• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Would you buy in my shop?

rainbow007

I don't know how many times I have changed the layout, but my wife says, that now final :wink:

Any advice would be helpful, especially in regard of the navigation. For me its simple, but for other ppl too?

You could please check both languages, as the German version is slightly different from the English one.

Thanks in advance

rainbow007 aka Gerhard

www.moddingstore.de/default.php

Besser heute als morgen......

You have lost the session ID functionality in addig your own cart button to the header in DHTML.

You have to keep the PHP code in for that link, or anyone with cookies disabled can not add to the cart and then checkout successfully.

Try it yourself.

Go to your site with privacy set to top, if your using IE. Then add something to cart, then click the Cart button at the top of your site.

You lose whatever content you had in the cart. Becos you had no session ID for the customer.

You must sort that if you want the site to be open to all.

I like the overall look of the site, but I really dont like the background.

It looks like cheap wallpaper.

I'm still looking so I'll let you know some more in a sec.

CC.

oops, my last post I still had cookies off. Haha it lost my login. :lol:

I notice too that your configurator is not linked properly in the information box.

Click it you will see what I mean.

CC.

And lastly from me, then I'll shut up.

Make all the images with transparent backgrounds, it helps to finish the look of the site so much.

Personally I hate to see white boxes behind every image.

It just isnt necessary.

CC.

P.S. - Give a big medal to your wife for putting up with you whilst doing your OSC site.

If she is anything like mine, she will back you 100%, but begrudge 50% of that time because she wanting to go out, have a meal, sit in front of TV, go to Cinema etc etc etc.

Arnt we such lucky guys to find such patient women.

hehe.

Little error: Copyright ? 2002 -2030

Be aware that A LOT of browsers will not see your dhtml menu and therefore can not navigate through the site!

I also agree with CC about the white behind the images.

Regards,

Mattice

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

I do like the dhtml menu!!

Where did you find the code for this??

Do you hard code the categorie id's in??

Mark Evans

osCommerce Monkey & Lead Guitarist for "Sparky + the Monkeys" (Album on sale in all good record shops)

---------------------------------------

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free. (Linus Torvalds)

Where shall I start?

the copyright was on purpose;-)

The images I will change in the next couple of days, as I need new ones and change all to the same size. In regard of the DTHML menue, I know there is a problem, but according to my stats, I have more then 90% visitors coming with IE 6.0, and there is still a drop down menue in the left column.

For the background: Its a cheap wallpaper;-) I have tried several other things but never liked it. Perhaps I get an idea later.

Last point: I believe my wife will like it very much if I tell her that I want to change about 400 pics. Seems, it would be better to take her out for dinner tonight, will give me a couple days night shift allowance :D

If there are some other suggestions, I would like to hear (read) about it.

Thanks

rainbow007

It might be nice to read the browser that is being used and if it is a version of Internet Explorer then present the DHTML menu, and remove the other menu, and if it is Not IE, then remove the DHTML and serve up a plain categories box instead.

Thats easy to do, and would be very effective I think.

I hate having to be completely honest but here goes:

I went to your main site:

http://www.moddingstore.de/

If that were the first page of your site I were to stumble on, I promise you I wouldn't go to the next page. It looks very 1994.

I can see your DHTML menu and it is nice, but I would lose it if you are having any browser compatibility issues.

And I don't like the background.

And I am in your situation, except I am female and the patient one is male. I generally work on this until he goes to bed, but boy is he ever patient.

It always helps that I pull in money, work at home, keep daughter out of daycare, keep the house clean, laundry done and hot homecooked meals on the table.

Hmmmmmm. I think I'll take them out to dinner tonight.

My suggestion is to take into account that lots of people have 14" monitors and are still running at 800x600. Or even people that do run a 17" or 19" monitors, still run a 800x600, like my wife and my father inlaw, they both have trouble seeing the screen at the higher res. I hate having to scroll at the bottom. I won't deal with it, and just leave.

Steve

-------------------------

You know that really frustrates me when people are still sat in 800x600

Dont get me wrong I still build sites that fit 800x600.

And I appreciate not everyone has 24" monitors on their desk.

And I obviously understand those with poor eyes.

But just general viewers that still surf in 800x600 need to sort things out.

Hopefully those viewers WILL come to my site, and I can flog them a new 24" monitor!! :lol:

CC.

Rainbow...

quick question. What kind of language are you using to create your menu at the top....the drop down meny?

Nice look though. I would move the categories drop-down more towards the top. At the bottom I am sure it isn't getting much use.

Also, if you have the language set to English....it helps to have the guides in the same language.

HTH,

-Chris

Chris Sullivan

Okay guys:

the resolution 800 x 600 won't be any use for our shop, the logs say:

96 % of our visitors using 1024 x 768 and bigger, therefore it stays at it is.

The start-up screen has moved from the 70' to now, I removed the background pic.

There are for sure some browser probs but its just the same, the logs say, it does not matter. Our clientle is mostly between 12 and 35 years old and these guys running IE, only 2.3% are on Netscrap and all the other browsers are in a range of >1%.

kathrynmuir: good idea with the dinner, sometimes it free's your mind;-)

The menu is made with Milonics DTHML menue, and I needed to hardcode all the categories.

The modding guides are still in development stage, if we have some more, we will break them off in English and German.

Once more, thanks for your suggestions, its helping quite a lot. And if someone has an idea about the background, it would be highly appreciated.

Decent site but no, I wouldn't purchase from it.

First it took me too long to find the categories. The top navigation is too crowded and half of those links could be put elsewhere. Some like the Guestbook can be removed in my opinion.

Second, you are in Germany. The shipping to me would be outrageous and your prices are already very high compared to what I am paying so it wouldn't be a good deal for me.

