• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Steel Jewellery Store Feedback?

why delete it.. it is still going to do part of what you want it too...

Post the error that you got and the code from which the error is coming from. i can help you make this work because it was something i already did.. Its not an SQL error, so you are good to get help from me.. A fatal error, believe it or not, is an EASY thing to fix.. soem give me the error exactly so i can see the line it is on, and the code..

And from what i heard from burt, using an auto thumbnailer is not the best way to make thumbnails, using photoshop is MUCH MUCH easier.. or whatever program you are using.. i can teach you how to do that too.. Do you have photoshop?

OK, now I feel like a lazy jerk. And I went to the site checker and it told me to make my images smaller too, so I guess since everyone agrees I better do it. ;) So if I use this one, will I have to add the small images to each item that's already in my catalog individually?

Lindsay - Did you say there was a way to make Photoshop make them all into thumbnails at once? (Your photography site looks great, by the way. Did you get everything working for today??)

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep... everything but the downloads because those are just taking an INSANE amount of time..

anyways, with photoshop, it is VERY easy to do, but i have to ask my husband how he set it up.. He's the photographer with all the photoshop skills.. I usually use illustrator.

Also, the photoshop thumbnails are supposed to be better than the autgenerated one. And yes, you do have to upload TWO images, but its not too bad.> I just added 20 products and it didnt take TOOO long. I need to learn how to use easy populate.

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Now I'm confused. Remember the fatal error I got, and I thought maybe it was because I didn't have the small images yet? Well the error made my catalog page disappear so I couldn't add them anyway. To install the contrib, did you just replace the three files and add the one line of SQL? I can't find anywhere that tells me how to install it, but that's what I tried last time... :blink:

I thought i told you that you wouldnt get an error jsut because there is no error.. you would just get a box with an x or nothing..

So to install, you just upload the file that is in catalog folder. The file in the admin folder is something that already exists, so you would be replacing it.. Have you made any changes to your categories.php page in admin?? Actally, the contribution file might have some errors in it which is why you got the error, you might be better off doing it manually anyway. iw ill tell you how.

Also, the language file you dont replace either..

So this is how you figure out what teh contribution files has that you dont have.

get a program that compares two files. The most common for windows is WINMERGE and for mac is DIFFMERGE.

Then you open your contribution categories.php file first and YOUR categories.php file on the right.. When you do that, it will open both files side by side. THERE you will see the changes that need to be made. You can then copy and past OR on the program you can merge certain sections..

Its A LOT EASIER THAN IT SOUNDS.

if you have some serious issues, let me know, i will write out instructions

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

just FYI. i posted a how to on how to make thumbnails instantly in photoshop. in the tips and tricks forum

just FYI. i posted a how to on how to make thumbnails instantly in photoshop. in the tips and tricks forum

You're a good woman. :) I'll go look. When I tried doing them all at once the files were still big, it just resized the images.

I just did the files, so I'm going to see if my catalog still works...

What do you mean all at once??

If you save them exactly how i tell you, the files will be 11.61 exactly.. thats not big.. you need to make sure that the settings that i tell you are the ones you use.. Unless you want then a slightly different size, but it should be just fine with what i wrote out..

You also have to remember to SAVE FOR WEB and choose jpg. with a quality of 80%

What do you mean all at once??

If you save them exactly how i tell you, the files will be 11.61 exactly.. thats not big.. you need to make sure that the settings that i tell you are the ones you use.. Unless you want then a slightly different size, but it should be just fine with what i wrote out..

You also have to remember to SAVE FOR WEB and choose jpg. with a quality of 80%

No, not your instructions. I just went in to Photoshop and tried this "Process Multiple Images" but it just resized them and left them at about 25K. I didn't look at your instructions yet. I'm going there now...

So I got the contrib working. It looks good. I just tried a couple pics.

But when I installed it I still had the fatal error so I went and commented out the two hide session id things... They both look like this now:

//echo tep_hide_session_id() . '</form>';

What will that do? I doubt if I should be commenting out the code in the file Burt made... Everything seems to be working in my site still though... Anyone know?

Hmm.. do you have cookies enabled or session ids setting different??

What was the exact error.. i dont think you ever gave that to me.

Hmm.. do you have cookies enabled or session ids setting different??

What was the exact error.. i dont think you ever gave that to me.

