• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Easily Add New Pages

jhilgeman

Hello.

I used Burts method to add pages and used an image as linc to the new page.

Like this:

<a href="<?=tep_href_link('design.php?cPath=13')?>"><?=tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES.'m24.jpg')?></a>

I added the new pagefile to all language folders.

Here´s the problem:

When switshing to another language (by clicking on a flag) and then clicking the link-image the page appears but in the defalt language.

When clicking the flag while the page is loaded in the defalt language it changes to the right language.

In other words. The link opens the new page in defalt language no matter what language you have preselected, but reloading the page by clicking another flag opens the new page in the right language.

Do I at all make any sence? :blush:

Sincerely

Ronny

May life be good to you...

Sincerely, Ronny

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello again.

Regarding the previous post.

I found out that when clicking the linc to the new page it actually reloads everything to default language.

Not just the new page.

Sincerely, Ronny

The instructions Burt provided are for adding a page that works with the English language. For a different language, you have to add anther file to the other languages directory, say german. That has to be done for each language.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

As I explained in my first post I did that and it works.

It´s just when I click the link to the page the site goes back to default language.

Ronny

Sincerely, Ronny

I am a newbie at this I now I have a serious problem (at least to me). I followed a previous post on this group about adding a link and it did not work. Now I cannot access my webpage.

I was trying to add a link using my english.php.

// information box text in includes/boxes/information.php

define('BOX_HEADING_INFORMATION', 'Information');

define('BOX_INFORMATION_ABOUTUS', 'About Us');

define('BOX_INFORMATION_NEWS', 'News Bulletin');

define('BOX_INFORMATION_FORUM', 'Forums / Message Board');

I added "define('BOX_HEADING_DIRECTIONS','directions');" between "define('BOX_INFORMATION_ABOUTUS', 'About Us');" and "define('BOX_INFORMATION_NEWS', 'News Bulletin');". It did not work so I deleted the file I added and now when I try to access my webpage I get the following error:

"Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/thegu5/public_html/includes/languages/english.php on line 158"

HELP!!!

Take a look at the links in the includes/information.php file. Copy the code for one of the links there and change the relevant parts to refer to your new page.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Take a look at the links in the includes/information.php file. Copy the code for one of the links there and change the relevant parts to refer to your new page.

Jack

OK changed it and now I have my "directions" link. But it goes to a dead page. I added a page as this forum thread has stated (I believe it was one the 2nd posting) and all seemed well... Is there anything else I am leaving out???????

I've no way of knowing without seeing the code.

Jack

Oops.. figured it out.. I forgot to change something in application_top.php

On a note.. I really appreciate what you have doen for me thus far. This is actually a pretty helpful forum!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I was able to add a pgae according to the above instruction, it works great, however, how do I display products from only one category on each new page that I create?

For example, this is a music shop, if I have a page called strings.php when that page opens I'd like it to automatically display a listing of strings by default.

Thank You in advance.

The easiest way is to create a category named strings and let the code already in place handle it for you. But if you want your own page with that information, then you will have to add the code to read the database and pull that information in. The code to do that is in the index.php file so you can just copy that part of it.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

If you have edited the box already, why can't you edit the links file? Also, why not just install the Links Manager contribution instead of re-inventing the wheel?

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

If you have edited the box already, why can't you edit the links file? Also, why not just install the Links Manager contribution instead of re-inventing the wheel?

Jack

I don't really think I am trying to re-invent the wheel. I would simply like to know how I can edit the file. I don't know why I can't, and since it's a php file, I can't exactly do it in Front Page or anything. This is what I really need the help with.

And, after looking at the Links Manager contribution, I don't think that's the solution for me. I would like to add a few links, not set up an entire database. It is too complicated for my very simplistic needs.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give on why I can't edit the page...

In an earlier post you said you followed the changes described. That would have invovled editing a file. That's where my confusion is coming in at. If you could edit it before, why not now. I'm just asking so I can understand what it is that you need.

But assuming you don't know how to edit a file, here is what you need to do.

- Download a php editor. There are many nice ones that are free. I suggest HTML_Kit but everyone else on the forum will have a different opinion (even if they are wrong. ;) ).

- Download your file from your server to your computer. Make a backup of the file (very important step). If you don't have an ftp program, there are many free ones as above. I recommend FileZilla.

- Open it in the editor and change something. Then save the file.

- Upload the file to your server.

- Refersh your site in a browser to see your changes.

Please let me know what step you are getting stuck on so it will be easier to talk you through the finer points.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

To help out a bit with editing. I use UltraEdit. It is a way cool editor that is specifically designed for programmers. Meaning it has support and high lighting capabilities for C, C++, PHP, Perl, HTML and more.

The main feature I like is the high lighting of commands based on what file extension is being used and if for example if you place your cursor on a closing bracket it will show you which open bracket it is closing.

Anywho, if you are looking for a better editor, then this is what I suggest.

