• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Feedback on look & feel

dynamoeffect is someone who won my respect through some of his work as seen in the osc contribution section. if something is from him then i would assume it maybe creditable.

there may be some commercial solutions out there but, albeit not illegal, promoting commercial solutions here on the osc forum, that is, if what you say is in effect promotion, then it is not on a par with the oscommerce spirit and may be against the forum rules.

for those who keep telling everyone there is a 'one page checkout' contribution, here is some comments from someone who actually looked at it and came to a different conclusion.

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dynamoeffect is someone who won my respect through some of his work as seen in the osc contribution section. if something is from him then i would assume it maybe creditable.

there may be some commercial solutions out there but, albeit not illegal, promoting commercial solutions here on the osc forum, that is, if what you say is in effect promotion, then it is not on a par with the oscommerce spirit and may be against the forum rules.

for those who keep telling everyone there is a 'one page checkout' contribution, here is some comments from someone who actually looked at it and came to a different conclusion.

Ken

Okay, first, you're the one who keeps bringing this up. This thread was started for people to give me feedback on my look and feel as well as my navigation. Read the thread title.

Second. I've done my own work on my site. Granted, I've used many contributions, but I've done my own work and my own graphics. If you want to debate someone's checkout system, do it on another thread. I'm not promoting anything but my site. I was giving info to another oscommercer (a friend) who's given me a lot of help when others have shunned me because they apparantly don't like what I sell .... although how anyone can't like a vibrator is beyond my comprehension. It's like not liking a little puppy.

So anyway, go be snotty somewhere else.

The sites look good and loads fairly fast...

The site appears to not use the one page checkout yet, so i guess those who wants to see it in action will have to wait.

I have had a look at the demo for the one page checkout which is available for 149 usd and it looks very nice.

There is also a contribution for one page checkout available in the contributions section, but as it stands now it has some limitations in regards to how shipping is handled....But the shipping issue should be possible to fix using javascript/ajax.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear it's loading fast since there's a fair number of graphics.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear it's loading fast since there's a fair number of graphics.

For the record, the padloack is there for ssl pages in ie6. May have been a temporary glitch.

Loads quickly, looks good.

What did you use for antispam on the contact us page?

how anyone can't like a vibrator is beyond my comprehension. It's like not liking a little puppy.

Brilliant quote :D You should add it as your signature.

I have seen the 1 page checkout that is being discussed on this thread - and I can say that it has some great features and is coded solidly. And well worth the very low price that is being charged - I'd have charged ten times as much.

oscommerce spirit??? WTH is that?

Too many people get wrapped up in the oscommerce is free so everything connected with oscommerce should be free. GPL != free.

Anyway - your site content does not turn me off. The design of your site is not awful. It looks like an osCommerce site - which is something that I like to see people try to get away from as much as possible (by this I mean the header, footer, 3 column with infoboxes look). How about removing a column and having more infoboxes in the front page only?

Live Support? Needed on this type of site? I'd have thought that the only issues would be: price and do you do discrete packaging. What other questions would people ask?

For the record, the padloack is there for ssl pages in ie6. May have been a temporary glitch.

Loads quickly, looks good.

What did you use for antispam on the contact us page?

I used anti_spambot_contact_us_1.2 I think I installed that a year ago, before the store was really online.

Glad to hear the padlock is showing. Thanks for the feedback!

Brilliant quote :D You should add it as your signature.

I have seen the 1 page checkout that is being discussed on this thread - and I can say that it has some great features and is coded solidly. And well worth the very low price that is being charged - I'd have charged ten times as much.

oscommerce spirit??? WTH is that?

Anyway - your site content does not turn me off. The design of your site is not awful. It looks like an osCommerce site - which is something that I like to see people try to get away from as much as possible (by this I mean the header, footer, 3 column with infoboxes look). How about removing a column and having more infoboxes in the front page only?

Live Support? Needed on this type of site? I'd have thought that the only issues would be: price and do you do discrete packaging. What other questions would people ask?

Actually, people have used Live Support to talk to me about a product, wanting to know if they can do a sale over the phone...sometimes they're lonely (not kidding). So, I'll keep it. I like the idea of losing a column though. I'm going to mull over how I can design the elements to keep what I need in one column. Thanks for the idea!

