• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Please take a look again

grandmasterjack

Putting my neck on the block again. I've made some changes to my shop but I have tried to keep it simple. I've changed incons and gifs so see what you think. If you want to look further you can use these login details, I'll remove anything that goes into an order

username; [email protected]

Password; 123456

Babies and Ladies

Remember I want it simple so it's not flash.

Jack

If at first you don't succeed.............................Cheat!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you should get a Favicon!!! i have a bunch of tabs opened on my browser and they all have cute little favicons and you just have a blank page.. Maybe a little BL or B&L something cutesy..

As for your look, you still have that home made tripod.com freebie website look, and its because you have a background through out.. if you like that background just make it the outter background and make the centered content white. I think that will make your site jump up atleast a notch in looks

I personally think you NEED to separate your categories.. One category box for Babies and one for Ladies. I say this because right now, i cant just look at your site and find what i need. I have to read all of the links to find what i want.. if you had one box with a header of LADIES and one with a header for BABIES, it would organize it better.. OR you can make a parent category, but thats not REALLY needed..

You should put a border around your left and right column boxes. They blend in too much and it gets visually confusing.

Those blue arrows in the info boxes should be changed.. the color doesnt match your site and they look like clipart..

Maybe you can look into splitting the "lastest products for September" into two sections.. Latest Ladies and Latest Babies.. I'm sure you can find someone to help you with coding.. OR you can stead some code from inside oscommerce

i like your newer header, it doesnt seem DONE, but its definitely a step in the right direction.. There is always room for improvement.. With that being said, you should stick with pink and yellow throughout your site.

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

i agree too.. and i think you can make a WORLD of difference if you make the inside part of the store white and just have the colorful background on the outside background.. it will make a HUGE HUGE DIFFERNCE.. i promise

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Store's looking much better Jack! I really like the separated categories and colors are much better.

Thanks, did you notice the lingerie has gone? I agree it doesn't go with this type of shop. I'll put it on the other shop when I get that one sorted.

i agree too.. and i think you can make a WORLD of difference if you make the inside part of the store white and just have the colorful background on the outside background.. it will make a HUGE HUGE DIFFERNCE.. i promise

Lindsay I don't mind trying that but I don't have a clue how to. What do I do to do this?

Thanks

How about spelling? I noticed a couple spelling errors on your "Shipping & Returns" page, (and on lots of other sites too) but no one ever comments on stuff like that so maybe this isn't the place. Not that I never make a typo, but if I have any on my website I'd like to hear about it... But I don't want to get in trouble for using a technical feedback area for spelling...

So do people care about their spelling and punctuation and stuff? I'm allergic to contributions so I won't be givng any advice on those, and I don't want to irritate people! :P

well, you centered your site, so you find the place where you centered the site (probably in the header.php page) then you call a style from the style sheet.. theny ou can create a stye in the sheet to show a white background..

read through this:

basic design pack

How about spelling? I noticed a couple spelling errors on your "Shipping & Returns" page, (and on lots of other sites too) but no one ever comments on stuff like that so maybe this isn't the place. Not that I never make a typo, but if I have any on my website I'd like to hear about it... But I don't want to get in trouble for using a technical feedback area for spelling...

So do people care about their spelling and punctuation and stuff? I'm allergic to contributions so I won't be givng any advice on those, and I don't want to irritate people! :P

Nicole I'll take a look and sort it I don't like spelling mistakes either. Thanks.

then you call a style from the style sheet.. theny ou can create a stye in the sheet to show a white background..

read through this:

basic design pack

then you call a style from the style sheet.. theny ou can create a stye in the sheet to show a white background..

Sorry I don't understand this bit

well, you did center your page.. go back and look at the code for that.. post it here.

well, you did center your page.. go back and look at the code for that.. post it here.

public_html/includes/header.php

<table align="center" border="0" width="770"><tr><td>

<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

Just added first line

Just added first line

Did you add the ending tags in the footer file?

Yes I did, does that make difference?

No, HA!! Well it does, but I shouldn't have asked you that way I suppose. I just wanted to know if you had the same kind of setup as me, but let me check what I have, because I might be able to help with this... without you adding a style. Go look at my site. I have a black background and white in the middle. Is that what you're trying to get, but with the colorful background you have?

My Website

Here is the code, you paste it into the first table file. bgcolor="ffffff"

Just stick it in that table and it should change the middle to white and leave the outside with the background you already picked in your stylesheet... I hope. That's what I did anyway...

I like the background you are using but I would restrict it to the background. Put the content area on a white background and it will be much more readable.

You have only two categories and lots of subcategories. I think it would look better if the category tree was fully expanded all the time. Seeing just two categories looks odd. There should be a contribution out there to do that. Also, I'd get rid of the '->' after the categories. I think it's located in /catalog/includes/boxes/categories.php

Perhaps it's just me but I think animated gifs look very unprofessional. To me it's just as bad as <blink>Annoying text</blink>.

The 'for babies' subcategory pics are all very different and look like they were grabbed from lots of different sources. If they all had a similar look (ie the same style of art) I think it would look better. I realize that unless you are an artist that is easier said than done. But a number of graphics that all follow a theme looks more polished than a bnch of unrelated graphics.

hth

I like the background you are using but I would restrict it to the background. Put the content area on a white background and it will be much more readable.

I want to do this but don't know how to. Can someone give me detailed information please. Nicole I tried you suggestion but it didn't work.

Thanks guys

well, your site is centered.. so you find that code and make the background for the centered table (probably in your header.php file) have a white background..

well, your site is centered.. so you find that code and make the background for the centered table (probably in your header.php file) have a white background..

Yes but where does the code go? I've tried various different ways and nothing happens.

just change this:

To this:

<table border="0" bgcolor=#ffffff width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

That should work..

just change this:

To this:

<table border="0" bgcolor=#ffffff width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

That should work..

Sorry it don't work and I've tried many other combinations

OOPS..

try it with " " around the #FFFFFF and try without # but still with " "

Also, if that doesnt work, try it on the other table tag that you posted..

can you tell i dont ever REALLY know what i'm doing.. i always trial and error it.

Sorry it don't work and I've tried many other combinations

Try using the word white instead of the letter code

I have found sometime that works with the bgcolor code

might try using caps also or this

<table border="0" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

Just a thought

Archived