• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Steel Jewellery Store Feedback?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haha.. ok.. just making sure.. i had to hop in the shower and didnt want to miss any important qustions.

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

hey.. just wanted ot make sure.. this thumbnail contribution doesnt CREATE a thumbnail right?? it just makes to code for the small image to pop up to the larger one??

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

hey.. just wanted ot make sure.. this thumbnail contribution doesnt CREATE a thumbnail right?? it just makes to code for the small image to pop up to the larger one??

I haven't installed it... That's a good question though.

nope.. it doesnt.. i just creates the pop up and places the small image and the big image in the right place.. you should install it.. it was the easiest thing i did tonight!!!

nope.. it doesnt.. i just creates the pop up and places the small image and the big image in the right place.. you should install it.. it was the easiest thing i did tonight!!!

Really? I'm chicken because I'm not sure about the SQL thing. So you just copy the three files in the directories and then paste the SQL in that field and you're done?

umm.. i think there was only ONE sql file in there.. You just open the file in a text editor and then copy it and paste it into the sql area.. OR you can go to the same area but click where it says IMPORT and just import the sql files...

yea, i checked, there is only ONE sql file and its a text file.. so just open it, ctrl + C (copy) and then ctrl + P (paste) into the MYSQL area of the phpmyadmin.. you did get that far right???

if not, you just go to your cpanel.. find phpmyadmin.. then on the left column you should see your databases listed, choose your store's data base.. that will open the database.. there you will see a few buttons.. IMPORT, EXPORT, MYSQL, ect ect.. you use MYSQL and you will see a large text box where you just past the code in there.. click GO and you will get a SUCCESS FULL note.. YAY!! then you do the happy dance.

umm.. i think there was only ONE sql file in there.. You just open the file in a text editor and then copy it and paste it into the sql area.. OR you can go to the same area but click where it says IMPORT and just import the sql files...

yea, i checked, there is only ONE sql file and its a text file.. so just open it, ctrl + C (copy) and then ctrl + P (paste) into the MYSQL area of the phpmyadmin.. you did get that far right???

if not, you just go to your cpanel.. find phpmyadmin.. then on the left column you should see your databases listed, choose your store's data base.. that will open the database.. there you will see a few buttons.. IMPORT, EXPORT, MYSQL, ect ect.. you use MYSQL and you will see a large text box where you just past the code in there.. click GO and you will get a SUCCESS FULL note.. YAY!! then you do the happy dance.

OK, I installed it, but everything looks the same. My small images are still jaggedy. It said the SQL was successful, and I added the three php files but I don't see any difference at all. No idea about the speed thugh...

Feel like checking? Have a Look

Maybe you need to clear your browser cache. I may be on my first cuppa coffee, but they don't look jagged to me. I like the colors btw.

Try going to your admin and click on the 'thumnails' link in configuration and look at what setting the jpg optimization is set at. Raise it to 100 and see how that looks. Then you can take it down bit by bit.

Maybe you need to clear your browser cache. I may be on my first cuppa coffee, but they don't look jagged to me. I like the colors btw

Really? Thanks. Did you notice if it seemed slow or fast?

Maybe you need to clear your browser cache. I may be on my first cuppa coffee, but they don't look jagged to me. I like the colors btw.

Try going to your admin and click on the 'thumnails' link in configuration and look at what setting the jpg optimization is set at. Raise it to 100 and see how that looks. Then you can take it down bit by bit.

Hey Deb,

Thanks... But I seem to have a different setup than everyone who tries to help me... There is no thumbnail link.

GAH!!! And I have a fatal error in my Cataolog section:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: tep_hide_session_id() in /mnt/w0709/d20/s09/b02e9e4a/www/steelsomething.com/storemain/catalog/admin/categories.php on line 771

Help!!

Hey Deb,

Thanks... But I seem to have a different setup than everyone who tries to help me... There is no thumbnail link.

GAH!!! And I have a fatal error in my Cataolog section:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: tep_hide_session_id() in /mnt/w0709/d20/s09/b02e9e4a/www/steelsomething.com/storemain/catalog/admin/categories.php on line 771

Help!!

Did you make the changes in your files per the instructions in the contribution? If you did, you'd have a thumbnail link, so I'm thinking you just uploaded files and didn't make changes to your current files. Re-read the instructions.

Make the changes in the files, and see if it doesn't clear up the error.

Did you make the changes in your files per the instructions in the contribution? If you did, you'd have a thumbnail link, so I'm thinking you just uploaded files and didn't make changes to your current files. Re-read the instructions.

Make the changes in the files, and see if it doesn't clear up the error.

I couldn't find any instructions... I didn't see them on the download page or in the file after I saved it. I did just upload the files. Crapola. Do you know where the instructions are? I thought it was usually a text file attached with the download, but all I see is the SQL.

Didn't you install the OTFAutoThumbnailer? The instructions are right in the package. If you don't have them, I can email you my zip file. I'd rather send you the whole thing to be sure that you've got everything you need.

