• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Comic book store in Costa Rica

Chronoz

Hi guys! I've been working on this site for about a month now, it's my very first one.

www.steveoscc.com

I was wondering if you guys can check it out and help me improve it.

Thanks! :D

- get rid of the splash screen.. unless you are planning to optimize it as a Landing Page (google it)

- go straight to the catalog which I would put under "/" not under "/catalog" - redirects may hurt your SEO

- Footer - seems narrower in Firefox

Other then that.. your "Green Sun by Key West" theme looks good :)

Regards,

George

Hi guys! I've been working on this site for about a month now, it's my very first one.

www.steveoscc.com

I was wondering if you guys can check it out and help me improve it.

Thanks! :D

- get rid of the splash screen.. unless you are planning to optimize it as a Landing Page (google it)

- go straight to the catalog which I would put under "/" not under "/catalog" - redirects may hurt your SEO

- Footer - seems narrower in Firefox

Other then that.. your "Green Sun by Key West" theme looks good :)

Regards,

George

Ok, I wanted to put it liek you said in the "/" instead of catalog, but a friend came up with that idea, I'll def. remove that once I open the store.

How can I fix the footer for Firefox? I thought I saw it was ok, but ddnt really get into much detail with Firfox

And yea the Green sun was my favorite template, i had to use it! And change it a bit, hehehe!

Thanks!

Any other advice?

Ok, I wanted to put it liek you said in the "/" instead of catalog, but a friend came up with that idea, I'll def. remove that once I open the store.

How can I fix the footer for Firefox? I thought I saw it was ok, but ddnt really get into much detail with Firfox

And yea the Green sun was my favorite template, i had to use it! And change it a bit, hehehe!

Thanks!

Any other advice?

Kill the splash screen.

The footer does not match the site in ie6.

Get an ssl certificate.

it doesnt match the site in the newest IE either. I have it on my cpu here at work and its smaller than the rest of the site.

Go to catalog/includes/footer.php and make sure the fixed width is the same as the rest of your site.

Also, you small images look like LARGE images squeezed into a small holder. If you dont have one, get an automatic thumbnailer.

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Ok, I see what you guys are talking about, I saw that at first but I never config anything, it came like that...

This is what I changed and still nothing moved or changed (whatever is in bold)

</td></tr></table>

<?php/*  $Id: footer.php 1739 2007-12-20 00:52:16Z hpdl $  

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions  
http://www.oscommerce.com  

Copyright (c) 2003 osCommerce  

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/  require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'counter.php');
?>
<table  border="0"  [b]width="811"[/b] cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1" >  
<tr class="footer">	
<td class="footer">  <?php echo strftime(DATE_FORMAT_LONG); ?>  </td>
<td align="right" class="footer">  <?php echo $counter_now . ' ' . FOOTER_TEXT_REQUESTS_SINCE . ' ' . $counter_startdate_formatted; ?>  

<p>

<?php echo FOOTER_TEXT_BODY; ?> <p>

<?php 
/* if ($banner = tep_banner_exists('dynamic', '468x50')) {
?>
<br>

<table border="0" [b]width="811"[/b] cellspacing="0" cellpadding="[b]2[/b]"> 
<tr>
<td align="center"><?php echo tep_display_banner('static', $banner); ?></td>
 </tr>
</table>

<?php
 } */
?>
<div class='credits'>Green Sun by 	<a href='http://www.keywestvacationguide.com/key-west-web-design.php' class='credits'>Key West</a> </div>
</td>
 </tr>

</table>
<br>
</center>

I actually added the width="811" part on the top and bottom like it shows I compared the header with the footer and thats where I got the width="811"

This is the original:

</td></tr></table>

<?php
/*
 $Id: footer.php 1739 2007-12-20 00:52:16Z hpdl $

*/

require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'counter.php');
?>
<table  border="0"  cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1" class='footertable' >
 <tr class="footer">
<td align="right" class="footer">  <?php echo $counter_now . ' ' . FOOTER_TEXT_REQUESTS_SINCE . ' ' . $counter_startdate_formatted; ?>  

<p>

<?php
/* if ($banner = tep_banner_exists('dynamic', '468x50')) {
?>
<br>

<table border="0"  cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
 <tr>
 </tr>
</table>

<?php
 } */
?>
<div class='credits'>Green Sun by 	<a href='http://www.keywestvacationguide.com/key-west-web-design.php' class='credits'>Key West</a> </div>

</td>
 </tr>

</table>

<br>
</center>

I'm sorry for asking this but im going to be honest I'm surprised that I've gotten this far, I made a lot of mistakes with this website and I've made backups, etc. I'm not that good with the website makeing part! LOL! If you guys can tell me if I have to add something or change something it would be great, I'll keep on trying too.

And the frontpage Im going to change it once I get the store opened, its still under constrution.

The automatic thumbnailer! Thats what Ive been looking for, I'll google it and see if I can use that! Awesome! thanks!

How can I get a SSL certificate? Stupid question... I know :huh:

looks good to me!! what did you do to fix?

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

looks good to me!! what did you do to fix?

Thank you thank you!

What I did was I grabbed the old template (the default one that comes with OsCommerce) and I installed the footer.php

Saved

I saw what it did to my page.

