• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Feedback on my store would be very much appreciated

jamesallwood

Hi everyone. Thanks for having a look at my store for me, and thanks also to those of you who have been kind enough to help me out with some issues on the way.

I think I've got everything sewn up now, but if you clever people can see something not quite right or not very customer friendly, I'd like to get it nipped in the bud soon.

Thanks again.

Visit My Website - petshomestore.co.uk

The website is way to wide. I had to scroll from one side to another. I like the look on quick inspection.....I am on my first cuppa coffee though :D

Your "Add this widget" thingy (sorry to be so "technical") in the right column is causing the infamous "non-secure items" popup in IE on your SSL pages because it's from an HTTP source...

:blush:

I can show you how to get PHP to "skip it" if you want.

:unsure:

I am on my first cuppa coffee though

There she goes....

Drinking and posting... AGAIN!!!

;)

:lol:

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

The website is way to wide. I had to scroll from one side to another. I like the look on quick inspection.....I am on my first cuppa coffee though :D

Thanks for that. Do you think I should set it to 800px? I know what you mean, on my new widescreen laptop it looks great, but on my older square screened one it's a little annoying.

Your "Add this widget" thingy (sorry to be so "technical") in the right column is causing the infamous "non-secure items" popup in IE on your SSL pages because it's from an HTTP source...

:blush:

I can show you how to get PHP to "skip it" if you want.

:unsure:

Great, thanks for helping me with that one, actually I was thinking of removing it and replacing with a crontrib I've seen for social bookmarking, so I'll head in that direction.

thats a template from template monster (i think) but either way it is DEFINITELY a template. So what are you asking for as far as feedback goes? The design isnt yours.

It a beautiful template, i even considered buying it for my store, but then decided it was still a template andnot a good idea..

your last box on the left column is not the same size as the others./

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

thats a template from template monster (i think) but either way it is DEFINITELY a template. So what are you asking for as far as feedback goes? The design isnt yours.

It a beautiful template, i even considered buying it for my store, but then decided it was still a template andnot a good idea..

your last box on the left column is not the same size as the others./

You're part right. The header is from a template, but that's it, nothing else.

I'm asking to see if anyone can see anything that isn't user friendly.

I'm certainly not looking for praise for something that I have no right to ask for.

No its not. Your box headers are, the buttons are, the entire layout is from the template. The only thing that is yours is your product descriptions, categories, and maybe SOME advertisement images on there..

I dont mean to sound rude, but i probably do. But dont say that all you did was purchase a template for the banner..

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

No its not. Your box headers are, the buttons are, the entire layout is from the template. The only thing that is yours is your product descriptions, categories, and maybe SOME advertisement images on there..

I dont mean to sound rude, but i probably do. But dont say that all you did was purchase a template for the banner..

Thanks again for the input, but I think you must be looking at a different template than the one I bought. The box headings are in no way similar, layout is different, buttons aren't even remotely similar and the template that you're refering to is a creloaded template whereas I've built my store from the ground up from oscommerce.

I would have not bothered replying, but I don't want to look stupid by other passing readers.

Ok.. maybe it is my mistake. i couldnt find the tempalte again if i tried.. But heres an interesteing though.. if you were going to do all that work, why would you use a banner that was exactly the same as the temlate? WHY would you spend $150 for a template when you are just going to use the header? WHY out of all things, would you use the banner from a template? The one thing that you are definitely supposed to change with templates is the banners to reflect your own personal logo.

Dont you worry that is someone type in online pet store that they might come across a site that looks just like yours with the same "branding" as your but a different Url? or even worse, a site that sells templates with that template..

I wish i could put this into better words, but if you did really only use the banner, then you should rethink your choice because the banner is supposed to be the first impression and logo for your entire store..

I wouldnt want that to be somethng that is STOCK

Thanks again for the input, but I think you must be looking at a different template than the one I bought. The box headings are in no way similar, layout is different, buttons aren't even remotely similar and the template that you're refering to is a creloaded template whereas I've built my store from the ground up from oscommerce.

I would have not bothered replying, but I don't want to look stupid by other passing readers.

You don't look stupid at all. Your site looks excellent, and if you want to use a template what is the big deal? Not that you used one, but if you wanted to, I don't see how that should stop you from getting feedback on the rest of your site.

