• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Instructional Video Shop

desiredin

Well, I started this site way back earlier this year. And I have heavily modified it to look and do what I want it to do. But before I do the finishing touches on it, I figured I would get your feedback on it. I left it for a month or two and came back to it once my excitement level and emotional attachment to it faded. I still think it looks good, but there are some things I think should be changed around, but I want an un-biased opinion before I take the scalpel to it. As it may just be myself.

A little background on the site:

I have gone wth a black theme, with transparency. I removed the overall transparency (still can be seen when products are added to the catalog). And have added transparent PNG support for older browsers so I could use PNGs. You can see them at work with dynamic images in the header, as well as the Vimeo product image. The dynamic images come up in the header on various pages (like contact us, different catalog categories, etc, and eventually on the majority of pages).

I have also integrated Shadowbox which is a lightbox style image handler for enlarged images, as well as video, other web pages, etc. At this point I am not sure if I will have the video autoload in the product_info page, or in a shadowbox style. To get an idea between the two, check out the test category. The products in question are Vimeo Autoplay, and You've Got Mail.

So any feedback on the site would be much appreciated. I am particularily concerned with navigation, ugliness, and in-consistencies. Thanks in advance.

http://www.visceralmagic.com

i like the header image, but you have that black bar cutting it up.. Make it just black around the buttons and maybe move the bread crumb somehwere else so it doesnt interfere.

otherwise, you did a good job at taking the stock oscommerce and making it look better.

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

I think the overall look and feel of the site is pretty sweet. Dark and mysterious, good fit for a site selling magic. I like dark and mysterious things, and well, who doesn't like magic?

Critically speaking, where it says "Core Magic Training" in the top banner is kinda iffy. Hard to read unless you really squint, or look at the footer, where it's spelled out in plain text. It seems like if I click any link other than a text link, it more or less freezes the page. It doesn't lockup or crash my browser, but once I click on a graphic link, like the PayPal seal, the cursor reverts to a pointer, the page doesn't change, and all the other links stop working. It just kinda dies, in a really strange and hard-to-explain manner. I can close the browser, use the browser controls, like the "back" button, open new tabs and all that, but every aspect of the site itself ceases to function. I tried looking at the test category, same result if I click any of the images on the product pages, or the "click to enlarge" links. Also, the text links for play swf, etc, result in the same page freezing behavior. Most peculiar. The Vimeo video, however, did load and autostart.

Namasté,

Russ

One: people are not wearing enough hats. Two: matter is energy. In the universe, there are many energy fields which we cannot normally perceive. Some energies have a spiritual source which act upon a person's soul. However, this soul does not exist ab initio, as orthodox Christianity teaches. It has to be brought into existence by a process of guided self-observation. However, this is rarely achieved, owing to man's unique ability to be distracted from spiritual matters by everyday trivia.

• 2 weeks later...

works ok in FF3 though it's disconcerting that the index page has only 'MAIN TEXT HERE' and when I click "more info" it adds the product to the cart rather than displaying the product info

Doh! Sorry I hadn't responded sooner. When I reviewed your site (and others) I was apparently infected with some kind of malware, virus, or something that was affecting my browser. It wasn't able to properly display javascript, flash elements, stuff like that. It's fixed up now, and your pages are working as they should. I wouldn't have thought of putting a video in a shadowbox, but it works. Poor cat. ;)

Namasté,

Russ

One: people are not wearing enough hats. Two: matter is energy. In the universe, there are many energy fields which we cannot normally perceive. Some energies have a spiritual source which act upon a person's soul. However, this soul does not exist ab initio, as orthodox Christianity teaches. It has to be brought into existence by a process of guided self-observation. However, this is rarely achieved, owing to man's unique ability to be distracted from spiritual matters by everyday trivia.

works ok in FF3 though it's disconcerting that the index page has only 'MAIN TEXT HERE' and when I click "more info" it adds the product to the cart rather than displaying the product info

Shouldn't be like that. But it seems to only be doing it for the Vimeo product. EDITED

I was a little premature on that theory. Heh. Just remembered that I have a contribution that would take the user viewing any products with attributes to the info page when they click "Buy Now" so attributes can be set. I figured this would work good for me as all my products will have attributes for a download.

I like the site so far, its definatly a bit too dark for a store IMO, subconsciously black on black inst that great of a color scheme for a store. And I would obviously change the oscommerce pic at the bottom to a simple text link

I like the site so far, its definatly a bit too dark for a store IMO, subconsciously black on black inst that great of a color scheme for a store. And I would obviously change the oscommerce pic at the bottom to a simple text link

Going with that theme has proven to be effective in my niche and demographics. I have been running my other shop (selling tangible items) with a similar color theme and my customers raved about it when I switched from a traditional theme to a dark one about four years ago.

I find it helps me target the CTAs.

As for the OSC image link/banner, it will be removed. I have it there at the moment while I am designing the site.

Archived