• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Steel Jewellery Store Feedback?

Deb, I think he just doesn't like presents for some reason. No earrings, no penis hat... I suppose you don't want me to get you a pony or an alligator either?! :P

Yeah, don't give him a present. Send him something with an invoice. That should fix it! :rolleyes:

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, don't give him a present. Send him something with an invoice. That should fix it! :rolleyes:

No way man! He fixed my stuff! I think I will send him a pony anyway. Once he sees it I'm sure he'll change his mind. After all, not liking a pony is like not liking a vibrator, which is "like not liking a cute little puppy"! (See, I told ya I read this stuff! I need more hobbies) ;)

Now that your SSL certificate is doing what it should and everyone is looking great in their penis hats and hanging on to their cute little like a puppy vibrators it's probably time to address the reason why the site is a bit slow when showing categories.

I'd suggest installing one of the multi sized image contributions, if you have a look at the Stainless Steel Bracelet category you have about 480kb worth of "thumbnails" that aren't actually thumbnails but largish 30Kb images resized with height and width tags. Install one of the image contributions and create real thumbnails at about 5 to 8kb each and the page load time will be considerably faster.

And then whilst you are in the mood for image optimisation I bet if you tried really hard you could get that header image down from 40kb to 20kb and looking just as good :)

Now that your SSL certificate is doing what it should and everyone is looking great in their penis hats and hanging on to their cute little like a puppy vibrators it's probably time to address the reason why the site is a bit slow when showing categories.

I'd suggest installing one of the multi sized image contributions, if you have a look at the Stainless Steel Bracelet category you have about 480kb worth of "thumbnails" that aren't actually thumbnails but largish 30Kb images resized with height and width tags. Install one of the image contributions and create real thumbnails at about 5 to 8kb each and the page load time will be considerably faster.

And then whilst you are in the mood for image optimisation I bet if you tried really hard you could get that header image down from 40kb to 20kb and looking just as good :)

HAA! Nice change of subject (how do you spell "segue"? :P )... I have been wondering when we would get back to the slow loading times... I'm on cable, so I just pretend everyone else is too. Lalala!!

Back to reality! It's just that I'm terrified of contributions, because it looks like they make a lot of coding headaches that I am clearly powerless to tackle. I did install the faster checkout one or something like that, and it seems to be fine, so maybe I'll give the next one a shot.

Regarding the header image - good point. I changed it fifty times and probably have about ten invisible layers in there! I will check...

Thanks for lookng!

Nicole

only SOME contributions create headaches, all of us (memebers of the code breakers club) are lucky enough to have nice, helpful people here to fix things and walk us through those fixes..

Go for the contributions.. Just make sure to BACK UP!! is your site live? If not, then break your site.. it'll be fine as long as you do backups!!

damn those layers!!! you must be pretty good at illustrator, those images are nice.

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

only SOME contributions create headaches, all of us (memebers of the code breakers club) are lucky enough to have nice, helpful people here to fix things and walk us through those fixes..

Go for the contributions.. Just make sure to BACK UP!! is your site live? If not, then break your site.. it'll be fine as long as you do backups!!

damn those layers!!! you must be pretty good at illustrator, those images are nice.

The helpful people here are great! After all the help with my SSL I'm not as leery, but every time I go look at one I just stare and leave... I must be daft, but it seems like there's a list of files and I'm never sure what I need to download... When I DO try it and get a migraine, should I post here or should I go to another thread? :rolleyes:

Re: the images - thanks very much. Once I stopped thinking that "layers don't matter and I can probably ignore them because I'm not sure how to use them", then things started to get prettier... Turns out that in Photoshop they matter very much. HAHA

heres a little tip.. your best of downloading the LAST package by the original author, OR downloading the last package by someone on here that you kinda know as a good programmer.. so if i see one by Burt, Jack, Spooks, i will download those.. but never from some no name

You can also ALWAYS go to the contribution's support thread and just ask which ones to download.. people will tell you what worked for them. It is a shame that so many people post these obscure "bug fixes" that really arent real BUGS just issues within their own code that they made.. i THINK they are working on a way to lock some contributions so the original author has to ok a contribution or bug fix

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

heres a little tip.. your best of downloading the LAST package by the original author, OR downloading the last package by someone on here that you kinda know as a good programmer.. so if i see one by Burt, Jack, Spooks, i will download those.. but never from some no name

You can also ALWAYS go to the contribution's support thread and just ask which ones to download.. people will tell you what worked for them. It is a shame that so many people post these obscure "bug fixes" that really arent real BUGS just issues within their own code that they made.. i THINK they are working on a way to lock some contributions so the original author has to ok a contribution or bug fix

Thanks, that's very helpful. I think I did see one that Burt locked down... It was a thumbnail one I think, and it said up in the corner that it was blocked from posts that weren't approved by him or something like that.

I was looking at my files, and most of them are around 18 - 20 KB. Would a thumbnail program really reduce them THAT much so it would make the page a lot faster?

im GLAD he locked it.. people were already talking about adding bug fixes that were useless to most.. Yes, get a thumbnail program it WILL HELP!! and it will make your smaller images look better.. when you take a big file and cram it into a small image, you get some weird pixelation going on..

