• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Almost ready to go live.

cypher1919

Just wanted some feedback. I stuck with most of the original OSC navigation of things. Some of the right hand boxes are going to be removed, I need to do a few more tweaks here and there, (get rid of the cartoons) but all in all I'm almost ready to go live.

DLH Collectibles

Nothing Difficult is ever easy.

Roadmap 4 Newbies

Paypal Standard Setup

Toolbox: Gimp, DreamweaverCS3, Bluefish, kwrite, Konsole, ImageMagick, personal shell scripts, Eclipse, and Amarok(tunes produce better code)

There are 10 types of ppl in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I code. Thats all I do. Morning, noon, and night. I dream in hexadecimal.

the first thing i tell EVERYONE is to get images in your infobox headers. Its the first step in getting away frm the stock oscommerce look without doing too much to the overall layout. A nice square image with rounded corners would look good on your site.

I definitely think you need a new header. An actual LOGO in that header is the best way to start your website branding. Thisway if you do any advertising with banners or actual print ads, you can have your logo match your website.

i would add the Product listing Enhancements from Spooks. it puts your product listing in thumbnails with a lot of extras. REALLY nice.

You have STOCK OSCOMMERCE BUTTONS.. why? they dont come close to matching the rest of your site

I could go on, but the thing is, all you did was center the store, change the colors, and add a few functionality contributions. You have a long way to go with design. You CAN keep the oscommerce navigation and still have a unique site. A CSS flyout menu is also a good way to start.

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Changed some stuff around, may not be able to tell the difference. Still haven't got around to changing the boxes. Working on the header now trying to revamp it a little bit. Its all a work in progress. Got a few days left before deadline, so everything else is being put on the backburner as of now... lol :P

Roadmap 4 Newbies

Paypal Standard Setup

Toolbox: Gimp, DreamweaverCS3, Bluefish, kwrite, Konsole, ImageMagick, personal shell scripts, Eclipse, and Amarok(tunes produce better code)

There are 10 types of ppl in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Your header links like "my account", "shopping cart" and breadcrumbs are on a light yellow background ... and you've set the hover color to be white ... VERYYYYY hard to read i'd change that if I was you

Your header links like "my account", "shopping cart" and breadcrumbs are on a light yellow background ... and you've set the hover color to be white ... VERYYYYY hard to read i'd change that if I was you

Done...Thanks I never would have thought of that.

Roadmap 4 Newbies

Paypal Standard Setup

Now I'm not 100% on this, but if I'm using paypal thru my site, I don't need SSL correct? SEO, got it covered.

Roadmap 4 Newbies

Paypal Standard Setup

Now I'm not 100% on this, but if I'm using paypal thru my site, I don't need SSL correct? SEO, got it covered.

SSL is required for pages like login/create account/checkout procedure ... most people dont know what SSL is nor do they know that https means that the page is secure ... but they do know that if there is no padlock in their browser ... NOT to provide any information to that site ... so you will lost a LOT of potential clients ... SSL is pretty cheap these days ... well worth getting :)

your buttons still dont match and they look rather cheap.

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

SSL is required for pages like login/create account/checkout procedure ... most people dont know what SSL is nor do they know that https means that the page is secure ... but they do know that if there is no padlock in their browser ... NOT to provide any information to that site ... so you will lost a LOT of potential clients ... SSL is pretty cheap these days ... well worth getting :)

Got the SSL up. Easy as pie really. Adding PWA today. I didn't think about the registering account part of it. I was only thinking payment wise. Thanks for the input guys. I guess since I'm going live tomorrow, we can lock this thread. Wish us luck.

Roadmap 4 Newbies

Paypal Standard Setup

Your info pages are all still blank. Shipping & Returns, Privacy and Conditions of Use all still have the default "Put here your "whatever page" information"! You probably want to fix that before you go live.

Gretchen

OMG huge oversight!!!

I do feel that you have a few weeks to a months worth of work if you want to make it REALLY nice. You really are stock oscommerce.. however, if you have a brick and mortar store and you just want a way for your existing customers to purchase online, that is fine.. but if you are a web based store looking to pull new customers from your website, you will need a LOT more work. Thats my opinion, but i think others might agree

Thanks guys. All the shipping, privacy notice...etc, will be completed before it goes live. I'm glad that it was noticed, but rest assured it wasn't overlooked on our part. All the write-ups are being done as we speak. We started planning and developing this e-store a few months ago. We weren't in agreement on how it was going to be presented and were looking at different ways to implement it. We were all coming to different ways it needed to be done, so it would remain efficient, and still easy to use for the customer. I stumbled on OSCommerce by accident and liked the way it brought everything together.There are things that need to be done before it goes live, and we exhaustively listed them out.(cartoony graphics, write ups,...etc) All in all, it should be a nice addition for the existing customers as well as new ones. The only thing I haven't been able to find is an add-on that will email the existing customers(when they create an account) when we have specials or to send out the b-day, and holiday e-cards. It's all about residual ya' know. :D

Roadmap 4 Newbies

Paypal Standard Setup

there are addons like that.. I cant remember which one, but they ARE there..

