• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New Handgun Website

slbotos

Hello to All,

I don't know where to start. This project has been going on since March, and the website has just gone live in the last week. I'm on my second website designer and the best he can do is make oscommerce an online catalog. Its disappointing. I've decided to give it a try myself, heck, I can't do any worse then these guys have done. Please look at my sight, www.pistolsandparts.com , and kindly give me any feedback you think necessary.

Every time I ask a question, I'm told the software can't do that. I don't think I'm asking too much (maybe I am) for the software to do the following:

Have a simple way to update inventory.

Ship different products to different addresses on the same order.

Have a simple method of adding shipping charges when a customer adds a zip code.

Right now, customers have to call me to place an order as these functions are turned off. Hence, its a catalog only at this point.

HELP

Thanks in Advance

Steve

Hello to All,

I don't know where to start. This project has been going on since March, and the website has just gone live in the last week. I'm on my second website designer and the best he can do is make oscommerce an online catalog. Its disappointing. I've decided to give it a try myself, heck, I can't do any worse then these guys have done. Please look at my sight, www.pistolsandparts.com , and kindly give me any feedback you think necessary.

Every time I ask a question, I'm told the software can't do that. I don't think I'm asking too much (maybe I am) for the software to do the following:

Have a simple way to update inventory.

Ship different products to different addresses on the same order.

Have a simple method of adding shipping charges when a customer adds a zip code.

Right now, customers have to call me to place an order as these functions are turned off. Hence, its a catalog only at this point.

HELP

Thanks in Advance

Steve

Those are built in functions of osCommerce although all products on a single order are shipped to a single address. You can specify different addresses than the billing address and even store multiple addresses in your profile but you can only ship to one per order. I've never seen a site that allows you to specify shipping on a per-item basis. There is a comment area though so people could specify details there.

Those are built in functions of osCommerce although all products on a single order are shipped to a single address. You can specify different addresses than the billing address and even store multiple addresses in your profile but you can only ship to one per order. I've never seen a site that allows you to specify shipping on a per-item basis. There is a comment area though so people could specify details there.

Hello,

To clarify, when a customer on my sight purchases a handgun and also purchases a cleaning kit for example, the cleaning kit drop ships to the customer from my distributors warehouse, but the handgun MUST come to me first to be reshipped to an FFL of their choosing in their state. As I see it, the only way around this then would be to ship the whole order to me at which point I would reship everything to the customers FFL (Federal Firearms License) dealer, or make the customer do two separate transactions.

no way.. I have a store with multiple distributors. I have some ship from ohio, some from California and some Connecticut.. its not a bad thing and not impossible to deal with. You just set a flat rate, sometimes people will get a deal on shipping, and sometimes they will pay a little too much.. Sometimes they will live REALLY CLOSE to that distributor and sometimes really far away.. It does end up evening out if you ship on a flat rate or table rate based on weight.

Just deal with the +1 -1 that happens with everyone who ships from dropshippers.

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!