tags SEO and am generally tweaking my pages in order to get more exposure, and instead of perusing log files and reports, the real sign of success will be when I am too busy filling all the orders to worry about SEO-ing! :D

Thanks,

~Wendy

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Google analytics!!! Freaking Sweet. Use it!

I am currently just learning osCommerce and PHP, but am always willing to help out.

Have successfully installed the following: Discount Coupons, UPS shipping module, Ultimate SEO URL's, Easy Meta Tags for SEO 1.0, Google XML Sitemap SEO v1.3, HTML Editor for Email and Newsletters.

• 1 month later...

Yeah Google Analytics rocks and its free. What I like is that you can set up a funnel to see exactly at which point your customers abandon the checkout process. You can also integrate it with your adwords campaign to easily see your ROI all in one interface

• 7 months later...

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/322298-how-to-identify-order-problems/page__p__1341178__hl__supertracker%20google%20analytics__fromsearch__1entry1341178

After reading this and other threads, there's one thing I'm not quite sure about...Is Google Analytics redundant with Supertracker or do they each have some unique features and maybe I should install both? I already have just basic Google Analytics (code in the footer, nothing fancy yet) installed and my I can see some info from Awstats in my cPanel. Is Supertracker worthwhile for me? Or maybe I should change my Google Analytics install a bit and use some of the code provided in some contributions?

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7200 or http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/3756

Keep in mind that any contribution, including Google Analytics, creates an increased load on your site, each time a page is accessed. Web site traffic analyzers provided by your host only creates a load on the server (not your site individually) and only one time per day and usually at midnight.

Having said that, getting information is always a trade off on performance. The more information you want will result in an increased hit on performance. It is a matter of what you are willing to give up in order to get that information.

Community Bootstrap Edition, Edge

Avoid the most asked question. See How to Secure My Site and How do I...?

Keep in mind that any contribution, including Google Analytics, creates an increased load on your site, each time a page is accessed. Web site traffic analyzers provided by your host only creates a load on the server (not your site individually) and only one time per day and usually at midnight.

Having said that, getting information is always a trade off on performance. The more information you want will result in an increased hit on performance. It is a matter of what you are willing to give up in order to get that information.

Good points...so do you know what Supertracker does that Google Analytics doesn't do? It must do something unique or why would anyone even bother with it..

Archived