Where's the account login link in the header gone? If I have ordered something from your site and a few days later want to check up on it, I'm going to need that link to get log in.

Also, on the login page you might want to reword the standard text

Do you want to go straight to the checkout process?

Would like like to check out without creating a customer account? Please note that all of our services will not be available to customers that do not wish to create an account. Also, you cannot view the status of your order, and each time you shop with us you will have to re-enter all of your data.

Creating an account is free. If you still wish to continue to checkout please click the checkout button to your right.

As it is the text looks cumbersome to say the least, written by a slightly slower than average 11 year old would be a more apt description. If you have someone writing the info type pages for you already (still not done by the way) you might want to chuck them a few more bucks to go over the rest of the standard language files on the site with a fine tooth comb and get them done properly. Nobody ever seems to do this but it's the sort of stuff that makes sales for you - not gift voucher add-ons and other nonsensical tacked on junk.

You know, I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but your website is dull. It's boring. There's nothing that would keep me there if I clicked on it, I'd just move on.

The header is boring, there's almost no color, depite having almost no images, it's not lightening fast, there's still no policies on the site, there's absolutely nothing to keep me there.

Ho hum. I don't even really want to review it. Moving on.

All the shipping, privacy notice...etc, will be completed before it goes live.

We haven't gone live yet.

I understand why the site can seem boring to some. And if you didn't want to take the time to review it, why did you? The whole purpose of this site is lost to some. It is not the end all solution for this particular business. It is a extra resource for our existing customers, and a small way to bring some new ones. This site is not and will never be our only source of revenue in the coin industry. The coins sell themselves. We do not need flash or javascript banners, nor do we want anything taking away from the coins themselves. Collectors know for example, that a 1878(s) MS63 Morgan Silver Dollar is worth $110 dollars and rising. Ours is $90 and stable. Another example would be an 1880(o) MS63 worth $415 and again rising. We're selling it for $330. That is reason enough for many other coin collectors to keep coming back. If you're not a coin collector or trader, you would have no reason to come to the site in the first place, unless you were new to the business. To answer the question as to why the privacy policy, shipping and returns pages...etc are not filled out as of yet, is because of other projects in the works not related to this particular business. We have other sources of revenue that are active, and cannot stop everything at the drop of a hat for a venue that isn't even live yet. For those of you who gave detailed constructive criticism, we thank you, and appreciate the time you spent. For those of you wanting to be funny, sarcastic, or unprofessional, we can do without your reviews in the future.

Roadmap 4 Newbies

Paypal Standard Setup

Look, you put it on an open forum. Your site has a certain customer base, it's true, but the same basics apply to your web store as it does to all others. My response to the lack of design is nothing. Wait till some of the others hit this thread. If you're having a hard time with mine, you better ask the mod to delete this thread now. I went completely through your site.

I prefaced it with I'm not trying to be mean. I thought that might soften the blow.

You don't have to like my criticism, but my criticism still stands.

And by the way, design doesn't mean flash or javascript. It means DESIGN.

your problem is that as good as you products might be, and as low as they can be priced, people WILL judge your store's reliability on its professional look.. If the site looks like some person did it on their free time just to make some "side cash" then they are NOT going to trust the you even have the product, let alone a REAL rare authentic coin.

That type of business is based on customer loyalty and reliability. The LOOK of your site the first impression. I sometimes by sports memorbilia. I see LOADS of sites that look like just some random person built it using a template, i personally NEVER trust that those people even have an authentic Mickey Mantle 8x10 autographed with a certificate. I usually look for those sites that look more professional because the more time they put into their site, the less i think that they are just trying to make a quick buck, and the MORE I think that they are actually putting time into creating a solid online business.

If you were not concered about design, why post for feedback like that?

You might also want to look at securing your own SSL certificate (costs you bugerall in the grand scheme of things) and not using the default one provided by the hosting company on the server. I know it's secure, you know it's secure, but my grandfather has never heard of "secure32.inmotionhosting.com" but he may well pick up that it's a different domain name to the one your unsecure catalogue content is on and not feel confident about finalising his transaction. He's probably the sort of person you are targetting your coin sales at and not me.

Archived