• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Bad Robot Blocker Support Thread

This is the official support thread for Bad Robot Blocker.

Description:

The Bad Robot Blocker is a simple PHP script designed to trap bad robots and spiders from accessing your website. Bad robots and spiders will ignore anything in your robots.txt file and will attempt to access the directories/files listed in this file. All you need to do is add an entry to your robots.txt file pointing to the directory where the script file is, and once they attempt to access this directory, a message telling them they are banned in displayed in the form of a HTML page.

What also happens is that the script will add an entry to your .htaccess file in the root directory of your website to deny access from their IP address, and also full details of the robot/spider are logged in a tab delimited file called botfile.txt which you can download via FTP and open in either a text editor or import into your favourite spreadsheet application.

This script is very quick and easy to install, you only need to modify and upload two files.

Contribution URL:

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6303

Edited by Sam G

My bad, I had put the wrong index.php in the ZIP file. I have put the correct one in the ZIP file and uploaded the correct one now, sorry about that folks... It's been a long day...

• 1 month later...

It works 100% under Linux, and it works on Apache in Windows as this is what I use to test stuff locally on my MS Vista machine, but it's not been tested with IIS, I assume this is what your server uses?

• 1 month later...

I am getting these errors please help

Warning: fopen(/home/gogo/public_html/password_list/botfile.txt) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/gogo/public_html/password_list/index.php on line 37

Warning: fopen(/home/gogo/public_html/.htaccess) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/gogo/public_html/password_list/index.php on line 40

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/gogo/public_html/password_list/index.php on line 48

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/gogo/public_html/password_list/index.php on line 49

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/gogo/public_html/password_list/index.php on line 53

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/gogo/public_html/password_list/index.php on line 54

You have just been banned from this website.

any ideas please

I am getting these errors please help

Warning: fopen(/home/gogo/public_html/password_list/botfile.txt) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/gogo/public_html/password_list/index.php on line 37

Warning: fopen(/home/gogo/public_html/.htaccess) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/gogo/public_html/password_list/index.php on line 40

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/gogo/public_html/password_list/index.php on line 48

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/gogo/public_html/password_list/index.php on line 49

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/gogo/public_html/password_list/index.php on line 53

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/gogo/public_html/password_list/index.php on line 54

You have just been banned from this website.

am using PHP Version 5.2.6

any ideas please

• 1 month later...

I love the contrib.. I'm not much of a coder so I couldn't fix this issue by changing the index.php but I fixed the issue by adding manually a deny from 123.123.123.123 after the

#

#Bad Robot Blocker 1.0.1

#List of banned IP addresses

#

what was happening when i was testing this contrib my IP or just the first ip to get banned gets placed in the same line at the last # in the .htaccess so it looks like this

#

#Bad Robot Blocker 1.0.1

#List of banned IP addresses

#deny from 123.123.123.123

therefore the first IP would not get baned.

I'm sure its just a minor fix in the code and again great contrib :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for people's feedback.

I am working on a new revision to this script which will provide support for cURL (a lot of hosts will enable cURL but disable fopen), and make it easier to set up. I'll post the new version up when it's ready.

• 2 months later...

Hi!!!

Sam... Thanks for your contribution.

There is something I don't understand. You contribution tries to write directly .htaccess file. If file permissions are set to 655, I obtain this error:

Warning: fopen(/home/XXXXXX/domains/XXXX/public_html/XXXXXX/.htaccess) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/XXXXX/domains/XXXXXX/public_html/XXXXXX/password_list/index.php on line 40

java script:bbc_pop()

Evidently it is a security issue setting .htaccess permissions to 777, as it seems the contribution needs...

How could I solve this????

Thank you very much.

Ana

Edited by ajuaristi

• 10 months later...