There is feedback offered on technical aspects as well as design, and lots of times people can suggest add-ons to make the site operate better or be found more easily in search engines, etc. But why is it such a crime to use a template? I didn't use one, but there seems to be almost a hostility towards anyone that does. I'm sure I'm offending everyone, and I don't mean to, but I see the way people get pounced on by some regulars on here and make to feel like idiots for not being finished when they ask for feedback, if their site still looks stock, or like they're trying to get credit for a template design. Maybe they just want the techie guys to go through and suggest some stuff they never thought of? Maybe the FIRST person to answer EVERY single feedback request shouldn't be one who is going to ABUSE people if the site doesn't match THEIR ideas of what it should look like.

I do appreciate the help I got, and my feedback was mostly positive, but if you don't want to do what someone "suggests" you shouldn't have to. And some people are being downright mean on here. This can be hard, daunting, and confusing. I think the last thing a new person needs is to get yelled at for asking for feedback when YOU don't think they're ready. And I don't mean just this thread... I just don't get it. It's like some people take it personally. It's a forum for websites. If you don't want to respond, don't. But why be mean?

Ok.. maybe it is my mistake. i couldnt find the tempalte again if i tried.. But heres an interesteing though.. if you were going to do all that work, why would you use a banner that was exactly the same as the temlate? WHY would you spend $150 for a template when you are just going to use the header? WHY out of all things, would you use the banner from a template? The one thing that you are definitely supposed to change with templates is the banners to reflect your own personal logo.

Dont you worry that is someone type in online pet store that they might come across a site that looks just like yours with the same "branding" as your but a different Url? or even worse, a site that sells templates with that template..

I wish i could put this into better words, but if you did really only use the banner, then you should rethink your choice because the banner is supposed to be the first impression and logo for your entire store..

I wouldnt want that to be somethng that is STOCK

Yeah, you're right. I bought the template initially when I thought it was a good idea, but I found it easier to restart from scratch. I made the decision to keep the header and just put my logo in it (the logo is unique to me by the way). I've been thinking to change the header for just the reason that you've given, and perhaps now I'll crack on with it.

Thanks for your input Lindsay, you've given me the impulse to get that bit changed now. Hope your site is working well for you over the pond, the market you have is massive so you should have a good future set up there.

Well, i can easily explain the frustration that comes from people who use templates in a few words.

People sell templates and make money (off of FREE software) - which is fine. The person who makes the money though, then will not support their templates and send peopel here toget help and expect US to offer THEIR support.

Also, people come on here with templates and ask for feedback on look and feel. If someone can straight out and said, this is a template, and i wold like you all to comment on the layout so i can adjust it to work better.. but that NEVER happens. No one every says its a template, and lots of people want someone to see it and "WOW GREAT YOU DID THAT ALL ON YOUR OWN!"

The other reason people do not offer a lot of help on templates is because we CANT. Template providers use old code and they hack it so much that we would have no idea what the file structure is like.

On another note.. i found the template in questions, and i agree.. You did not use a template, and used the banner and the template as a jumping off point.. which is FINE.. but I cant stress enough.. YOU NEED YOUR OWN BANNER!! You can make something similar, but dont use that one anymore.

My site actually got put on the backburner. I am not working on my husband's photography site. He was our main source of income and switched from truck driving to photographer.. that means we NEED a good site to sell prints otherwie i am the main bread winner, and thats scarey..

I suggest you read this thread about templates and why people hate them

Why is using templates a NO NO

You don't look stupid at all. Your site looks excellent, and if you want to use a template what is the big deal? Not that you used one, but if you wanted to, I don't see how that should stop you from getting feedback on the rest of your site.

There is feedback offered on technical aspects as well as design, and lots of times people can suggest add-ons to make the site operate better or be found more easily in search engines, etc. But why is it such a crime to use a template? I didn't use one, but there seems to be almost a hostility towards anyone that does. I'm sure I'm offending everyone, and I don't mean to, but I see the way people get pounced on by some regulars on here and make to feel like idiots for not being finished when they ask for feedback, if their site still looks stock, or like they're trying to get credit for a template design. Maybe they just want the techie guys to go through and suggest some stuff they never thought of? Maybe the FIRST person to answer EVERY single feedback request shouldn't be one who is going to ABUSE people if the site doesn't match THEIR ideas of what it should look like.

