• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Each Product Needs Its Own Handling Fee

spencerb

Here's the deal. I made up an order total contribution that lets me set the shipping insurance fee for each product and it's added in the order total (see my contribution). Some of my products are rather expensive, and the customer gets a surprise fee at the end of checkout.

I do rentals, so no insurance contribution that calculates based off the product's price will work, since the rental fee is nowhere near the value. That's why I set the insurance for each product.

What I would like to do is to set the insurance fee per product and add it to the actual shipping charge (I use USPS Methods). That way the customer sees the shipping fee and it includes insurance. I don't want insurance to be visible as a separate line item in the total. It could be added as a handling fee per item.

Anyone know how to accomplish this? I searched and couldn't find a solution.

I thought about just adding the fee into the rental price, but that would make my prices appear noncompetitive (even though in the end it's all the same). My competitors add insurance into the shipping fee. Some of them have flat-rate shipping. Others add it in somehow, either as per-product or they just levelize it. Some of my products have very low insurance costs, and some are rather high.