I don't know how many times I have changed the layout, but my wife says, that now final :wink:

Any advice would be helpful, especially in regard of the navigation. For me its simple, but for other ppl too?

You could please check both languages, as the German version is slightly different from the English one.

Thanks in advance

rainbow007 aka Gerhard

www.moddingstore.de/default.php

Unfortunatly some people gave you the idea that DHTML Menus are bad.

Well! That's not true... but the one you are using (at least that version) belongs to those that give bad name to DHTML since it doesn't appear in my Phoenix mozilla-based browser (and it should I assure you) ;)

Most of them work without any problem with MSIE, Netscape, Mozilla, Phoenix and Opera in MS Windows, Apple Mac, Linux and SunOS. Some even work well with other Linux based browsers.

So, here are some that you can use (Free, non-Free):

[*]SoThink - http://www.srctec.com/webtools/dhtmlmenu/

[*]DHTML Central - http://www.dhtmlcentral.com/projects/coolmenus

[*]Milonic Menu (you must upgrade your version) - http://www.milonic.co.uk/menu/

For start I think this will be enough! Download them. Test them. Read the Tutorials (don't ask me :-)). Play around. Make your own fresh new dhtml menu system with what you probably learned from others code (no piracy, please) or Pay/Donate to the choosed one.

Enjoy and make a really working DHTML site.

Ah! And ALL visitors are important as you should know if you really want to run a business. For the experience I have in my working life, if one visitor has problems with your site you will surely loose 10 or more friends of him/her (does will be the ones that will never appear in your stats and make it sound good) and you surely don't wont that, do you?

Best of lucks,

:cool: Lopo

PS: I liked the clean design. Clean is good :D

If I helped you, you can help others too.

Search Affero Network. Thanks :)

--

moving mentalities >> fast forward

You keep referring to your logs, are they showing the people that don't wait long enough for the page to load or leave immediately or it crashes their browser?

I love technology and all it does, and if your target audience is ONLY upscale then great, don't worry about it, but if you are selling people their first computer, or second, wouldn't it make sense the one they are using isn't "up to snuff"? In other words, when I am in the market for a computer, it is because the one I already have *doesn't* support the new technology and I need to *upgrade*.

And about the 800x600 issue, a lot of my site(s) visitors are still browsing at 640x480, one of my biggest audiences is <<shudder>> WEB TV and the very well off physicians I work for, if they have a computer at all, are using 2000 technology, AOL and 800x600. And they shop overseas, especially in France.

Money to spend doesn't always = most up to date computer to browse with.

Debbie

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]

and:

There are for sure some browser probs but its just the same, the logs say, it does not matter. Our clientle is mostly between 12 and 35 years old and these guys running IE, only 2.3% are on Netscrap and all the other browsers are in a range of >1%.

Your logic is based on wrong assumptions IMHO. If your site only works with 1024x768 I am sure you will not see that much people trying to look at it with 800x600.

And if you are only supporting IE the mozilla/opera/safari/KDE users will for sure never visit your site.

I think it is wise to use the standards defined and to never rely on proprietary methods. Someday, in a future not far from now, Microsoft will drop some stuf and add some new stuff. They have done it before, they will do it again as long as people like you are supporting them ;-)

By using XHTML/HTML4 compliant code only, you make sure you can reach all the audience that might be interested in your products and you save yourself a lot of trouble when proprietry stuff goes wrong or is altered.

Just my .02 - no offense meant.

You can't have everything. That's why trains have difficulty crossing oceans, and hippos did not adapt to fly. -- from the OpenBSD mailinglist.

Hi Gerhard,

can I ask a simple question concerning the (not) buttons you are using.

I like the "Text-only-buttons" you have implemented a lot.

Could you please let me know what font your were using?

Would like to play around with it on my buttons.

Thanks a lot.

EL Bavaro

(...)

As many already told you... don't get too attached to your logs. Sometimes they lie :lol:

The  menu is made with Milonics DTHML menue, and I needed to hardcode all the categories.

I've already posted here a few DHTML Menu Software addresses but this was one I almost forget. It had several advantages:

[*]It's GPL

[*]It works with most browsers

[*]It's FREE - but accepts donation surely :D

[*]It's a PHP Class

[*]Menus could be generated interactively from PHP scripts (see sample source)

It's The phpLayersMenu and you can grab it at http://phplayersmenu.sourceforge.net. Enjoy it!

Once more, thanks for your suggestions, its helping quite a lot.

Glad we could help,

:cool: Lopo

--

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it need me always sometime, to go through all the suggestions, proposals etc. you guys add on. I believe its the most valuable support one can get, as how many times I thought that's it and simply couldn't see anymore detail. Getting blind.......

What did I do this time? I optimized the pics, using thumbs for the catalog and seperate pics for the pop-ups, tried to make the page as short as possible (less scrolling) and removed the footer. Put all the copyright info into a small scrolling box, changed the product listing, put the pdf catalog and the printable catalog in....

and I have daily sales and about 650 visitors and 3,000 pageviews per day :lol:

rainbow007

Hi,

Still problems with the scroller... at least with Mozilla's based Phoenix browser.

Dont use the <marquee> tag. Use instead a JavaScript scroller. There's a lot out there :lol:

Those have Free and Commercial Enhanced versions

http://www.softcomplex.com/products/tigra_...ller/demo1.html

http://members.rogers.com/bazil/ (NN, IE, Opera7)

And here is a place you can search for many more:

http://www.hotscripts.com/JavaScript/Scrip...Text_Scrolling/

Hope could help,

8) Lopo

--

1146 - Table 'db39422228.visitors' doesn't exist

select counter from visitors where browser_ip = '***.**.**.**' AND browser_language = 'en-au'

[TEP STOP]

Archived