Peace

i am still kinda lost. I am trying to ass a new page that shows what clothing companies i carry. I use sts, so i changed the template thing into my table setup, and i did that filename_mens.php in it thing. I added a new define in filenames.php, i uploaded application_top, and i uploaded english/mens.php (but i am kinda lost on tht one). For the english/newfilename.php file is that the file you add your info on? If so i did that too... After all that i get this error...

Warning: main(includes/languages/english/Mens.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/bleubayc/public_html/osc/mens.php on line 15

Warning: main(includes/languages/english/Mens.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/bleubayc/public_html/osc/mens.php on line 15

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'includes/languages/english/Mens.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/bleubayc/public_html/osc/mens.php on line 15

it says that there is no file, but there is... it is weirddddd :-/ this is confusing me ahhh... please help

You can't use mens and Mens interchangeably on a Linux server. That might be your problem.

Jack

thank you jack... that worked

now it is looking all weird cuz of sts instead of showing the actual boxes it shows the text $cartbox#:-/... www.bleubayclothing.com/osc

then click on mens clothing

Also for the database error i get... is that asking for mysql databse?

I don't use STS so I can't help you with that. You should ask STS questions in the STS support thread since they are more likely to get answered there.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I am trying to add an iframe into my new oscommerce page so that my Gallery page can show up but I dont know how to insert the code into it. In an HTML page I would just put

<iframe src="http://grunionfabrication.com/Gallery/album03" width="665" height="590" frameborder="3" name="Gallery"></iframe>

</p>

into it but with php I am lost. Any help would be great!

• 5 weeks later...
Your way is good, but better (IMO):

Download the following files:

catalog/conditions.php

catalog/includes/languages/english/conditions.php

Save them (on your Hard Drive as):

catalog/template.php

catalog/includes/languages/english/template.php

When you want a new page:

Open catalog/template.php (on your HD) and change the following:

require(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $language . '/' . FILENAME_CONDITIONS);
 $breadcrumb->add(NAVBAR_TITLE, tep_href_link(FILENAME_CONDITIONS, '', 'NONSSL'));

To:

require(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $language . '/' . FILENAME_NEW_PAGE);
 $breadcrumb->add(NAVBAR_TITLE, tep_href_link(FILENAME_NEW_PAGE, '', 'NONSSL'));

where NEW_PAGE is the name of your new page.

eg if you wanted a page called "about_us.php" the code would be:

require(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $language . '/' . FILENAME_ABOUT_US);
 $breadcrumb->add(NAVBAR_TITLE, tep_href_link(FILENAME_ABOUT_US, '', 'NONSSL'));

Save and Upload both:

catalog/template.php

to their respective places on the live server, and then rename them BOTH to whatever, in the example: about_us.php

Set CHMOD 777 on your newly created and renamed:

catalog/includes/languages/english/about_us.php

Download, and open up application_top.php and add the following:

// New page about_us.php

define('FILENAME_ABOUT_US', 'about_us.php');

Save and upload includes/application_top.php

Now go Admin > Tools > Define Languages > about_us.php

Done. It sounds complicated but once you get the hang of it, it takes no longer than 2 minutes. It maintains the proper Osc structure.

But where in what line in includes/application_top.php

do you add // New page about_us.php

In a sacred manner I live, in heaven I gaze, in a sacred manner I live my horses are many.

Your way is good, but better (IMO):

Download the following files:

catalog/conditions.php

catalog/includes/languages/english/conditions.php

Save them (on your Hard Drive as):

catalog/template.php

When you want a new page:

Open catalog/template.php (on your HD) and change the following:

require(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $language . '/' . FILENAME_CONDITIONS);
 $breadcrumb->add(NAVBAR_TITLE, tep_href_link(FILENAME_CONDITIONS, '', 'NONSSL'));

To:

require(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $language . '/' . FILENAME_NEW_PAGE);
 $breadcrumb->add(NAVBAR_TITLE, tep_href_link(FILENAME_NEW_PAGE, '', 'NONSSL'));

where NEW_PAGE is the name of your new page.

eg if you wanted a page called "about_us.php" the code would be:

require(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $language . '/' . FILENAME_ABOUT_US);
 $breadcrumb->add(NAVBAR_TITLE, tep_href_link(FILENAME_ABOUT_US, '', 'NONSSL'));

Save and Upload both:

catalog/template.php

to their respective places on the live server, and then rename them BOTH to whatever, in the example: about_us.php

Set CHMOD 777 on your newly created and renamed:

catalog/includes/languages/english/about_us.php

Download, and open up application_top.php and add the following:

// New page about_us.php

Save and upload includes/application_top.php

Now go Admin > Tools > Define Languages > about_us.php

Done. It sounds complicated but once you get the hang of it, it takes no longer than 2 minutes. It maintains the proper Osc structure.

In a sacred manner I live, in heaven I gaze, in a sacred manner I live my horses are many.

Archived