I am going to install one for my site tonight.. i dont have it yet.. I kinda feel like the stock oscommcer should come with that because i dont know one type of store thatwouldnt benefit from it!!

im GLAD he locked it.. people were already talking about adding bug fixes that were useless to most.. Yes, get a thumbnail program it WILL HELP!! and it will make your smaller images look better.. when you take a big file and cram it into a small image, you get some weird pixelation going on..

I am going to install one for my site tonight.. i dont have it yet.. I kinda feel like the stock oscommcer should come with that because i dont know one type of store thatwouldnt benefit from it!!

I know, there's lots of stuff that should be included... So let me know how it goes. Which one are you installing? I know I have to do it... Burt's only had one file I think so I was thinking about that one...

I was wondering why my ears were burning :D

OK, the image mod that I like to have running in all the shops I make is pretty simple...

1. Two sizes of image. A thumbnail (this is the standard product_image) and a large_product_image. This large products image is used only in the pop-up...the thumb is used everywhere else. I use http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5777

2. "lightbox" popup for the popup (instead of the standard popup). However I use my own version, not the version that most people use. The version I use is called "prettyphoto" (google it). Easy to use, easy to modify and very easy to integrate to oscommerce.

Hope this helps?

For stores that need more that 1 thumb and 1 large, it's not at all difficult to replicate the codebase as many times as is needed. Just last week I installed my "easy thumbnail" code 5 times in the same shop - meaning the shop owner now has 5 thumbs on the product page, along with 5 large popups.

awesome burt.. I am definitely going to use that pop up with the lightbox.. since it s a photography site, lightboxes are the norm.. I have, however, used teh Additional Images contribution as well for my other website because i needed multiple images for one product, not just one thumb and one large.. additional images gives you three images and whent he pop up shows up, the smaller images are shown on that window so the used doesnt have to close the window and reopen to see the other image.. That type of contribution is good if you need to show your items in multiple angles or multiple uses.

I was wondering why my ears were burning :D

OK, the image mod that I like to have running in all the shops I make is pretty simple...

1. Two sizes of image. A thumbnail (this is the standard product_image) and a large_product_image. This large products image is used only in the pop-up...the thumb is used everywhere else. I use http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5777

2. "lightbox" popup for the popup (instead of the standard popup). However I use my own version, not the version that most people use. The version I use is called "prettyphoto" (google it). Easy to use, easy to modify and very easy to integrate to oscommerce.

Hope this helps?

For stores that need more that 1 thumb and 1 large, it's not at all difficult to replicate the codebase as many times as is needed. Just last week I installed my "easy thumbnail" code 5 times in the same shop - meaning the shop owner now has 5 thumbs on the product page, along with 5 large popups.

Thanks, I guess I better try it since I'm back in changing colors in my site again anyway. :rolleyes: This will be much more productive..

I stand corrected... It isn't more productive at all... I really feel like I should know this, but I don't see any instructions and I'm not sure (i.e. I have no clue) what to do with the SQL file...

Help?

PS - I have new colors now! haha

if it is an exec file, then you go to your cpanel.. where it says phpmyadmin click that

then on the far left you will see a list of databases, choose your catalog's database.. that will open the mysql control panel screen.. You will see then an IMPORT bottom towards the top. then you just click import, choose the exec file and you're done. you will get a note that says your query was executed successfully.

never mind.. its not an exec file, its just a text.. instead, you go to MYSQL button at the top and copy the text and paste it in that big field there.. you will get the same note though

if it is an exec file, then you go to your cpanel.. where it says phpmyadmin click that

then on the far left you will see a list of databases, choose your catalog's database.. that will open the mysql control panel screen.. You will see then an IMPORT bottom towards the top. then you just click import, choose the exec file and you're done. you will get a note that says your query was executed successfully.

You're a "glass half full" kinda gal, arntcha??! hehe It's a text file. And my host's help files, which have been of zero use to me compared to this forum, say that text files aren't compatible and that I have to use a program to convert it to an SQL (nothing about exec files anywhere). I've never gone anywhere near any of the databases yet, so I'm reluctant to start trying to add anything to them... Oh my aching head. :huh:

never mind.. its not an exec file, its just a text.. instead, you go to MYSQL button at the top and copy the text and paste it in that big field there.. you will get the same note though

GAH! At the top of what? I've looked at the top of everything in sight and there is no big field anywhere. If I got that note I would die of happiness. jeez... OK, I'll go look.

ok.. Can you get to the phpmyadmin via your cpanel??

i will walk you through this, its EASY

ok.. now do you see on the left two things, like

steelsomething.db (4325)

somethingelse.db (133)

those are made up.. just look for something that looks liek that

actually it will look more like:

phpmyadmin

[] [] [] [] []

steelsom_osc (154)

information_schema (17)

it will be aligned to the far left in probably a grey column..

ok.. now do you see on the left two things, like

steelsomething.db (4325)

somethingelse.db (133)

those are made up.. just look for something that looks liek that

No, there's a menu, and if I click "databases" when it comes up with one thing called "d60..." just numbers. Then I click in a bit, and there s a big field (AHA!!) where it says "Run SQL query on database "d60..." and under that it says "or location of the text file" with a browse button.

ok.. you must not be using the same version as me...

where it says run query, you just copy the text and paste.. and then clikc run

did oyu get it workin???

Archived