• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How did they do this ? Related products boxes

Ramesh

Saw a site last night which had a related products box underneath the product listing. Cannot remember the site ;-)

Is there a contribution that does this ?

OSC Store selling clothing

in the Shoes section , we would get a listing underneath ->

* Related Products: *

Shoe Polish

Shoe Trees

Spare Laces

Socks

So we would in effect link one category to another.

That way a quick click and your in a section of interest.

Rather than an individual product which may sell out or be delated from the store.

Any takers ?

Special Effects / 3d + Flash

that sounds like the cross sell module, can't remember exactly what it's called (possibly cross sell module) but it is somewhere in the contributions section

cheers

barry

It looks to me like you have to manually set up the products that you would like to relate. Is there anything available that will allow this same end result to come automatically?

When a store consists of hundreds of products, having to manually setup the products that will relate is a HUGE project.

Thanks for the insight.

-Chris

Chris Sullivan

No there is nothing like this.

But if there was there would still have to be some manual work anyway.

OSC would not be able to decide what should be linked and what should not, espcially if you have hundreds of products.

CC.

Yeh it is still there, but it onyl tells you what 'others bought'

It doesnt give you control over what actually shows in that box.

Which is exactly why Cross Sell was created, becos it DOES give you the option to control the products shown there.

So in a way blueline already has what he asked for.

But you cant control it at all.

Generally what shows in 'also bought' is related, but then sometimes it will be something totally unrelated. That is why I saw the benefit in the Cross Sell mod.

Maybe I'm just a control Freak!! :shock:

:lol:

CC.

Ah, yes I understand now. I've not used the X-sell mod as I don't like using anything that causes the Shop Owner or Admin *any* extra work.

I'm lazy when it comes to stuff like that... ;) 8) :lol:

Burt... You.... Lazy...!!

No one could accuse you of that dude!

:wink:

Cross Sell is a good hack for those that like the Power!!

And of course the extra work that comes with it!

But hey... I'm married, I'm used to the extra hassles in life! :lol: :lol:

CC.

P.S. - Dont tell my wife I just said that or I'm Dead! :shocked:

Good feedback,

I was not looking to cross sell products (that would be a nightmare for anything over 16 products ).

I was looking to promote a catagory when viewing another.

This makes sense , as stores may have many products.

But generally the catagories , or folders into which you place a product are far fewer. My local test shop has 100 products and 7 catagories.

Why 7 ? Well , on average the human mind can handle a list of seven with ease. Any more and things can look cluttered !

So If I was buying a mountain bike , I would see a link to the

helmets , lights and locks (esp. if you're in London...oh dear I am ;-).

Some one looking at Tyres would see a link to inner tubes.

Or for a computer store..

In the graphics (VGA) card section you see a link to monitors.

In the Sound card section, you see a link to Speakers.

In the motherboard section, you see a link to processors (CPUs) and cases.

e.t.c,

Regards

Special Effects / 3d + Flash

I see where your coming from although I dont entirely agree.

It takes approximately 15 or 16 pieces of equipment to build a PC.

What I dont want a customer to do is click through 4 or 5 different pages just to get to a list of CPU's.

So this is why I link the actual products, and have about 15 categories down my list.

It depends on how cluttered you make the list as to how hard it is to navigate.

Do it alphabetically and no one can go wrong.

CC.

CC,

Hey. I see what you mean. I guess I was just spacing. Only in an ideal world would the software determine what products go well with each other. Don't know what I was thinking. I think that the thought of having to manually setup relations between 1000+ products is such a nightmare that it just didn't register.

-Chris

Chris Sullivan

Hey. I see what you mean. I guess I was just spacing. Only in an ideal world would the software determine what products go well with each other. Don't know what I was thinking. I think that the thought of having to manually setup relations between 1000+ products is such a nightmare that it just didn't register.

:lol:

You are still very correct!

I would not want the task of linking 1000+ products together either. :shock:

But there is a saving factor in cross sell mod.

If you dont have a cross sell product on that particular product, it removes the Related Products box, and puts the 'also bought' box in instead!

'If' / 'Else' stlyee.

So you could actually have the best of both worlds.

CC.

Just a thought. Not sure if this is something that I would want to use or not, and not sure if it would even work, but....

Is there a way that you can create a new field in the DB under the products table, that would create a relationship between products...

Such as a 'family' field. For every product that you want to show as "Customers also bought..." you pick a random selection of 3 or 4 products from family 'a'? And then, for a product from family 'b' your "Customers also bought..." would pull 3 or 4 random products from family 'b'?

I am still learning PHP, but this sounds like a good first "REAL" project. CC, would this be a real hard thing to do? If not, I will work on creating the mod, and contributing it.

Thanks,

-Chris

Chris Sullivan

Hi Chris

We did exactly the 'family field' on our existing website (non osC-website), in order to display recommended alternative products.

It works well with 250+ products.

For our new osC-website, I am planning on modifying the cross-sell module to support 'family field'. If you or anyone else started out with this, please advise me. Then I can help finishing this mod. :D

Best regards

Jakob

Best regards

Jakob Høy Biegel

-----------------------------------

Shopeon.com - Automate your webshop

Archived