I do appreciate the help I got, and my feedback was mostly positive, but if you don't want to do what someone "suggests" you shouldn't have to. And some people are being downright mean on here. This can be hard, daunting, and confusing. I think the last thing a new person needs is to get yelled at for asking for feedback when YOU don't think they're ready. And I don't mean just this thread... I just don't get it. It's like some people take it personally. It's a forum for websites. If you don't want to respond, don't. But why be mean?

Hi Nicole. Thanks for your support on this issue. I think your site looks great also.

I think that if other people are reading this and happen to be reviewing a site for someone in future, and they happen to believe they've used a template, then the sensible thing to do would be to simply say what they thought of the site, and then suggest that if they've used a template they should be a aware that it's very easy for someone else to make their site look just the same. This is, I think, the only drawback to using templates.

This is something that I've thought all along, and I'm now redesigning my header to make it more unique.

I also agree with you, that there's no need being mean; I think 'Constructive Criticism' would be a much better route to take. It’s like water off a ducks back to me, but if someone who has little experience who’s put a lot of time and effort to getting their site how they want got replies similar to this, it might well put them off ever asking for help again.

Thanks again for your support.

Hi Nicole. Thanks for your support on this issue. I think your site looks great also.

I think that if other people are reading this and happen to be reviewing a site for someone in future, and they happen to believe they've used a template, then the sensible thing to do would be to simply say what they thought of the site, and then suggest that if they've used a template they should be a aware that it's very easy for someone else to make their site look just the same. This is, I think, the only drawback to using templates.

This is something that I've thought all along, and I'm now redesigning my header to make it more unique.

I also agree with you, that there's no need being mean; I think 'Constructive Criticism' would be a much better route to take. It’s like water off a ducks back to me, but if someone who has little experience who’s put a lot of time and effort to getting their site how they want got replies similar to this, it might well put them off ever asking for help again.

Thanks again for your support.

Hi James, thanks. I was terrified to ask for feedback, because I had been reading the forums and everyone seems to know a ton that I don't. Sometimes you don't know what you're getting into and by the time you realize you have to code half of it yourself, it's too late.

When I opened my account on August 4 of this year, my host's page said you can build your site in minutes, etc. so I called to ask how to change the colors or whatever, and she said I had to know php. I didn't even know what php was. So she said I'd have to pay someone to do it. After their front page says "Design a website in minutes..." so maybe people just think it will be a lot easier than it is. I had a site on another provider and their software was more like FrontPage or something, where you didn't have to code, so that's what I was expecting here. I just thought I'd explain why it seems some people stumble on here knowing nothing... Because that's exactly what I did, but it's not because I thought it would be easy to code an ecommerce website in php!

Good luck with your header, have fun with it! I change mine about once a week... ;) I was going to post a picture of my puppy with a beer bottle that's bigger than him, but I don't know how. haha

Hi James, thanks. I was terrified to ask for feedback, because I had been reading the forums and everyone seems to know a ton that I don't. Sometimes you don't know what you're getting into and by the time you realize you have to code half of it yourself, it's too late.

When I opened my account on August 4 of this year, my host's page said you can build your site in minutes, etc. so I called to ask how to change the colors or whatever, and she said I had to know php. I didn't even know what php was. So she said I'd have to pay someone to do it. After their front page says "Design a website in minutes..." so maybe people just think it will be a lot easier than it is. I had a site on another provider and their software was more like FrontPage or something, where you didn't have to code, so that's what I was expecting here. I just thought I'd explain why it seems some people stumble on here knowing nothing... Because that's exactly what I did, but it's not because I thought it would be easy to code an ecommerce website in php!

Good luck with your header, have fun with it! I change mine about once a week... ;) I was going to post a picture of my puppy with a beer bottle that's bigger than him, but I don't know how. haha

To post an image you must host the image on the web (flickr, photobucket, etc.) and then link to it.

To post an image you must host the image on the web (flickr, photobucket, etc.) and then link to it.

Oh, thanks! But I doubt if anyone wants to see my puppy that badly. :P Or dooooo you?

Archived