Didn't you install the OTFAutoThumbnailer? The instructions are right in the package. If you don't have them, I can email you my zip file. I'd rather send you the whole thing to be sure that you've got everything you need.

No I installed this one: This message is from Burt.

--beginning--

"I was wondering why my ears were burning

OK, the image mod that I like to have running in all the shops I make is pretty simple...

1. Two sizes of image. A thumbnail (this is the standard product_image) and a large_product_image. This large products image is used only in the pop-up...the thumb is used everywhere else. I use http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5777

2. "lightbox" popup for the popup (instead of the standard popup). However I use my own version, not the version that most people use. The version I use is called "prettyphoto" (google it). Easy to use, easy to modify and very easy to integrate to oscommerce.

Hope this helps?

For stores that need more that 1 thumb and 1 large, it's not at all difficult to replicate the codebase as many times as is needed. Just last week I installed my "easy thumbnail" code 5 times in the same shop - meaning the shop owner now has 5 thumbs on the product page, along with 5 large popups. "

--end--

So I used the one he linked. It looked like the easiest...

Ok.. that one doesnt turn you existing images into thumbnails, you create your OWN thumbnails and then upload them.

THE ONLY CHANGE that you will see on your admin is if you go to create a new product.. Then there will be a field that says THUMBNAIL and a field that says LARGE IMAGE.. This puts the small image in your product listing and description, and your large image in the pop up, instead of using the large image for everything and just squeezing it into small places..

That means you have to make your own thumbnails.. WHICH IS EASY TO DO.. do you have photoshop? Because if you do, all you have to do is open all your pictures as the same time, click select all, and then set the command to create athumbnails at the size you specify and its done..

but i think deb, you have it confused - the on the fly thumbnailer creates the thumbnail images for you.. not this one.

Ok.. that one doesnt turn you existing images into thumbnails, you create your OWN thumbnails and then upload them.

THE ONLY CHANGE that you will see on your admin is if you go to create a new product.. Then there will be a field that says THUMBNAIL and a field that says LARGE IMAGE.. This puts the small image in your product listing and description, and your large image in the pop up, instead of using the large image for everything and just squeezing it into small places..

That means you have to make your own thumbnails.. WHICH IS EASY TO DO.. do you have photoshop? Because if you do, all you have to do is open all your pictures as the same time, click select all, and then set the command to create athumbnails at the size you specify and its done..

but i think deb, you have it confused - the on the fly thumbnailer creates the thumbnail images for you.. not this one.

So how do I get rid of the contribution? I still have the fatal error in my Catalog and can't look at anything in there. I saved copies of the files. Can I just delete the SQL line or will that make more errors? Alternatively, am I allowed to contact Burt, or do I have to go posting for help on the contrib section?

Yep, I didn't have it confused, I just didn't know which contribution she used. I like the other one because it saves me from that work. I've got 2717 products and adding more, so to have to do all that for my already included products is a pain.

BTW: I use Arles for batch changing images. It's small and really easy to use. It also has a html page creator for galleries and such if you need to use that feature as well.

So how do I get rid of the contribution? I still have the fatal error in my Catalog and can't look at anything in there. I saved copies of the files. Can I just delete the SQL line or will that make more errors? Alternatively, am I allowed to contact Burt, or do I have to go posting for help on the contrib section?

Add a thread in the contributions section for that contribution....anyway, that's what I'd do. PM'ing someone for help is a nono unless they've told you specifically you can do that.

Add a thread in the contributions section for that contribution....anyway, that's what I'd do. PM'ing someone for help is a nono unless they've told you specifically you can do that.

OK, thanks. That's what I thought. What about removing it though? If I just put my original files back in place of the ones I got from the contrib will it work? :(

OK, thanks. That's what I thought. What about removing it though? If I just put my original files back in place of the ones I got from the contrib will it work? :(

Well, it should unless the sql you added changed a value that was already there. Give it a shot.

why delete it.. it is still going to do part of what you want it too...

Post the error that you got and the code from which the error is coming from. i can help you make this work because it was something i already did.. Its not an SQL error, so you are good to get help from me.. A fatal error, believe it or not, is an EASY thing to fix.. soem give me the error exactly so i can see the line it is on, and the code..

And from what i heard from burt, using an auto thumbnailer is not the best way to make thumbnails, using photoshop is MUCH MUCH easier.. or whatever program you are using.. i can teach you how to do that too.. Do you have photoshop?

I took it out already. I hate fatal errors. Thanks for all your help, ladies. I think I'll leave it the way it is for a while... Deb said it looked OK this morning (after only one coffee, true so maybe she has a different opinion now ;) ), but I don't know enough about this stuff to fix anything if it breaks. I had to call an IT guy at my fiancee's work this morning to ask about the SQL thing! I'm a spaz.

Lindsay - I do have Photoshop, so maybe I'll look at that and then try a different contribution? Or I wonder if the error was because I didn't have the thumbnails uploaded. So maybe I'll try that one again. Some day.

Now that I know I can just change it back, I'm not so terrified.

Cheers,

Nicole

Archived