Looks great but diferent

So I copied/pasted the code from that footer to a Word pad

And I deleted that footer.php and installed the Green Sun footer.php

And I just played with it for a bit, adding and removing stuff untill I got it like this.

So it's a mixture between the old template and the Green sun one! haha!

This how the code looks now

<?php
/*
$Id: footer.php 1739 2007-12-20 00:52:16Z hpdl $

*/

require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'counter.php');
?>
<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1" class='footertable' >
<tr class="footer">

<p>

<?php
if ($banner = tep_banner_exists('dynamic', '500x50')) {
?>
<br>
<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
<tr>
</tr>
</table>
<?php
}
?>

<?php

?>
<div class='credits'>Green Sun by  <a href='http://www.keywestvacationguide.com/key-west-web-design.php' class='credits'>Key West</a> </div>
</td>
</tr>

</table>

<br>
</center>

And for some reason my old logo popped up at the bottom and I had idea how to remove so I just added a 500 in '500x50' and it disappered, works for me, I dont see it anywhere. Before it was like 468 or something like that, dont remember.

Also I looked for the automatic thumbnails and I download the .zip file and I followed the instructions, which was just to replace a file and a refreshed my page and now all my images have lost their color, is it because those images were up there already?

where do you see that the images lost their color?? i dont see it and i went back to your store.. at first i saw the one that looks like supermans tomb stone, but that is supposed to be grey right?? and the comic book colors look ok to me.

where do you see that the images lost their color?? i dont see it and i went back to your store.. at first i saw the one that looks like supermans tomb stone, but that is supposed to be grey right?? and the comic book colors look ok to me.

Yea, I uninstalled it thats why it looks good, I'll install it again so you can see it.

And yea the Supermans tomb is gray like that.

that is REALLY weird.. which autothumbnailer did you download??

Sorry for taking so long to answer, I didnt imagine you would answer so fast! LOL!

I download the one that says Automatic Thumbnail by ifunk,

Im going to try another one, I think I found a better version by olaf noehring

glad you got it to work!!! Thats a good thing! which one did you DL.. posting a link would help others who search the forum!!

As for the SSL, you can probably get a shared one from your host for free. it is a good place to start until you site starts to make money.. Just contact your host and they will walk you through installing.. its usually something that can help you with fairly easily

glad you got it to work!!! Thats a good thing! which one did you DL.. posting a link would help others who search the forum!!

As for the SSL, you can probably get a shared one from your host for free. it is a good place to start until you site starts to make money.. Just contact your host and they will walk you through installing.. its usually something that can help you with fairly easily

Sure!

Its Automatic Thumbnail

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1484

And I used:

Automatic Thumbnail - added ability to define jpeg thumbnail quality olaf_noehring 11 Jul 2006

And the SSL, I'm using hostrocket as my host and they have a free one but they use a shared SSL certificate or I can pay a certain amount of money a year so I can have it on my domain.

But I'm still searching for one, actually yesterday I found godaddy.com so I'm going to check that out and see what prices they have there.

Well, i have a shared SSL.. there is not really any less security for it. The only thing is that on the URL bar, the actualy url changes a little.. but with a smaller store, it is MORE than ok to start out with. When your company starts to make some money, they you can buy one.. I also suggest that when you buy an SSL, you should just get it from your host. They will be more helpful in getting it installed..

IF you click through my site an dpay attention to the url bar at the top, you will see what i mean.. here is my site: www.furryfamilysupplies.com

You also can get a site seal for the SSL even if you have a shared. My host is emailing mine to me, so i dont have it up just yet.. but it is just as safe for the most part

Well, i have a shared SSL.. there is not really any less security for it. The only thing is that on the URL bar, the actualy url changes a little.. but with a smaller store, it is MORE than ok to start out with. When your company starts to make some money, they you can buy one.. I also suggest that when you buy an SSL, you should just get it from your host. They will be more helpful in getting it installed..

IF you click through my site an dpay attention to the url bar at the top, you will see what i mean.. here is my site: www.furryfamilysupplies.com

You also can get a site seal for the SSL even if you have a shared. My host is emailing mine to me, so i dont have it up just yet.. but it is just as safe for the most part

Yea, I just asked my site for the free one for now and for a logo, lets see how that goes!

Thanks for all you help! And if any other advice you might have just throw it out there! :D

Steven

• 4 weeks later...

How can I move it to that?

I tried doing it threw my Filezilla program, and it seems like you cant just cut and paste it, the website gets messed up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :D

Steven

you have a change a LOT of other things over than moving you. You are going to ave to change ALL of the file paths.. i would do a google search, asi dont really have the answers for you. I havent done it yet.

you have a change a LOT of other things over than moving you. You are going to ave to change ALL of the file paths.. i would do a google search, asi dont really have the answers for you. I havent done it yet.

Ok, great! I really appreciate your help! I'll do the same thing and if I find anything I'll post it!

thanks!

Steven

Well Lindsay, I went ahead and I just redid my webpage under www.mysite.com

I've deleted and reinstalled so many times then I think I can do it with my eyes closed! LOL!

But thanks for your help! I really appreciate it! And by the end of the day I will have it up and running.!

:D

good for you!!! i havent even TRIED to do that..i know its possible, but not for me.. not yet.

Archived