• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Feedback on look & feel

I can't figure out what is going wrong. I'm at a loss with this. I can't get my checkout back up, no matter what I do.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

did you talk to dynamo?

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

stay away from the source code and look at the ACTUAL code in the header.php file for the CHECKOUT butotn in that bar that is under the banner.

Maybe your filenames.php folder got screwy. Did you change anything in there?? If the define for that file is not there, then that is your main issue./

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Alright, I think I've cleared it up. Thats enough excitement for the day. I think I'll just go and watch some TV and weep in my pillow. *sigh*. I'll email Dynamo tomorrow.

that is really disappointing. I really liked the IDEA of that contribution.. did you ask if the guy who made it can install it for you??

What is the actual error. what keeps making it die on you?

That's the problem with a lot of contributions - they don't work properly. I have found that coding things myself works out a lot better and I do the right job.

Anyway that's another story...

With your site I just find it too "templaty" with no creativity or flare. I feel its so important to give your site the right feel to give your users a positive experience... happy users are more likely to spend their money with you.

Dan

Alright, I think I've cleared it up. Thats enough excitement for the day. I think I'll just go and watch some TV and weep in my pillow. *sigh*. I'll email Dynamo tomorrow.

I would suggest that you install wamp or xamp on your pc, install osc there, copy your website files there (except for the configure.php files). You will then have a test site where it won't matter is things don't work for a while.

Hey Deb, I'm sorry to hear you're still having problems. Installations usually go a lot quicker. Would you be willing to send me FTP access so that I can figure out what's going on?

Please use the forums for support! I am happy to help you here, but I am unable to offer free technical support over instant messenger or e-mail.

Hey Deb, I'm sorry to hear you're still having problems. Installations usually go a lot quicker. Would you be willing to send me FTP access so that I can figure out what's going on?

Oh yes! I just sent you an email. I'll email you FTP info asap.

I would suggest that you install wamp or xamp on your pc, install osc there, copy your website files there (except for the configure.php files). You will then have a test site where it won't matter is things don't work for a while.

Do the files have to be within a certain folder? I downloaded xampp. Thanks for the tip!

That's the problem with a lot of contributions - they don't work properly. I have found that coding things myself works out a lot better and I do the right job.

Anyway that's another story...

With your site I just find it too "templaty" with no creativity or flare. I feel its so important to give your site the right feel to give your users a positive experience... happy users are more likely to spend their money with you.

Well, first off, it's not a template (except coming from the base oscommerce), but second, could you be more specific? It would help me if you could point out the thing that you find the most critical.

Hi Debora, I checked out your website and I'm having mixed feelings about the look and feel of it.

I don't think it looks too templaty, but it looks uncoordinated, by lack of better wording.

I feel it's because the leftcolumn is not clearly seperated from the rest of the store, maybe try an different color for those infoboxes? Or put borders around them?

Also the footer? images are very big and I'd move the discrete shipping up to the header (in that case I would make the image smaller).

The hacker safe, payment info and geotrust would come after the information links like way at the bottom if the images are this big.

I do think it's good to keep the background for the productlisting white because most of the product images are very colorful. I'll check back later, I have to do some other stuff now.

Hi Debora, I checked out your website and I'm having mixed feelings about the look and feel of it.

I don't think it looks too templaty, but it looks uncoordinated, by lack of better wording.

I feel it's because the leftcolumn is not clearly seperated from the rest of the store, maybe try an different color for those infoboxes? Or put borders around them?

Also the footer? images are very big and I'd move the discrete shipping up to the header (in that case I would make the image smaller).

The hacker safe, payment info and geotrust would come after the information links like way at the bottom if the images are this big.

I do think it's good to keep the background for the productlisting white because most of the product images are very colorful. I'll check back later, I have to do some other stuff now.

Thanks for looking. I agree with you about the discoordination of the site. I keep messing around with it, but I may have to just start from scratch. Now it's too busy! Argh...

I think what I need to do is get inspired for an actual theme. I love the hand, but I think it may be too frightening for most people in that it may invoke subconscious fears.

Hi

Whilst you are thinking about reworking your page design, here are a couple of little points to consider

• when you add several items to your shopping cart, the background header graphic starts to repeat as the header expands
  • then in firefox it looks like the infobox content, expands outside where the left and right infobox borders, would be.

if you don't have firefox let me know and i'll send you the screen shot I took

hth

Ian

Hi

Whilst you are thinking about reworking your page design, here are a couple of little points to consider

• when you add several items to your shopping cart, the background header graphic starts to repeat as the header expands
  • then in firefox it looks like the infobox content, expands outside where the left and right infobox borders, would be.

if you don't have firefox let me know and i'll send you the screen shot I took

hth

Ian

I guess I'm just going to have to move that shopping cart out of there. I'm thinking I'll put the right column back in. Thanks for the imput Ian!

WOW... lookin good there!! just went to see the progress

Hey Matthew! Thanks for looking! I was trying to install the one page checkout when you were on. I cringed when the error happened! Quickly uploading my trusty backups, the site came back up within 30 seconds. Dont you hate when that happens!

True enough, you can't get back to the landing page unless you type in the url without the index.php in it. What are you selling on your site? Another adult site? Have you been to the Enclave?????

Sorry for not getting back sooner but some family health issues arose. Anyway I am selling adult DVDs @ www.rogersdvds.com and no i have never been to Enclave, what is it?

a few pointers for your site:

never attempt tweaks on a live site. instead use EasyPHP to install a virtual server n your computer. this way you never have any downtime.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/quickeasyphp/

next you need a good ftp client to transfer files to and fro. i have always had good luck with Filezilla.

http://filezilla-project.org/

lastly a good text editor. i use ConTEXT as i can revert back to prior file versions before you attempted any tweaks. this has been a life saver so many tmes as when i installed the PWA and then it resulted in errors.

and by the way, love the site and the mods you made.

thanks

Matthew

Sorry for not getting back sooner but some family health issues arose. Anyway I am selling adult DVDs @ www.rogersdvds.com and no i have never been to Enclave, what is it?

a few pointers for your site:

never attempt tweaks on a live site. instead use EasyPHP to install a virtual server n your computer. this way you never have any downtime.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/quickeasyphp/

next you need a good ftp client to transfer files to and fro. i have always had good luck with Filezilla.

http://filezilla-project.org/

lastly a good text editor. i use ConTEXT as i can revert back to prior file versions before you attempted any tweaks. this has been a life saver so many tmes as when i installed the PWA and then it resulted in errors.

and by the way, love the site and the mods you made.

thanks

Matthew

Thanks Matthew! The Enclave is a BDSM Club in Denver....google it. I own it...come visit! I also make the DVDs on my site and am the Deb in the "2 guys and the Latin Cross". Theres a preview on the site, sorry, no nudity...LOL!

Well, the one page checkout is finally up and working! Anyone wanting to see what it looks like, just put something in the shopping cart and hit the checkout link. Just don't forget to clear the cart, or better yet....BUY SOMETHING *laughing*

Hey Debora, never mind the quality feel the width. You may not understand that saying it was from a British sitcom years ago about a shop. Anyways I like the site, I like the intro and being a 62 year old male a I don't think I would prefere a vibrator to a puppy. I have no objections to what your selling and you wouldn't sell these things if there was not a market for them. That's what business is all about and I think you have presented them well enough to make people who need them, buy them. I like it.

BTW would you take a look back at mine (my site that is) and see if you think it has improved.

Jack

If at first you don't succeed.............................Cheat!!

you took down the one page quick checkout?? it really never worked out for you huh?? that SUCKS! mind sharing what the issues were?

Archived