• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Anyone else tried Google Chrome?

Vger

I tried the Beta version of the Google Chrome Browser today. It has a built-in download manager with the ability to Pause/Resume downloads. At least that's what they say - because I tried a 6Mb download and didn't realise it had completed - kept trying to download it. The download only took 2 seconds, which even on my broadband connection is amazing.

Can't wait to try it on a several Gbs download.

Vger

I quite like it - seems very fast indeed at rendering pages.

I was reading the Google "comic book" on Chrome here - a bit simplistic but a nice overview of why it is different to other browsers and good to see Google going down the open source route (though the cynic in my has to say that they probably did it so they could avoid developing code from scratch by using WebKit).

I downloaded today and I'll being using it all day without problems at all and I like it a lot. It is very easy to use and have great functions. I try IE 8 beta2 and like it too but is like a mix of firefox and IE. If Google ad those functions to the chrome it would be the perfect browser (my opinion).

Two problems that have surfaced with Google Chrome:

1. Despite advertising that it is great for large downloads it appears to have the same bug as IE - it can't handle LARGE downloads (in the Gigabytes). It downloaded a 6 Mb file blisteringly fast, but choked when asked to download a 6 Gb file. It returned a "File too large to stat" error.

2. A friend liked it so much that he made it his "Default" browser, at which point in time his PC slowed to a crawl. Removing it did not remove the problem. So, as this is a Beta version, don't opt to make it your Default Browser.

Vger

another nightmare from point of view of a developer - you now may have another headache when developing website, i have already discover two sites both of which render correctly in ff and ie and are w3c compliant but chrome failed to show the pages correctly ( well, as the way ff and ie do). ideally, there should only be ONE good browser either from point of view of developers and users, unless these guys stop act like political parties - i am always the best you should only vote/use me.

on another note, i am not aware of any problem with ie RE download, i used to download linux dvd image in their GBs using ie (finished in 1 hr or so) and never had any problem. btw i dont link download manager and never use them - if your isp is up to scratch then you dont need any manager.

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

As for the Microsoft download problem it is documented here, on the Microsoft website:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298618

We design for IE 6 and above, Firefox and Safari - and Google advise that if your site renders correctly for Safari 3.1 then it should also render correctly in Google Chrome.

Vger

Their ELUA is a complete privacy nightmare. I will not use an Open Source solution which then claims user rights to any and all data put though it.

Where do they get off dictating that my private information (be it personal or corporate) is available to be used at their discretion? I strongly advise you avoid using this browser until this ELUA has been amended or that someone releases a way to hide this information from google who should never have the right to this information ever, this goes for all of their applications, and is a prime reason I will not use gmail either.

I have a hard time equating the use of my personal information to an Open Source solution, they are only using the Open Source naming and branding it to their own use and not for the betterment of society.

cheers,

Peter McGrath

-----------------------------

See my Profile (click here) for more information and to contact me for professional osCommerce support that includes SEO development, custom development and security implementation

Like it a lot, so far.

Some interesting features, type in bar :-

about:memory

about:stats

about:network

about:histograms

about:dns

about:cache

about:version

about:plugins and about:internets (not what you expect, programmers fun ?)

wonder where or how i got these linux dvd images from as i never realised there is a download problem? and i use ie 99% of time.

glad to hear chrome lines up with safari though, as that means it wont go anywhere near ie.

Ken

ps. it has admitted ELUA is a mistake (what a mistake from GOOgle), and declared

We are working quickly to remove language from Section 11 of the current Google Chrome terms of service. This change will apply retroactively to all users who have downloaded Google Chrome

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

i dont think i could get a linux dvd image from IIS servers, hwich may be the reason why.

Ken

ps. it has admitted ELUA is a mistake (what a mistake from GOOgle), and declared
As with all things Google related, I prefer not to use any of them, the search is ok, but I regularly delete all cookies anyways. The idea that they are removing that section does not diminish the fact that they will still use this browser to track and market their primary product that being Ads and information processing for marketing trends.

I will stick with FF and wait for it to come out with multi-thread processing. At least they are not in the business of data retention and/or ad marketing. I have seen how Google stretches the ELUA and makes things difficult to achieve and then says, but yes, you can opt out if you can figure out how to do so ;)

Thanks, but no thanks.

Peter

Peter McGrath

See my Profile (click here) for more information and to contact me for professional osCommerce support that includes SEO development, custom development and security implementation

i should have made it clear that by quoting what google says does not necessarily mean i believe in 100% in it. that thing has become such a data monster and you can never be sure what it is going to do about the data and they are not charity.

Ken

and for an OIpen Source solution, this sections also goes against the idea of Openess:

10.2 You may not (and you may not permit anyone else to) copy, modify, create a derivative work of, reverse engineer, decompile or otherwise attempt to extract the source code of the Software or any part thereof, unless this is expressly permitted or required by law, or unless you have been specifically told that you may do so by Google, in writing.

