• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Which UPS shipping module should I use?

johnwvg

Now I know this is a real newbie question but I recently had to do a fresh install of OsCommerce and now I have no UPS shipping module like I used to (I seem to recall I had to add it on last time to)

I searched around for the UPS module to add on and I found 3 different ones:

UPS XML Module

UPS Choice

UPS Method

I just want a standard UPS shipping module to calculate quotes to the customers of their different shipping options (ground, next day air etc) and so on. Just a plain old UPS add-on...

So which one should I use... or... what is the differences between them

Someone please help. I just want a generic UPS shipping add-on like I used to have :-(

I recommend the UPS Choice, as you as admin can select the services which you want to offer to your clients and add the extra fee for packaging.

Please read this line: Do you want to find all the answers to your questions? click here. As for contribution database it's located here!

8 people out of 10 don't bother to read installation manuals. I can recommend: if you can't read the installation manual, don't bother to install any contribution yourself.

Before installing contribution or editing/updating/deleting any files, do the full backup, it will save to you & everyone here on the forum time to fix your issues.

Any issues with oscommerce, I am here to help you.

Now I know this is a real newbie question but I recently had to do a fresh install of OsCommerce and now I have no UPS shipping module like I used to (I seem to recall I had to add it on last time to)

I searched around for the UPS module to add on and I found 3 different ones:

UPS XML Module

UPS Choice

UPS Method

I just want a standard UPS shipping module to calculate quotes to the customers of their different shipping options (ground, next day air etc) and so on. Just a plain old UPS add-on...

So which one should I use... or... what is the differences between them

Someone please help. I just want a generic UPS shipping add-on like I used to have :-(

All,

My concern about UPS choice 1.8.3 was this from the "read me" file.

Disclaimer:

This revision is based on ups.php v.1.54, which employs the UPS cgi method that has been

deprecated for over a year and although it appears to remain functional is no longer officially

supported by UPS. The currently supported UPS API requires XML requests through a secure socket

layer, for which there is not yet an osC implementation.

Did not know quite what to make of that, but elected to try UPS xml first.

Cordially,

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded UPSXML_v1_3_5

Step one of the installation instructions is this:

Run the three queries found in (or use the file itself) the included sql file: configuration_shipping.sql to add three configuration keys to the table configuration.

The file "configuration_shipping.sql" says this:

INSERT INTO configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) VALUES ('Dimensions Support', 'SHIPPING_DIMENSIONS_SUPPORT', 'No', 'Do you use the additional dimensions support (read dimensions.txt in the UPSXML package)?', '7', '6', 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'No\', \'Ready-to-ship only\', \'With product dimensions\'), ', now());

INSERT INTO configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) values ('Unit Weight', 'SHIPPING_UNIT_WEIGHT', 'LBS', 'By what unit are your packages weighed?', '7', '7', 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'LBS\', \'KGS\'), ', now());

INSERT INTO configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) values ('Unit Length', 'SHIPPING_UNIT_LENGTH', 'IN', 'By what unit are your packages sized?', '7', '8', 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'IN\', \'CM\'), ', now());

INSERT INTO configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, date_added) VALUES ('Manual Negotiated Rate', 'MODULE_SHIPPING_UPSXML_RATES_MANUAL_NEGOTIATED_RATE', '', 'Enter a negotiated rate manually. <b>Note:</b> If "Negotiated Rates" above is set to "True", This <b>WILL NOT</b> be applied. If using this option, set "Negotiated Rates" to "False". Usage: " 57 " returns 57% of published UPS rate.', '6', '28', now());

There is a file called "configuration.php" in FileManager/admin

I've been tinkering around with it a bit; but, I'm new to web design.

What exactly do I have to do to install this contribution?

I just wanted to upgrade the group on my progress here. I decided to follow the UPS Choice route (http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,528/). I installed the module in about 10 minutes and everything seems to be working perfectly.

Unless, you have some very specific requirements that are outside the scope of this add-on, I'd recommend this path, especially for noobs...

Good luck! :D

I downloaded UPSXML_v1_3_5

Step one of the installation instructions is this:

Run the three queries found in (or use the file itself) the included sql file: configuration_shipping.sql to add three configuration keys to the table configuration.

