• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

EasyPopulate 2.4, now with Froogle support!

wasson65

I am having problems with Excel cutting off my descriptions on some of the records. Not sure why?

Here is some info I found at

http://support.crystaldecisions.com/kbase/c2000454.asp

Microsoft Excel 2000

--------------------------------------------

? Worksheet size: 65,536 rows by 256 columns

? Column Width: 255 characters

? Length of cell contents (text): 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar.

? Maximum length of cell contents (text): 255 chacters

I have Excel2000 (9.0.2720) and I am sure it is the culprit now. Some of the fields display just fine in the formula bar that are much longer than the one that gets cut off. I have no elaborate HTML in it other than <p> and an occasional break here and there. Some have simple paragraph.

When I import into Excel, I can change the way it handles the fields. If I select "General" the fields get cut off in the description. If I select "text" it imports fine, except Excel then displays a row of ######### instead of the description. It does display fine in the formula bar. If I export this to the tab-delimited file, the descriptions are now ####### only and no text..

Arrrgghhhhh! Anyone know of a shareware spreadsheet that WORKS?

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Excel2000 (9.0.2720) and I am sure it is the culprit now. Some of the fields display just fine in the formula bar that are much longer than the one that gets cut off. I have no elaborate HTML in it other than <p> and an occasional break here and there. Some have simple paragraph.

When I import into Excel, I can change the way it handles the fields. If I select "General" the fields get cut off in the description. If I select "text" it imports fine, except Excel then displays a row of ######### instead of the description. It does display fine in the formula bar. If I export this to the tab-delimited file, the descriptions are now ####### only and no text..

I just tested OpenOffice, and it works fine with large descriptions - I just tested 500 chars, and it comes in fine.

It's totally Free, reads and writes Excel and Word docs without much trouble, and it's GPL'd, just like OSC, so you know it's good! It's cross platform (Linux/Windows/Mac), and multi-language as well.

www.openoffice.org

Check it out.

I just tested OpenOffice, and it works fine with large descriptions - I just tested 500 chars, and it comes in fine.

It's totally Free, reads and writes Excel and Word docs without much trouble, and it's GPL'd, just like OSC, so you know it's good! It's cross platform (Linux/Windows/Mac), and multi-language as well.

www.openoffice.org

Check it out.

OUTSTANDING!

Tim, many thanks!

The sunman will throw some sunshine your way!

I received email from froogle regarding my first feed:

We have received your datafeed file and it is formatted properly.  There

are, however, a few issues that we need your assistance with:

1)  Please provide a deeper levels for the category.  For example, on the

following page -

http://www.knlbargains.com/catalog/product...1452&language=1

- can you include the category as:

category  Giftware > Collectibles > Cultures and Groups > African-American

instead of:

category Giftware.

This will help categorize your products properly.

Is there anyway of doing this?

Keith

What the hell was I thinkin'?

I received email from froogle regarding my first feed:

We have received your datafeed file and it is formatted properly.  There

are, however, a few issues that we need your assistance with:

1)  Please provide a deeper levels for the category.  For example, on the

following page -

category  Giftware > Collectibles > Cultures and Groups > African-American

instead of:

category Giftware.

Is there anyway of doing this?

The "only shows top level category" was a bug with the first 2.4 release. It's fixed in the 2.41beta5 (along with a bunch of other little bugs) that's available in the contribs.

The good news is that Froogle has now accepted a feed from OSC and EP, and that makes me happy.

Tim

I'm using the big images contribution that lets you have a thumbnail and a big image. When I download the froogle file, the image url is the thumb and google prefers a bigger image. I've fixed the part where products are uploaded but I can't get the froogle feed to insert the url of the big pic. Any ideas?

Keith

Keith,

Your last question caught my eye. I don't have the answer, but am also using bimage and am preparing to submit to froogle. I assumed, since froogle only shows thumbs on their site, that is what they would want. Where did you come by the info that they want bigger pics?

... if you want to REALLY see something that doesn't set up right out of the box without some tweaking,

try being a Foster Parent!

mugitty-

I received an email from froogle after I submitted my first feed:

1) Please provide a deeper levels for the category. For example, on the

following page -

category Giftware > Collectibles > Cultures and Groups > African-American

instead of:

category Giftware.

2) If possible can you include the larger version of the images on your

site - http://www.knlbargains.com/catalog/images/28451.jpg instead of

http://www.knlbargains.com/catalog/images/s28451.jpg.

I name my big images with the model # such as 28451 and for the corresponding thumb, I just put the s prefix on it. I've tried to get EP to download the url for the big images, but so far, no luck. As you can see from the email I received, froogle doesn't "require" a bigger image, the just seem to prfer oe.

Keith

I'm using the big images contribution that lets you have a thumbnail and a big image. When I download the froogle file, the image url is the thumb and google prefers a bigger image. I've fixed the part where products are uploaded but I can't get the froogle feed to insert the url of the big pic. Any ideas?