I'm glad you like the vibrator puppy quote! :rolleyes:

Like the site -- my kind of place -- now where did that subbie get to?? Hmm Back to web sites, nice design, readable, good selection, -- negatives, redo the checkout etc pages to get the zip code showing in right order, Here

http://adarkdesire.com/store/product_info....products_id/161 maybe just me but the left hand side is clean and crisp and the right side is well not! On the BDSM information side maybe link to a couple of play sheets, and sell the book hell with the roses give me the thorns -- lots of talking in BDSM! LOL Only other idea is on the education and information links maybe a nicer font? Nice site!

Like the site -- my kind of place -- now where did that subbie get to?? Hmm Back to web sites, nice design, readable, good selection, -- negatives, redo the checkout etc pages to get the zip code showing in right order, Here

http://adarkdesire.com/store/product_info....products_id/161 maybe just me but the left hand side is clean and crisp and the right side is well not! On the BDSM information side maybe link to a couple of play sheets, and sell the book hell with the roses give me the thorns -- lots of talking in BDSM! LOL Only other idea is on the education and information links maybe a nicer font? Nice site!

Good lord that pic went long! Will fix asap!

I'm going to be working on only a left column layout. With Thunder in The Mountains going on, my weekend is screwed, but I'll be completely revamping including the checkout.

Thanks for the feedback!

i am a little confused.. First, i dont see any blue, and second, the checkout that i am going through is just the basic PURCHASE WITHOUT ACCOUNT... or did you not impliment the new checkout a bit..

Ah no, since you said you were having problems with the installation and you have the checkout disabled, I just simply typed in the direct URL to the checkout to see if I spotted anything obvious. Looked like it was working fine when I tried it.

Ken

Ken, I don't know why you're so angry, but that checkout that's live on her site isn't the one page checkout. The one page checkout is currently disabled for whatever reason and her standard checkout system is in use. I am not promoting nor selling commercial products in these forums.

Please use the forums for support! I am happy to help you here, but I am unable to offer free technical support over instant messenger or e-mail.

Ah no, since you said you were having problems with the installation and you have the checkout disabled, I just simply typed in the direct URL to the checkout to see if I spotted anything obvious. Looked like it was working fine when I tried it.

Ken, I don't know why you're so angry, but that checkout that's live on her site isn't the one page checkout. The one page checkout is currently disabled for whatever reason and her standard checkout system is in use. I am not promoting nor selling commercial products in these forums.

I'm having a problem with one of the page mods. I'll email you the issue tomorrow (Monday).

i just noticed a little error.. on your index page it says:

Welcome to ADARKDESIRE.COM! Be sure and check out our mp3 interviews on bdsm in the education section (to your right), and don't forget to check out the movie previews in the dvd section (in the Products menu).

but you GOT RID OF THE RIGHT COLUMN!!!

I also think that you should put the LIVE HELP where the shopping cart is and the shopping cart where the live help is.. the two times i went to your site, the shopping cart just didnt stand out to me and i found it hard to actually find, probably because of the lack of borders (which is nice) but it didnt catch my eye, and i know i ALWAYS look to the top right for the shopping carts on ALL stores.

maybe make the SALE ITEMS into a fun little image that links to the sales. It would be more eye catching to people that way.

One more question.. WHAT article manager did you use for the BDSM articles?? I used Article manager in the contributions area and i COULD NOT get the cross sell to work for the LIFE of me.. and it was the WHOLE reason i added it/ On another note, you can probably add a little more PIZAZZ to your articles (i dont know if they were just test articles) but maybea picture of the person who is doingthe interview, or something else. It looks a little plain to me.

And finally, i REALLY like the little images that you used for the box headers, but the font seems a little small. I think you shouldd make the images on the boxes a little bit larger

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

i just noticed a little error.. on your index page it says:

but you GOT RID OF THE RIGHT COLUMN!!!

I also think that you should put the LIVE HELP where the shopping cart is and the shopping cart where the live help is.. the two times i went to your site, the shopping cart just didnt stand out to me and i found it hard to actually find, probably because of the lack of borders (which is nice) but it didnt catch my eye, and i know i ALWAYS look to the top right for the shopping carts on ALL stores.

maybe make the SALE ITEMS into a fun little image that links to the sales. It would be more eye catching to people that way.

One more question.. WHAT article manager did you use for the BDSM articles?? I used Article manager in the contributions area and i COULD NOT get the cross sell to work for the LIFE of me.. and it was the WHOLE reason i added it/ On another note, you can probably add a little more PIZAZZ to your articles (i dont know if they were just test articles) but maybea picture of the person who is doingthe interview, or something else. It looks a little plain to me.

