• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Been working hard... need a little feedback

marketedsites

Thanks to this site I'm finally at the point where I could use a little constructive criticism on the look, feel and functionality of my store. I got a bunch of mods thanks to the wonderful contributors here! Don't forget to click to enlarge the pics in product info!

Anyways, here it is:

http://www.CorvetteFasteners.com

VERY NICE!!

I like the hover effect on the text.

The categories box is very very nice

One thing i might do, is when you click on a category, and it has sub categories, they kind of blend with the featured products for that main category.. I almost didnt notice that there were subcategories. maybe instead of using actual images for the categories, make a nice category and subcategor graphic to differentiate

Ok.. wait.. I take it back.. i just went bacl to the site, and the box that says CATEGORIES actually brings you do a product.. So its not really a categoy.. so i would GET RID of the feature products on that page and only offerthe prdocust that are in that category.. and take the box header that says CATEGORIES away..

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Ok.. wait.. I take it back.. i just went bacl to the site, and the box that says CATEGORIES actually brings you do a product.. So its not really a categoy.. so i would GET RID of the feature products on that page and only offerthe prdocust that are in that category.. and take the box header that says CATEGORIES away..

Thanks for the response! I'm not quite sure what you mean about GET RID of the feature products and only offer the producst that are in that category. If you could elaborate I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Joe

if you click on a categpry, you see two boxes.. one on top of the other.. the top box has the products for that category, then there is abox below that which contains some other products.. they just make it confusing.

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

use teh CSS flyout.. its really fast, awesome for SEO and looks nice..

use this one - super easy to install.. just use version .03 not the ones after it.. i never use versions uploaded by people other than the original coder OR someone i know can write good code.. some people submit fixes that arent really fixes..

use this one - super easy to install.. just use version .03 not the ones after it.. i never use versions uploaded by people other than the original coder OR someone i know can write good code.. some people submit fixes that arent really fixes..

Thanks, you are the man... I mean WO-MAN!!!! :blush: I'm heading over to that link now and hopefully have it up soon.

Thanks, you are the man... I mean WO-MAN!!!! :blush: I'm heading over to that link now and hopefully have it up soon.

On the mouseover effect for the images at the top, you might want to rethink the color yellow to maybe black? Also you should use css instead of javascript for the mouseover effect as it is much faster and more bot & browser friendly ;) .

On the mouseover effect for the images at the top, you might want to rethink the color yellow to maybe black? Also you should use css instead of javascript for the mouseover effect as it is much faster and more bot & browser friendly ;) .

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm not sure how to do it with CSS, but I will definitely look into it.

I installed the CSS flyout and it works great..... BUT because my categories run so deep the subcategories run off the bottom of the page and you can't scroll down to see the rest. If you look at the category 'UNDERHOOD' you'll see. Any ideas?

why dont you break out the under the hood into a few more categories.. You can combuine and move things around..

OR

you can install the extra category box contribution that will create a second category box right under the one you have now, which can have all of the under the hood subcategories as main categories.. that would DEFINITELY be an idea if you dont want to move things

why dont you break out the under the hood into a few more categories.. You can combuine and move things around..

OR

you can install the extra category box contribution that will create a second category box right under the one you have now, which can have all of the under the hood subcategories as main categories.. that would DEFINITELY be an idea if you dont want to move things

I tried to see if I could break up the Underhood, but was only able to rid of like 5 subcategories which didn't help anything. The second box idea would work but I gotta keep the categories together. Upon realizing that the CSS that I love wont work I changed back all my files and the CSS menus is still on?????????????

I guess it's in my server cache. I called GoDaddy and they can't clear it. They said 'maybe' when there system does it's daily maintenace thing it 'MIGHT' clear the cache. I'll wait and see.

The extra categories box wont really "break them up" it will just re-organize them so you can see more categories in a nice, clean way..

I think you should try it, and THEN add the css to BOTH boxes..

so you would have your mainbox where it is, and a duplicate box underneath with all the "under thehood" parts.. This also helps with impulse buy people.. They see under the hood, they dont think "I might need that!"

they see A/C unit on the main page, they think "Hmm i can use that!"

Obviously i'm making up parts and stuff, you get the the gist.. the more ACTUAL categories you have on the main page, the more they are inclined to click to it and buy..

its all marketing though//

glad to hear it.. I did do a lot of research on marketing and such.. And impulse buys are usually done because that particular item or category is staring them in the face.. and with a new category box, they will ALWAYS be staring them in the face because those boxes are on every page!

heres the link

More Category Boxes

well, i dont know.. it might have looked excessive, but it looks worse wheny ou click on under the hood and it expands.. What about creating the second category box but adding back in the right column.. then they are side by side, and it wont be SOO long that it goes way under the page..

again, just a thought.. and am thinkiing out loud.. I also just saw that you have Under the Hood, Body/Exterior, and then Doors (that could be body/exterior), Same with hub caps, lights, rear window, ect.. Then you have INTERIOR which seems fine.. So if you have one box for INTERIOR and under that have a box for EXTERIOR (with ALL exterior parts including windows and such) and then put in the right column the UNDER THE HOOD box, and EXTRAS (or accessories or something) and have keys and vintage, ect.

I have seen LOTS of car parts companies come through here, and they ALL have the multiple boxes because it organizes it better..

Alright, alright!!!!!!

I'm back at it with the separate boxes. I installed the very first contrib by the original creator. 2 problems, the second box is there, but it also still shows up in the first box. Secondly, the second box is closed by default. Any ideas, I'm going through the contrib thread now at:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=158814

Archived