• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Ready to launch

webslingers

MUCH MUCH nicer and it didnt lock up my cpu!!

the only issue.. the play grey button overlaps the text that says CLICK HERE TO PLAY

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

MUCH MUCH nicer and it didnt lock up my cpu!!

the only issue.. the play grey button overlaps the text that says CLICK HERE TO PLAY

Yeah, I wanted to make sure it would work before re-rendering the video. YAY! Thank you so much!

I will be hitting all of the other points made here, some you can already see.

Now i've done it! I had that flash video working on the front page earlier today. I'm not exactly sure what I did, but it stopped working. So I took everything out and tried to do it all over again... this time with no success. Does anyone have experience with sts using flash videos. I'm just not sure of the propper way to first, create the flash video, and second, where to put all the different files needed for it.

Help? Thanks!

cant you undo what you did to kill it???

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

wellm, what were you working on when you noticed it died?? this can help me understand what went wrong..

wellm, what were you working on when you noticed it died?? this can help me understand what went wrong..

I must have just moved a file or something. It's back running again. :) I am having a problem putting flash into "unlimited info pages" though. Just not sure where the files go for that.

The store is now live. :)

Ok everyone... here is my next site going live very soon. Please check it out and let me know ANYTHING you think is of interest. Thanks in advance for all your help!

http://microfence.com/index.php

Hi,

I now see why you wanted to keep that movie on the front page, very well produced... I want a microfence and I don't even own a router. ;)

What it does need is some sort of start and finish content within the video area (just like youtube) as it looks unfinished before you play (the actual play button is a bit small and easily missed, it needs a whopping play symbol smack in the middle of the viewing area) and completely plain white after.

Also, and I know you're gonna hate this because you probably have it printed on stationary and I saw you use it in the video, but... your logo needs a real spruce up. I mean this in the most sincere way, but it looks like something that would have taken me about 10 minutes from start to finish and a logo is sooooooo important, it's like your flag, badge and image all in one.

If you need help with it let me know, I'm no expert but I definately could improve it a lot.

The "Categories" type boxes you have in the left panel have a white background on a very pale canvas and could really do with a splash of contrast. In fact, if you look at the green headings of each box you'll notice that they extend slighly beyond the width of the box content... it would look cool if you enclosed the box with a matching and aligned green border.

This code in most of your <body> tags is still causing a script error (not major but some people might subconsciously associate it with sloppiness).

onLoad="MM_CheckFlashVersion('7,0,0,0','Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player. Do you want to download it now?');"

... the MM_CheckFlashVersion script does not appear within your code so when you call it the error is produced.

When I choose a category I get taken to the products listing page and each item has the following links... click image > product info, click description > product info, click buy now button > product info. Make another button called "More Info" and place it above the "buy now" button, then recode the buy now button so that it skips the product info page and actually adds the item to your cart and takes you to the cart.... WAIT A MINUTE.... I've just realised that it only detours to the info page if the customer needs to choose a compatible router.... in this case, tell them at the top of the page and place another router selection dropdown menu and add to cart button right at the top. There's a lot to scroll through before you get to the bottom and many might think the buy now button took them to the wrong page... like I did.

When there's something in the shopping cart you should pulse the checkout button in your heading as the only other clue is the shopping cart summary in the left panel and it's so far down the page that it may be off the page for a lot of people.

That's enough to keep you busy for a bit.

Carbon

Hi,

I now see why you wanted to keep that movie on the front page, very well produced... I want a microfence and I don't even own a router. ;)

What it does need is some sort of start and finish content within the video area (just like youtube) as it looks unfinished before you play (the actual play button is a bit small and easily missed, it needs a whopping play symbol smack in the middle of the viewing area) and completely plain white after.

Also, and I know you're gonna hate this because you probably have it printed on stationary and I saw you use it in the video, but... your logo needs a real spruce up. I mean this in the most sincere way, but it looks like something that would have taken me about 10 minutes from start to finish and a logo is sooooooo important, it's like your flag, badge and image all in one.

If you need help with it let me know, I'm no expert but I definately could improve it a lot.

The "Categories" type boxes you have in the left panel have a white background on a very pale canvas and could really do with a splash of contrast. In fact, if you look at the green headings of each box you'll notice that they extend slighly beyond the width of the box content... it would look cool if you enclosed the box with a matching and aligned green border.

This code in most of your <body> tags is still causing a script error (not major but some people might subconsciously associate it with sloppiness).

onLoad="MM_CheckFlashVersion('7,0,0,0','Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player. Do you want to download it now?');"

... the MM_CheckFlashVersion script does not appear within your code so when you call it the error is produced.

When I choose a category I get taken to the products listing page and each item has the following links... click image > product info, click description > product info, click buy now button > product info. Make another button called "More Info" and place it above the "buy now" button, then recode the buy now button so that it skips the product info page and actually adds the item to your cart and takes you to the cart.... WAIT A MINUTE.... I've just realised that it only detours to the info page if the customer needs to choose a compatible router.... in this case, tell them at the top of the page and place another router selection dropdown menu and add to cart button right at the top. There's a lot to scroll through before you get to the bottom and many might think the buy now button took them to the wrong page... like I did.

When there's something in the shopping cart you should pulse the checkout button in your heading as the only other clue is the shopping cart summary in the left panel and it's so far down the page that it may be off the page for a lot of people.

That's enough to keep you busy for a bit.

Carbon

Wow, another great review! Thank you for taking the time to write this. First, I TOTALLY agree about the logo, but my client will never change that logo. I already tried. It's in magazines, dvd's, brochures, and literally in thousands of places already. He's been using it for years.

His whole dvd was produced very nicely which is why he wants the whole thing on the site. Placing the other vids in flash is my current problem being worked on. I also agree about the big play button and whatnot, but have 0 clue about how to do that. The white at the end was put there by quicktime I'm thinking. I might have to re-render all the videos one more time in another format since I'm not using QT anymore.

I will take care of that code asap! Thank you very much for pointing that out. Another "Frank doesn't know flash" moment there. lol

As for the category boxes, I just added something quick. I'll have to see if I can change it in a way that he likes. I couldn't get the table to give me a row of only 5px so it's stuck how it is (updated) until I figure out how to get what I want out of it.

I would LOVE to put a shopping cart thing at the top in that big empty space but haven't figured out how to do that yet. I think that would help out a lot.

I'll have to read your paragraph about the purchase trail and figure out what you mean. I can see a good piont in there, just not sure how to fix that all up at this point.

Again thank you and everyone else for the great pointers and reviews!!! They help out greatly! If anyone wants to give me some flash help, that would also be greatly apreciated.

Thanks again to you and everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone care to take another look. I've done quite a few fixes.

Thanks!

As a beginner I love your site!! Really nice flow. Can I ask how you inserted a new info box (e.g. Magazine Articles) and then the html pages they link to?

Thanks very much,

Phil

Archived