• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Steel Jewellery Store Feedback?

OMG i forgot to mention something.. THis is a little pet peeve of mine.. Your site doesnt have a Favicon! When i shop, i usually have a bunch of windows open at a time, and i just like to see the favicon there. .that little blank page just doesnt do it for me.. It is REALLY REALLY easy to make one. You just create a 10px x 10px image and call it favicon.ico and then put some code inyour site to call for it and there it is.. Your little steel ball thing would be a perfect favicon.

The Favicon needs to be 16x16 pixels, not 10.

Then put this html code between the <head></head> and modify the url to point to your icon...

<link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="../../favicon.ico">

Carbon

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oops.. Its been a while since i made mine, however i dont thing it matters so long as it isnt too big.. but i guess you want it as big as you can make it.

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Wow, you site loads INSTANTLY on my cpu.. VERY impressive!

One thing that i noticed that you dont have that i think is REQUIRED to add to your store.. There is a contribution that automatically updates the customer's cart when they change a quantity. Stock oscommerce makes you click the UPDATE button after you change a quantity, and lots of people dont do that, they change the quantity and then proceed to checkout.. this results in people not actually ordering what they want.. So this contribution (which was SUPER SUPER SUPER easy to install) automatically updates that cart when someone is changed or removed.

Overall, i think the look of your site is REALLY good. I mean, the look of it is very consistent, you have AWESOME products (i would DEFINITELY buy from you, and WILL buy form you when i have some extra cash)

Also, you might want to add a gift certificate contribution and discount codes for when you do some advertising. (if you didnt already)

Overall, VERY nice.

Thank you! You have a freebie coming, so let me know what you want!

I was thinking about the discount code thing. It usually takes me a couple days to get over the trauma of one contib before I can tackle another one... :blink:

Now.... I'm not going to ask you what a favicon is, because I should know that already. I'm going to Google it and find out what it is and then make one... You usually end up being right, so I'm just gonna go do it. at 16 x 16 px! :lol:

I totally know how you feel.. I do the same when i install contributions. I dont know if you do this, but i always print out the instructions and check off things as i am doing them. It helps A TON!!!

Just as a note, the CCGV(trad) is the discount code / gift voucher contribution i use. It has a LOT Of neat features.

A favicon is the little icon that shows in the browser url bar, or on a tab.. If you look at the top of your browser while on this forum, you will see a little white square with a green, blue and purple ball.. It is in the tab AND the url bar. If you go to my site, you will see an apperture graphic (my site)

It also shows up when you bookmark the site.

Some sites will tell you that you need a specific program to make a .ico file, but photoshop or illustrator is enough.. You just type it in instead of pulling it from a dropdown bar.

When you go to save as, just type favicon.ico - its that easy!!

then put the code in your header.php file (i think maybe it was index.php - i will have to find that one out) and your done

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Very nice Nicole, a real improvement!

Just a couple of suggestions...

Replace the icon used for My Account, My Cart, Checkout and Contact with individual icons that symbolise the meaning of each link in the heading.

There needs to be a distinction between the returning customer sign in and new customer fields in the checkout process, just a simple border and a bit of vertical separation will do it.

Great job.

Carbon

Thanks Carbon. I appreciate the feedback!

I'll check the stuff you mentioned. I might not change the icon for the buttons at the top, because I'm difficult. :lol: (And kinda lazy right now, and if they can't read they won't get past the checkout process anyway! hehe) Although I respect your opinion and appreciate your help! I will, however, add a border for the checkout process. I haven't seen it lately, so thanks for the heads up.

As for the coding advice, I probably don't know what you mean but I'll go try it! As soon as I Google what the heck a favicon is...

I totally know how you feel.. I do the same when i install contributions. I dont know if you do this, but i always print out the instructions and check off things as i am doing them. It helps A TON!!!

Just as a note, the CCGV(trad) is the discount code / gift voucher contribution i use. It has a LOT Of neat features.