What you should do is go to a page on your site that shows the big pic you want froogle to get. Do a view source, and see what the path to that image is. Take that info and go into easypopulate, and look at the froogle configuration variables and modify the image path so that the froogle output will match the url for the image.

Keith;

I've amended EP so that it up and down loads a second image field already. It may take me a couple of days to get to it, but I'll see what I can come up with for moving bigger images to floogle.

Stuart

... if you want to REALLY see something that doesn't set up right out of the box without some tweaking,

Keith;

I've amended EP so that it up and down loads a second image field already. It may take me a couple of days to get to it, but I'll see what I can come up with for moving bigger images to floogle.

Stuart

When you feel like the code is working the way you want it, can you send it to me? I'll include it in the next version of EP.

Tim

Tim:

OK, will do as soon as I figure it out.

Keith:

I noticed that all of the images at froogle seem to be 90x90 pixels. What size were the small images you were submitting to them?

Tim: I've got mine where it uploads and downloads the second image when adding products to the store. I just can't get the image url of the big image when I download the froogle file.

v_products_model v_products_image v_products_bimage v_products_name_1 v_products_description_1 v_products_head_title_tag_1 v_products_head_desc_tag_1 v_products_head_keywords_1 v_products_price v_products_weight v_date_avail v_date_added v_products_quantity v_manufacturers_name v_categories_name_1 v_categories_name_2 v_categories_name_3 v_categories_name_4 v_categories_name_5 v_categories_name_6 v_categories_name_7 v_tax_class_title v_status EOREOR

The v_products_bimage is for the big photo.

muggity: Most of my thumbs which get sent to froogle are 80 x 80. I'm just going to leave it as is. Froogle doesn't insist on bigger pics, they just asked if I could provide them. I can't figure out how to make EP download them because the big photo involves using a java script pop-up window.

Keith

froogle just notified me that my urls are not showing products. for instance

http://www.knlbargains.com/catalog/product...roducts_id=1465

is correct, but when I download a froogle file using EP it looks like this

http://www.knlbargains.com/catalog/product...roducts_id/1465

Keith

Found the problem. In easypopulate.php this

$row['v_products_url_' . $lid] = $froogle_product_info_path . '/products_id/' . $row['v_products_id'];

needs changed to this

$row['v_products_url_' . $lid] = $froogle_product_info_path . '?products_id=' . $row['v_products_id'];

Keith

froogle just notified me that my urls are not showing products. for instance  

http://www.knlbargains.com/catalog/product...roducts_id=1465

is correct, but when I download a froogle file using EP it looks like this

http://www.knlbargains.com/catalog/product...roducts_id/1465

There is a configuration variable $froogle_SEF_urls in EP to take care of this. If you run the latest version, you can set this in the froogle config variables area, and no code change is needed.

Tim

Tim, Keith: this will be kinda lengthy...

First, for the record, I have _bimage set up but I don't use popups on the item pages. I have the thumb appear in the various boxes (what's new, specials, features, etc.) but the product_info pages show only the big image. I have started setting my thumbs as 90x90 instead of 80x80 based on the feedback from Keith.

Here are the changes I've made to the stock EP (other than configuration settings). This allows me to successfully upload large and small images via EP:

after line 269

'v_products_image',

add:

'v_products_bimage',

after line 818

'v_products_image'  => $iii++,

add:

'v_products_bimage'  => $iii++,

after line 864

p.products_image as v_products_image,

add:

p.products_bimage as v_products_bimage,

after line 1005

add:

after line 1100

add:

after line 1467

products_image,

add:

products_bimage,

after line 1480

"' . $v_products_image . '", "'

add:

. $v_products_bimage . '", "'

after line 1504

'" ,products_image="'.$v_products_image.

add:

'" ,products_bimage="'.$v_products_bimage.

As to getting froogle output to pick up the big images instead of the small ones, it seems that there should be a relatively straightforward modification that can be made so the froogle portion of the EP code looks for 'bimage' instead of 'image' wherever appropriate. Sorry, guys, I haven't sorted that part of it out yet.

I already modified the code to upload and download products with the bimage, I just can't get the froogle file to have the bimage when it downloads. I've tried changing the froogle variables to bimage, but this just gives a blank. My photos are setup to show the thumb unless you click on the "click to enlarge" this is where the java pop-up comes in.

Keith

Tim - thanks for another excellent upgrade! This makes my life so much easier.

YGPP.

~Jason

could you explain why

and

what exactly is froogle support supposed to be please??

Why what ?

Froogle support enables me to take an extract of my database, all ready to upload to froogle in .txt tab delimited format.

Don't know what froogle is ? check it out at http://www.froogle.com

Hello,

I have the latest version of EP installed.

Froogle sent me this regarding my feed:

* Remove the quotation marks in the Name and Description fields

The categories in the data feed need to be separated by a ">" plus a

space on each side, thusly " > "

An example of a correct category field is:

Home & Garden > Kitchen > Appliances

Is there anyway for me to get the categories as they have requested?

Also, I have tried everything to get rid of quotes in my name and description field and I can't. I followed the directions to the letter.