The file "configuration_shipping.sql" says this:

INSERT INTO configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) VALUES ('Dimensions Support', 'SHIPPING_DIMENSIONS_SUPPORT', 'No', 'Do you use the additional dimensions support (read dimensions.txt in the UPSXML package)?', '7', '6', 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'No\', \'Ready-to-ship only\', \'With product dimensions\'), ', now());

INSERT INTO configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) values ('Unit Weight', 'SHIPPING_UNIT_WEIGHT', 'LBS', 'By what unit are your packages weighed?', '7', '7', 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'LBS\', \'KGS\'), ', now());

INSERT INTO configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) values ('Unit Length', 'SHIPPING_UNIT_LENGTH', 'IN', 'By what unit are your packages sized?', '7', '8', 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'IN\', \'CM\'), ', now());

INSERT INTO configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, date_added) VALUES ('Manual Negotiated Rate', 'MODULE_SHIPPING_UPSXML_RATES_MANUAL_NEGOTIATED_RATE', '', 'Enter a negotiated rate manually. <b>Note:</b> If "Negotiated Rates" above is set to "True", This <b>WILL NOT</b> be applied. If using this option, set "Negotiated Rates" to "False". Usage: " 57 " returns 57% of published UPS rate.', '6', '28', now());

There is a file called "configuration.php" in FileManager/admin

I've been tinkering around with it a bit; but, I'm new to web design.

What exactly do I have to do to install this contribution?

These queries are SQL. You run them on your database. You can most likely do this from the control panel with your hosting provider. Somewhere you can access (most likely) php admin and run the SQL queries.

You will want to backup your database (though the changes are pretty straight forward) if you do not know how to undo them.

You may also want to consider UPS Choice instead of UPS XML, though UPS XML is pretty straightforward with a few clarifications.

Does anybody have any solutions for a UPS module that ships based on order weight? ie... adds up the total weight of selected products and then checks cost based on your UPS shipping terms? We have an account so we will recieve better rates than any random person wishing to ship through UPS. So I would like for the cost of shipping to go off my UPS rates not just the ones provided on the UPS site.

Thanks

Cameront21

Does anybody have any solutions for a UPS module that ships based on order weight? ie... adds up the total weight of selected products and then checks cost based on your UPS shipping terms? We have an account so we will recieve better rates than any random person wishing to ship through UPS. So I would like for the cost of shipping to go off my UPS rates not just the ones provided on the UPS site.

Thanks

Cameront21

Cameron, I believe that UPS Choice (http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,528/) does account for weight. I just tested it on my site and the shipping rates increased as I added product weight to the order.

I guess I'll skip the SQL and use UPS Choice.

I modified general.php and added ups.php (didn't have to delete another one because there wasn't one there).

I couldn't update modules.php because mine is different than the one in the contribution.

Mine goes like this:

<?php

/*

$Id: modules.php 1802 2008-01-11 16:59:17Z hpdl $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2008 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

require('includes/application_top.php');

$set = (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['set']) ? $HTTP_GET_VARS['set'] : '');

if (tep_not_null($set)) {

switch ($set) {

case 'shipping':

$module_type = 'shipping';

$module_directory = DIR_FS_CATALOG_MODULES . 'shipping/';

$module_key = 'MODULE_SHIPPING_INSTALLED';

define('HEADING_TITLE', HEADING_TITLE_MODULES_SHIPPING);

break;

case 'ordertotal':

$module_type = 'order_total';

$module_directory = DIR_FS_CATALOG_MODULES . 'order_total/';

$module_key = 'MODULE_ORDER_TOTAL_INSTALLED';

define('HEADING_TITLE', HEADING_TITLE_MODULES_ORDER_TOTAL);

break;

// {{ buySAFE Module

case 'buySAFE':

$module_type = 'buySAFE';

$module_directory = DIR_FS_CATALOG_MODULES . 'buySAFE/';

$module_key = 'MODULE_BUYSAFE_INSTALLED';

define('HEADING_TITLE', HEADING_TITLE_MODULES_BUYSAFE);

break;

// }}

case 'payment':

default:

$module_type = 'payment';

$module_directory = DIR_FS_CATALOG_MODULES . 'payment/';

$module_key = 'MODULE_PAYMENT_INSTALLED';

define('HEADING_TITLE', HEADING_TITLE_MODULES_PAYMENT);

break;