A favicon is the little icon that shows in the browser url bar, or on a tab.. If you look at the top of your browser while on this forum, you will see a little white square with a green, blue and purple ball.. It is in the tab AND the url bar. If you go to my site, you will see an apperture graphic (my site)

It also shows up when you bookmark the site.

Some sites will tell you that you need a specific program to make a .ico file, but photoshop or illustrator is enough.. You just type it in instead of pulling it from a dropdown bar.

When you go to save as, just type favicon.ico - its that easy!!

then put the code in your header.php file (i think maybe it was index.php - i will have to find that one out) and your done

The favicons.. Boooo! I'm on IE and they just go back to the little square with the "e" all the time (yours didn't show up at all) ... Even for bookmarks that had one before, they're all the plain jane one now. I'm not doing it! hehehehehe I'm being a lazy jerk again... But still though... If you want to find my window, you shall find it... Favicon or not.

But no one ever agrees with me (that's OK, I'm used to it ;) Told you I was difficult ) so should I do it??? Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things???

well, its just something thats easy and completes the overall look of your site. I think you should do it.. WHY NOT??

Address and phone number on the contact us page. Thats about it. Good job

Thanks. I knew this would come up. It's just me though, in my house. So none of that is going on there. :o

Could I put something on the contact page about once you log in you can get a phone number or something? I don't really want everyone who stumbles upon my site to have access to my number, but I do realize I have to have a way for people to get a hold me. Not that I want them to, except by email... Who would phone, except perverts or lonley old ladies? haha

it doesnt matter. you NEED to offer an address - and NOT a PO box. They dont know that its your house, but they want to know that there is a physical company. I never buy from companies who dont have FULL contact information. There are just too many scammers out there where their ONLY form of contact is an email, which is easily changed and the store can just disappear.

You should also concider getting an 800 number, or a specific business line at your house. It just helps because you will know when that line rings, to answer it with your company name.

I used Ring Central for an 800 number and it was great. You just set up your 800 number, you can have automated voice mails and when a customer calls, it SOUNDS really professional. You can set it to say anything you want mine was something like

"Thank you for calling MY COMPANY Please listed to teh following choices. For sales, press 1, for website problems press 2, for the owner press 3" They dont know that ALL of those go straight to my cell phone.. HOWEVER, when i get a call on my cell phone from the 800 number, the caller id shows as that number and i know that its a customer calling.

You can also set it to say different things at different times of the day. You can set certain messages for when you are "closed" or for lunch.. ect.

AND all of that was way cheaper than getting a separate phone line.

I'd phone ya!

...oh, wait a minute, I'm a pervert so that doesn't count. lol. ;)

Carbon

:P :P

That is EXACTLY why no phone number! haaaaaa! Any lonely old ladies on here?!

I'd phone ya!

...oh, wait a minute, I'm a pervert so that doesn't count. lol. ;)

Carbon

My phone just rang and wow, I thought "Sh*t! This guy is good!" but it wasn't you. :P

haha.. well, still.. check out the Ring Central.

it doesnt matter. you NEED to offer an address - and NOT a PO box. They dont know that its your house, but they want to know that there is a physical company. I never buy from companies who dont have FULL contact information. There are just too many scammers out there where their ONLY form of contact is an email, which is easily changed and the store can just disappear.

You should also concider getting an 800 number, or a specific business line at your house. It just helps because you will know when that line rings, to answer it with your company name.

I used Ring Central for an 800 number and it was great. You just set up your 800 number, you can have automated voice mails and when a customer calls, it SOUNDS really professional. You can set it to say anything you want mine was something like

"Thank you for calling MY COMPANY Please listed to teh following choices. For sales, press 1, for website problems press 2, for the owner press 3" They dont know that ALL of those go straight to my cell phone.. HOWEVER, when i get a call on my cell phone from the 800 number, the caller id shows as that number and i know that its a customer calling.

You can also set it to say different things at different times of the day. You can set certain messages for when you are "closed" or for lunch.. ect.

