• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Thoroughly confused after reading the threads

ufodepot

I have read many of the threads on PayPal and am very confused by it all. PLEASE HELP!

I am currently using AuthorizeNet and PayPal for those who have a PayPal account.

1. In OS Commerce there is a PayPal module (which I now use) and a PayPal IPN. Are either of those the PayPal Express or PayPal Standard module referred to in the threads? Or are those different modules that I have to add-on?

2. Does a customer have to have a PayPal account to pay, if I use PayPal's merchant services?

3. On PayPal's site they offer Website Payment Standards or Website Payments Pro. Will they both work with the same module in OS Commerce or does each need a different module?

I appreciate any clarification from anyone.

Thanks,

Hope

1. In OS Commerce there is a PayPal module (which I now use) and a PayPal IPN. Are either of those the PayPal Express or PayPal Standard module referred to in the threads? Or are those different modules that I have to add-on?

2. Does a customer have to have a PayPal account to pay, if I use PayPal's merchant services?

3. On PayPal's site they offer Website Payment Standards or Website Payments Pro. Will they both work with the same module in OS Commerce or does each need a different module?

Hope, Will read any replies with interest, because I have just come on to search for similar answers!

Hi,

I'm not an expert on it, but I can answer a few things

I believe paypal module is the standard and you need a separate one for Express.

No, they can use credit card without an account.

That I don't know. There's a large void of documentation about exactly what module does exactly what things.

I have read many of the threads on PayPal and am very confused by it all. PLEASE HELP!

I am currently using AuthorizeNet and PayPal for those who have a PayPal account.

I appreciate any clarification from anyone.

Thanks,

Hope

Paypal has three types of accounts. The only two most sites will use are the Standard and the Pro. The standard is the free one (except for the per item fee). Customers leave your site and go to paypal to make the payment with this one. The Pro requires a $20/month payment plus the fee. Customers can stay on your site and pay with this one. To make this more confusing, Paypal has an improved version of the Standard method that is included with the Pro account. Typically, the free Paypal Standard account is referred to as Paypal IPN. In the Paypal pro contributions, it is referred to as Paypal Standard. That's how the naming convention was for a while until Harold released the Paypal Standard contribution that works with the free version (paypal IPN). I hope this clears it up since I'm starting to confuse myself. :)

There is an option in the settings in your paypal account that allows your customers to complete the order without having a paypal account. That is turned off by default.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons