• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How do I get OSC to adjust the shipping rate/option based upon different item sizes?

nedragdnuos

Hi all!

I am wondering if anyone can help me with my shipping problem.

My store is setup with diferent sized items, some can fit into letters, and some items require small boxes and some require bigger boxes.

My dilema is this, how do I set up the shipping module so that if a person buys a small item that fits into the letter it goes out at one rate/option, then lets say they wish to now add a bigger item that will no longer fit into the letter but requires a box, and another item that requires a bigger box etc. (weight is not an issue it is size!)

I would like to know how to set this type of system up where the shipping module knows when to upgrade the shipping type/rate/option based on size of the product.

Just to clarify, multiple items bought that are letter items will still go into letters and will not require boxes. The setting up of this type of option is very perplexing as I do not wish to overcharge my customers on the shipping, and if something can go into a letter then great, but if the letter item

and the bigger item(s) are purchased together I need the shipping to work out that it will require a bigger box (or bigger box again) and therefore charge the correct shipping rate/option.

I have considered using a flat rate, but the person who buys the letter item will then lose out.

I am using the Australia Post shipping module and it works fine during my testing for my items that use the one sized box, but I have no idea what to do with the smaller items.

I really hope that this makes sense and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards!