• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Authorize Net install question

Xtreme Graphics

Searched for my answer but did not see it. I see that there have been some changes to the AIM Module

for Authorize.net. Have these changes been included in current version of OS Commerce ?

I downloaded and installed it just a couple of days ago . Version 2.2 RC2

or do i need to install it and then make changes to it ?

Can anyone point me to a simple summary of the differences between the AIM Module and the Sim Module ?

Thanks in advance B)

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I'm pretty new to using osCommerce and Authorize.net. I'm helping a friend of mine set up her jewelry business website. From what I found in the Authorize.net help section:

"SIM is an ideal integration solution because merchants are not required to collect, transmit or store sensitive cardholder information to process transactions. Additionally, SIM does not require merchants to purchase and install a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) digital certificate. This removes the complexity of securely handling and storing cardholder information, simplifying compliance with the Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Standard."

versus AIM:

"AIM is an ideal integration solution because it allows merchants the highest degree of customization and control over their customers’ checkout experience. [...]

AIM involves the transmission of sensitive cardholder data via the merchant’s Web server. As such, the merchant is required to store cardholder information securely and in accordance with the Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Standard. For more information about PCI and other industry standard processing practices, please see the Developer Security Best Practices White Paper at http://www.authorize.net/files/developerbestpractices.pdf for more information.

If the merchant needs a solution that handles the collection, transmission and storage of cardholder data, they should use the Server Implementation Method (SIM). For more information about SIM, please see the SIM Developer Guide at http://developer.authorize.net/guides/SIM/default.htm."

So to sum up, AIM requires you to have an SSL certificate (usually bought through your webhost) to store customer credit card info, but you can completely customize the design of the payment process. With SIM, you don't need an SSL certificate, but you will have to use Authorize.net's payment form.

I hope that helps-- Authorize.net's documentation seems a little all over the place.