}

}

$action = (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['action']) ? $HTTP_GET_VARS['action'] : '');

if (tep_not_null($action)) {

switch ($action) {

// {{ buySAFE Module

case 'buysafe_save':

if ( ( $HTTP_POST_VARS['configuration']['MODULE_BUYSAFE_BUYSAFE_SEAL_AUTHENTICATION_DATA'] == '' ||

$HTTP_POST_VARS['configuration']['MODULE_BUYSAFE_BUYSAFE_SEAL_AUTHENTICATION_DATA'] == '-- none --' )

&&

( $HTTP_POST_VARS['configuration']['MODULE_BUYSAFE_BUYSAFE_STORE_AUTHENTICATION_DATA'] == '' ||

$HTTP_POST_VARS['configuration']['MODULE_BUYSAFE_BUYSAFE_STORE_AUTHENTICATION_DATA'] == '-- none --' ) )

{

$seal_data = tep_db_fetch_array(tep_db_query("select configuration_value from " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " where configuration_key = 'MODULE_BUYSAFE_BUYSAFE_SEAL_AUTHENTICATION_DATA'"));

$store_data = tep_db_fetch_array(tep_db_query("select configuration_value from " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " where configuration_key = 'MODULE_BUYSAFE_BUYSAFE_STORE_AUTHENTICATION_DATA'"));

$HTTP_POST_VARS['configuration']['MODULE_BUYSAFE_BUYSAFE_SEAL_AUTHENTICATION_DATA'] = $seal_data['configuration_value'];

$HTTP_POST_VARS['configuration']['MODULE_BUYSAFE_BUYSAFE_STORE_AUTHENTICATION_DATA'] = $store_data['configuration_value'];

}

if (strlen($HTTP_POST_VARS['configuration']['MODULE_BUYSAFE_BUYSAFE_SEAL_AUTHENTICATION_DATA']) != 88)

{

$messageStack->add('Data entry error: Invalid seal authentication data. Please fix the input data and try again.', 'error');

$action = 'buysafe_edit';

}

if (strlen($HTTP_POST_VARS['configuration']['MODULE_BUYSAFE_BUYSAFE_STORE_AUTHENTICATION_DATA']) != 36)

{

$messageStack->add('Data entry error: Invalid store authentication data. Please fix the input data and try again.', 'error');

}

if ($HTTP_POST_VARS['test_authentication'] == '1')

{

}

if ($action == 'buysafe_edit') break;

// }}

case 'save':

while (list($key, $value) = each($HTTP_POST_VARS['configuration'])) {

// ups choice add on

// if( is_array( $value ) ) $value = implode( ", ", $value);

// ups choice end

tep_db_query("update " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " set configuration_value = '" . $value . "' where configuration_key = '" . $key . "'");

}

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_MODULES, 'set=' . $set . '&module=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['module']));

break;

case 'install':

case 'remove':

$file_extension = substr($PHP_SELF, strrpos($PHP_SELF, '.'));

$class = basename($HTTP_GET_VARS['module']);

if (file_exists($module_directory . $class . $file_extension)) {

include($module_directory . $class . $file_extension);

$module = new $class;

if ($action == 'install') {

$module->install();

} elseif ($action == 'remove') {

$module->remove();

}

}

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_MODULES, 'set=' . $set . '&module=' . $class));

break;

}

}

?>

I'll assume that I'm running a different version of osCommerce than the UPS Choice contribution was written for. How do I modify my modules.php file to get this contribution to run?

Thanks for your help!

I just installed version1.8.2 of UPS Choice. There is an ommission in the installation instructions. It does not tell you to upload the ups.php in the catalog/includes/languages/english/modules folder.

I have not tested it yet but at least I got rid of the list of errors it threw without this file.

Working great, Thanks to all that have worked on this contrib.

Edited by rsh9

• 2 weeks later...

I AM TRYING TO ADD UPS SHIPPING TO MY STORE AND CANNOT SEEM TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO THIS. I KNOW I HAVE GO INTO CONTRIBUTIONS, BUT APPARENTLY I'M NOT UNDERSTANDING WHAT TO DO. IF SOMEONE CAN HELP WALK ME THROUGH THIS, IT WOULD BE GREAT.