And finally, i REALLY like the little images that you used for the box headers, but the font seems a little small. I think you shouldd make the images on the boxes a little bit larger

lol! Good catch, I'll fix that asap!

Good point....I can switch the live help with the shopping cart, no probs. Makes sense to me. And I certainly can also make the girlys bigger in the infobox headers. Do you like it without the right column? I kinda do.

I can add more pics to the articles by including the author (I kinda went without that part). The cross sell piece works for me just fine. It's the Matched Products contribution I believe that meshes with the article manager, but I'll check on that for you.

OHH.. so you used a separate contribution to get the cross sell products to work WITH the article manager.. When i uploaded the article manager, it said it came WITH the cross sell, and get a cross sell admin screen with ADD/REMOVE product, but when i click the add/remove product nothing happens.. maybe they meant that it just added the option but you still need to install the SEPARATE contribution to REALLY get it to work..

Anyways, i LIKE it without the two columns, it breaks from the cluttered feel you get with two columns.. unfortunartely, right now i need all the space i can get. I mean, i have a LOT of stuff i want to show on my main page.. I was going to try to do away with one column too (thats why i did the account history thing) but i think i will stick with two columms but add more images and in site advertisements. (like my educational links banner)

I am SOOO psyched to get back to working on my header though..

Anyways, i would LOVE tos ee those girls bigger and the text..

the other thing i noticed was that in your product info page, you social bookmarks were above the reviews and continuw buttons, i might re arrange that so the social bookmarks are beneath it.. but again, JUST ME>

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

OHH.. so you used a separate contribution to get the cross sell products to work WITH the article manager.. When i uploaded the article manager, it said it came WITH the cross sell, and get a cross sell admin screen with ADD/REMOVE product, but when i click the add/remove product nothing happens.. maybe they meant that it just added the option but you still need to install the SEPARATE contribution to REALLY get it to work..

Anyways, i LIKE it without the two columns, it breaks from the cluttered feel you get with two columns.. unfortunartely, right now i need all the space i can get. I mean, i have a LOT of stuff i want to show on my main page.. I was going to try to do away with one column too (thats why i did the account history thing) but i think i will stick with two columms but add more images and in site advertisements. (like my educational links banner)

I am SOOO psyched to get back to working on my header though..

Anyways, i would LOVE tos ee those girls bigger and the text..

the other thing i noticed was that in your product info page, you social bookmarks were above the reviews and continuw buttons, i might re arrange that so the social bookmarks are beneath it.. but again, JUST ME>

The article contribution I used was Articles v1.5.5. I thought it worked with my matching contribution, but maybe it has one of it's own. Anyway, it's working. So I fixed the sales icon and I'm starting to work on the rest of the stuff. The only thing I'm concerned about movig the shopping cart into the header is, if they have a load of stuff in the cart (god forbid, LOL) will it stretch the header?

Okay, I've taken out the right column, and implemented the one page check out (although the update cart button isn't working and I can't for the life of me figure out why) Anyone got a clue?

Anyway, feedback as always, is very appreciated. Also, in the womens clothing area (and some items in the mens) I put in a javascript that I think is better than a click to open. It's a mouse-over effect to change the thumbnail to a large pic. Please check it out and let me know what you think. Specifically, in womens clothing -> Bustiers -> Leather Buckle Bustier

hey, i went to look and your index.php is giving me 404

Okay, would someone like to give me a kick in the ass now or later? I inadvertently screwed up the link to the store. *Slaps self in the head*

WOAH!! your checkout has a bunch of errors, and the style is not being called to it, so it is all over the place

Okay, just tell me to keep my hands off the configuration files. After yesterday, I was messing with the admin includes config file. But for the life of me, I can't figure out the error message with the download file. I don't do downloads to begin with, and I never touched anything to do with them.

i dont get it.. what happened?? where and when did the error come about??

Your checkout page now is a webpage not found

Okay, I just rolled the one page checkout back again. I can't take it anymore. My customers are going to have to deal with 4 pages or the installation fairy will have to fix it for me. Every time I try to do it, all of a sudden I get bing bing bing and a whole lot of people arrive in the store and the one page checkout is screwing up and I'm (virtually) running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

that is really disappointing. I really liked the IDEA of that contribution.. did you ask if the guy who made it can install it for you??

What is the actual error. what keeps making it die on you?

Archived