AND all of that was way cheaper than getting a separate phone line.

That Ring central thing sounds cool. I'll see if this frozen tundra land (winter is coming and Canada is cold, which makes me grumpy for 8 - 9 months at a time. It was one degree above freezing this morning, and I don't care what system you use, that is frigging cold :angry: ) has anything comparable.

I am 90% sure canada will have the same thing.. IIts a big business and there are a lot of companies, but use Ring Central's pricing as a guideline, as they are the best priced for the quality of service.

I am 90% sure canada will have the same thing.. IIts a big business and there are a lot of companies, but use Ring Central's pricing as a guideline, as they are the best priced for the quality of service.

Does anyone call?

not on the photography site, as we just use mattys' cell phoen number because MOST people want to contact the photog. directly, but on my furry familly site, people called when i was live (for about 3 days)

not on the photography site, as we just use mattys' cell phoen number because MOST people want to contact the photog. directly, but on my furry familly site, people called when i was live (for about 3 days)

Well what the hell did they want? :blink: haha I cannot imagine! In 3 days of being live you got calls?! Do they want to place an order by phone, or ask how to cook a turkey or what? Jeez... What is the point of shopping online if you need to talk to people?

no.. they wanted to hire him for a personal shoot.. He did a public shoot at a fair, and people liked thier pics but wanted more..

no.. they wanted to hire him for a personal shoot.. He did a public shoot at a fair, and people liked thier pics but wanted more..

I thought you meant on your pet supplies site. I can see why you'd need to talk to a photographer directly, but for pet supplies or jewellery, not so much. But maybe that's just me.

So did people call on your pet site?

Oh.. Yea.. I got confused.. The pet supplies sites got me calls when some people had issues checking out - which was good because it was INSTANT knowlede of my site not working properly.. ect. I also got some calls when people were looking for a certain product, and since i said i was always added new ones, people want to know when i might add it.

The thing is, people might NEVER use the phone number, but you and your site is not fool proof. People want to know that they can contact a person if there was, for whatever reason, something wrong with their order.. IE getting lost in the mail, a double credit card check, refunds/returns, wrong item being sent.. and especially if you are not the one shipping the items (you said you had a drop shipper right? or am i making it up in my head) it IS likely to happen.

Anyways, there are a number of reasons customers might want to call you.. but more often than not, they wont and it will just be there to comfort them.

Oh.. Yea.. I got confused.. The pet supplies sites got me calls when some people had issues checking out - which was good because it was INSTANT knowlede of my site not working properly.. ect. I also got some calls when people were looking for a certain product, and since i said i was always added new ones, people want to know when i might add it.

The thing is, people might NEVER use the phone number, but you and your site is not fool proof. People want to know that they can contact a person if there was, for whatever reason, something wrong with their order.. IE getting lost in the mail, a double credit card check, refunds/returns, wrong item being sent.. and especially if you are not the one shipping the items (you said you had a drop shipper right? or am i making it up in my head) it IS likely to happen.

Anyways, there are a number of reasons customers might want to call you.. but more often than not, they wont and it will just be there to comfort them.

No drop shipper, it's just the voices again. ;)

I know I know, if I ever sell anything I'll get an 800 number. For now, I'm hoping the first two or three orders will pay for my wine/strongbow tab for the week (stressful week!) and then the next couple can pay for the phone number. Priorities, ya know!

well then.. anyways, there is always the possibilty for things to go wrong, and that is the FIRST thing on everyone's mind while they are shopping online at a store that they have never purchased before.. they are ALWAYS thinking about possible scams, and having a good, working phone number is one way to ease teh customer's mind.. i think you really should post a phone number, even if you didnt get the 800 # yet.

We use a cell phone as our contact number, it only gets used for business. Hit up Rogers or Telus and see what kinda cheap plans you can get or maybe go with Vonage that way you get a number and free long distance to call your customers back.

Archived