It's gone now because I changed the files. This is what it said:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: tep_hide_session_id() in /mnt/w0709/d20/s09/b02e9e4a/www/steelsomething.com/storemain/catalog/admin/categories.php on line 771

oh.. you just didnt have a function .. but its all good.. if you didnt have the function defined to begin with, seems you didnt need it anylike.. likely.. again, my novice answer..

Did you get to do the photoshop shortcut yet?? i'm interested to see if people like it.

oh.. you just didnt have a function .. but its all good.. if you didnt have the function defined to begin with, seems you didnt need it anylike.. likely.. again, my novice answer..

Did you get to do the photoshop shortcut yet?? i'm interested to see if people like it.

Your novice answer is good with me. It seems to be working fine.

I looked at your shortcut, but I don't have anything to record Actions in Photoshop. I'm just doing them one at a time. It only takes a sec. I have some done. You should go see if you can tell a difference. All the steel bracelets are done. I really like the way they look now, I'm glad I had your help (and encouragement) to install it. I am so lazy sometimes! :lol:

You should!!!! every version of photoshop has it as far back as 998 when my hubby was in college..

Just to a quick help search.. you DEFINITELY have it.. TRUST ME. and it will make life LOADS easier.

I looked in the help before I said that, because I'm always whining that I can't find what people tell me to look for. :rolleyes:

I use Photoshop Elements, if that makes any difference. Anyway, It's all good because I have a bunch of 'em done anyway. If I ever find it in there, I will come on here and confess!

ohh.. you dont have an entire photoshop install then...

HOWEVER, google is telling me that you CAN use actions in photoshop elements

READ HERE.. its a hidden option i guess

ohh.. you dont have an entire photoshop install then...

HOWEVER, google is telling me that you CAN use actions in photoshop elements

READ HERE.. its a hidden option i guess

Wow! Thank you for looking that up! I think you deserve a crown too! I already have a bracelet named Lindsay, but it was called that way before I started offering to name things after people on here. :lol:

haha.. neat-o.. the lindsay bracelet.. you might be seeing and order from me in the near future.. I love your stuff BTW.. do you make it?

haha.. neat-o.. the lindsay bracelet.. you might be seeing and order from me in the near future.. I love your stuff BTW.. do you make it?

Well you might just get a free one! No, I don't make this stuff. I do make some, but I don't have any of it on here. I'll probably put it on a different site, because it's silver and pewter and stuff and won't really go with the "steel something" theme.

my cousin is an amazing jewlery designer.. i wanted to set up a store for her, but she didnt have the money to buy all the metals and gems.. She will one day..

I LOVE the stuff though.. i havent seen the Lindsay though...

lrighty.. My turn to go to bed.. 4am and i got a big day with the inlaws tomorrow.

Can I ask for feedback again? I think I'm nearly done, but probably not...

I installed the thumbnail contribution, and changed some design stuff (got rid of the "car parts" background) so I'm hoping things are less jaggedy and quicker now. Any comments are welcome.

Nicole

My Website

Wow, you site loads INSTANTLY on my cpu.. VERY impressive!

One thing that i noticed that you dont have that i think is REQUIRED to add to your store.. There is a contribution that automatically updates the customer's cart when they change a quantity. Stock oscommerce makes you click the UPDATE button after you change a quantity, and lots of people dont do that, they change the quantity and then proceed to checkout.. this results in people not actually ordering what they want.. So this contribution (which was SUPER SUPER SUPER easy to install) automatically updates that cart when someone is changed or removed.

Overall, i think the look of your site is REALLY good. I mean, the look of it is very consistent, you have AWESOME products (i would DEFINITELY buy from you, and WILL buy form you when i have some extra cash)

Also, you might want to add a gift certificate contribution and discount codes for when you do some advertising. (if you didnt already)

Overall, VERY nice.

OMG i forgot to mention something.. THis is a little pet peeve of mine.. Your site doesnt have a Favicon! When i shop, i usually have a bunch of windows open at a time, and i just like to see the favicon there. .that little blank page just doesnt do it for me.. It is REALLY REALLY easy to make one. You just create a 10px x 10px image and call it favicon.ico and then put some code inyour site to call for it and there it is.. Your little steel ball thing would be a perfect favicon.

Very nice Nicole, a real improvement!

Just a couple of suggestions...

Replace the icon used for My Account, My Cart, Checkout and Contact with individual icons that symbolise the meaning of each link in the heading.

There needs to be a distinction between the returning customer sign in and new customer fields in the checkout process, just a simple border and a bit of vertical separation will do it.

Great job.

Carbon

Archived