• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Authorize.net AIM suddenly stopped working

madinchina

Hello all,

I'm currently helping a client with his OSC-based store. About a week ago, the site suddenly stopped accepting credit cards via Authorize.net AIM (the store's only payment option). The merchant has been taking orders and processing credit cards through a.net for at least a couple of years now, so I've been trying to figure out what happened to make it die so abruptly.

When I make my way through the order process (with either a real CC or a test number), I'll enter all the required details and make it through checkout_shipping.php, checkout_payment.php, and checkout_payment.php without a hitch. Then, once I click "Confirm Order," the site dumps me back to checkout_payment.php with this message in the URL (not anywhere on the page itself)

https://clientdomain.com/checkout_payment.php?error_message=%20-%20Your+credit+card+
could+not+be+authorized+for+this+reason.+Please+correct+any+information+and+try+
again+or+
contact+us+for+further+assistance.&osCsid=652496ee25174654ce40f6390a6ebdcd

"- Your credit card could not be authorized for this reason. Please correct any information and try again or contact us for further assistance." (kinda looks like there should be something more descriptive before that hyphen.

At this point obviously, a.net shows no indication of any new orders or anything at all for that matter.

The a.net AIM module in the OSC backend is set up exactly as it's always been. I don't have personal access to the client's authorize.net merchant account "control panel," so I have to ask him to check and change settings and such. I've updated the AIM module to the latest version from here: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4091 and tried a new transaction key, but no luck still.

The server is running osCommerce 2.2-MS2, cURL is compiled in PHP, and everything else seems to check out.

I tried switching over to the SIM module as well, but I got kicked back to the same page again, this time with https://secure.authorize.net/gateway/transact.dll as the URL and an error of "There has been an error processing your credit card. Please try again."

The only other info that I can think of that may be relevant was that when I was logging in to the site hosting account's (siteground) cPanel for the first time to troubleshoot, Firefox 3 gave me a

Secure Connection Failed
https://[client's domain] uses an invalid security certificate. 

The certificate is not trusted because it is self signed. 
The certificate is only valid for serv01.siteground141.com 
(Error code: sec_error_untrusted_issuer)

I had to create an exception in FF to allow myself through to cPanel, but I'm not sure if any of that would be causing this problem (I'm not too familiar with shared SSL, or even if that's what this is).

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

Hi,

I was curious if you had solved your problem with Authorize.net. I'm currently having the same problem with my shop. The last successful credit card went through around July 14th and since then its been bouncing back everything as declined but if I log into the Authorize.net control panel there is no record of the transaction at all (where there should be a declined card under unsettled transactions). I hadn't changed anything with my shop or installed any new mods around that time, so I was also at a loss as to why it would just suddenly stop working.

I also tried getting a new transaction key and reinstalling the mod.

After that didn't work, I called Authorize.net to see if anything had changed on their end, but they didn't have any idea what the problem might be and told me to call my credit card processor. I'm still waiting on a call back from them, but I can't really think of anything that it could be with the credit card processing company.

I also use Siteground and I've always gotten that same CPanel security certificate error. I didn't think to check and see if Siteground may have changed something that could be causing the problem, but I'll look into that today since we both use the same hosting and it stopped working at the same time.

But if you've managed to fix this, I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks

I also use Siteground and I've always gotten that same CPanel security certificate error. I didn't think to check and see if Siteground may have changed something that could be causing the problem, but I'll look into that today since we both use the same hosting and it stopped working at the same time.

I'm definitely suspecting that it has something to do with Siteground's hosting now (maybe not necessarily SSL, but something in their server config). Let me know what you hear from them, and if I can, I'll give them a call too and see if they give me a similar answer.

I was able to get my client's shop running again by switching over to the Authorize.net SIM module (no CVV code) and messing around with it a bit more until it worked. Turns out SIM started working correctly, but I was forgetting to include the middle initial in my name for the credit card input screen... :blush: However, I still need to get AIM running correctly again, because the client needs to be assured that his site is using the best credit card security possible.

Anyway, try switching over to SIM and let me know it works for you. Don't forget to set your relay and receipt URLs in your Authorize.net account as follows:

Receipt URL: https://yourdomain.com/cataloglocation/chec...onfirmation.php

Relay Response URL: https://yourdomain.com/cataloglocation/checkout_process.php

Sorry about the delay in replying, I've been going back and forth with Siteground for the last week or so trying to get this worked out. So far it still isn't fixed, but they're working on it. They don't have a phone number for tech support, you just have to use their helpdesk online and send in a ticket.

They have upgraded my account to PHP 5.1, checked to make sure it wasn't a firewall issue, and debugged the curl operations but still no go. Hopefully soon they'll get it figured out.

Have you guys checked to make sure it's not something simple like the API URL in the payment module file? If you're using an older install this may be the reason for a sudden loss of service. I uploaded a full package to the contribution's page with the changes that work for me. In the one I initially downloaded, the URLs for test and live APIs were reversed, causing an error message.

Edited by cdi-buy.com

• 3 weeks later...
When I make my way through the order process (with either a real CC or a test number), I'll enter all the required details and make it through checkout_shipping.php, checkout_payment.php, and checkout_payment.php without a hitch. Then, once I click "Confirm Order," the site dumps me back to checkout_payment.php with this message in the URL (not anywhere on the page itself)

https://clientdomain.com/checkout_payment.php?error_message=%20-%20Your+credit+card+
could+not+be+authorized+for+this+reason.+Please+correct+any+information+and+try+
again+or+
contact+us+for+further+assistance.&osCsid=652496ee25174654ce40f6390a6ebdcd

"- Your credit card could not be authorized for this reason. Please correct any information and try again or contact us for further assistance."

We discovered the same problem, suddenly nobody was using our most popular payment module.

Thanks to you folks on this thread & this whole forum for saving us some time.

Contacted siteground, issue resolved in a matter of 30 minutes.

Seems while doing some security upgrades a cURL file was misplaced.

As always, open source rocks!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm hosted on hostgator and having the same exact issue...what was the solution?

Same problem here: hosted on hostgator and Authorize.net AIM suddenly stopped working. Did you find a solution?

Does anyone know how to fix this?

I was getting an error because of a special character in the product name of the product that was being bought. Error was "checkout_payment.php?payment_error=authorizenet_cc_aim&error=general"

It was never caught because the product hasn't been purchased before. Removing special character allowed the credit card to be processed correctly.

Based on distantly related topics, the first thing to do is to modify authorize.net module to display the error message and not simply "general" error if the case does not match that in a small list. I have the same problem and it now says "payment_error=authorizenet_cc_aim&error= Credit card number is required." in the address bar instead of error=general. Look for the switch case branch where it considers the 2 digit error codes. Enter in the full list of error codes to see what your error actually is.