Like I said, I will not use a product put out by a company whoes primary purpose is data warehousing and ad sales.

cheers,

Peter McGrath

I will not use a product put out by a company whoes primary purpose is data warehousing and ad sales.

Always look on the bright side of life,

ba dum ba dum ba dum ba dum ba dum.

Vger

Always look on the bright side of life,

I do, and am glad the FF is there, which is brighter then IE ever has been, and is a true Open Source solution not bound by intrusive information gathering, non-fair use of the Open Source idea, and looking to send me more junk advertising.

Thanks, but as soon as they adjust the ELAU, I will refrain from it's use, as the mirco-seconds it renders faster then FF is not much value to me, the idea of multi threading is interesting, but I am sure FF will see it soon as well and well FF has stood the test of security far more then a beta version has (especially since this is their first try at a browser).

cheers,

Peter McGrath

I tried the Beta version of the Google Chrome Browser today. It has a built-in download manager with the ability to Pause/Resume downloads. At least that's what they say - because I tried a 6Mb download and didn't realise it had completed - kept trying to download it. The download only took 2 seconds, which even on my broadband connection is amazing.

Can't wait to try it on a several Gbs download.

Vger

It received bad press in Oz, so I didn't bother with it.

Anyone who has followed the Google story would have seen that it was only a matter of time before they brought out a Browser.

Microsoft has made several attempts to put a dent in Google's business model, including a complete revamp of MSN Search to compete against Google Search (failed), and then trying to buy up Yahoo to get their advertising programme and revenue (failed).

It's only a matter of time before Google bring out an operating system to challenge Microsoft.

As for using a Browser as an advertising tool - well Opera thought of that years before Google did.

Vger

As for using a Browser as an advertising tool - well Opera thought of that years before Google did.
This is most likely true, and I do not use it either. Companies using the Internet to snoop (deep packet snooping from ISPs) are not far from what google in now doing with the browser in getting more information from users. This really is an intrusion into personal information that they are getting for free, and which they should have to pay for, but now do not rather they sell it to make additional profits from our privacy.

It's only a matter of time before Google bring out an operating system to challenge Microsoft.
All I can say to this is good luck, Linux is far more supported and has a hard time making inroads there...

Anyone who has followed the Google story would have seen that it was only a matter of time before they brought out a Browser.
Because they have done so, does not make it a browser designed for browsing only, rather is an extension of their marketing tools...and well, I for one opt out of this idea. I have seen many changes on the Internet over the 20 plus yrs I have been online, from the introduction of Netscape 1.0 to many other things, and well, I prefer to keep as much of my data private as possible, and if they want it they can pay me to use it ;)

cheers,

Peter McGrath

I have deleted Chrome, in line with the comments above I do not trust it not to "data collect" in fact I'm sure it will (as I'll explain in a moment.)

Also however I do not trust in FF as a competitior either as they are funded by Google (I understand) and I'm sure plenty of collaboration has gone on in the development of Chrome.

Regarding my above point, I'm a quite heavy adwords advertiser and some time ago I noticed that my ads were not appearing where they are showing on other peoples computers.

On contacting them they gave me a new url to go to where my listings wouldn't be "doctored" (however you cannot click on links) basically I know it is a part of their click fraud prevention but I still view it that they have hacked, or if that is too strong a term then "interfered with" my pc/internet search (or at best they are doctoring by IP, unlikely as mine is dynamic) in order to have me view what they want me to view.

Also however I do not trust in FF as a competitor either as they are funded by Google (I understand) and I'm sure plenty of collaboration has gone on in the development of Chrome.
Most of this funding is for the prominent displaying of the search field in the browser at the top. Google has no problems paying for this as it is almost similar in their buying the advertising space in the header at myspace.com. They may have some say, but I would think people who look into true Open Source projects would find this tracking and alarms would be raised on it.

But since I have never gone into the FF code base, would be hard to say one way or another, but given FF is supported by many international conglomerate companies, I would find it hard to believe google was able to slip that in ;)

cheers,

Peter McGrath

• 1 month later...

The "Paranoid Brigade" already use proxy services for browsing the Internet anyway.

What we notice is the rapid increase in the number of people who visit our own website and use Chrome as their Browser. With Firefox that was a gradual increase, but with Chrome it's rocketing. I guess this is down to the fact that most people like Google very much (apart from Bill Gates et al) and so they jumped straight in as soon as Google brought out a browser.

But let's remember one important fact - it's a Beta version and still has problems to be ironed out.

Vger

Proxys are not the problem regarding affiliate programs at all.

Affiliate programs are mostly based on cookies, as we already know.

When you close your browser after visiting site via proxy, your fresh cookie remain intact.

That's exactly what is not the case with Chrome Incognito mode where cookies are lost

after visitor abandons that window and moves along. So, if you are not getting immediate buyer

with your site, you can forget about your customers conversion plan, because your cookie won't live that long.

Considering of fact that visitors mostly became our customers only after a few visits

i believe some of us have a big issue to solve.

And no, that cookie "option" is not only a bug in beta version.

Not in Google Incognito mode i am afraid...

Archived