• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

sitemap confusion - totally

I have gotten myself totally confused about SEO and sitemaps. At this time I have installed: SEO URL; SEO-G; Googlesitemap.php; goolge_sitemap.php and Dynamic Sitemap. I paid for one of the SEO contributions.

Do I need all of these, any of these, or some combination of the five? At this moment I don't think any of them are working, but I am not sure how I would know anyway. Somehow I need something that will create a good google sitemap.

Can anyone please straigten me out?

Eddie

Edited by eewalker1939

You can't have two url rewriters installed and these two, Googlesitemap.php; goolge_sitemap.php, also appear redundant. Dynamic Sitemap has a sitemap on the shop that your customers can use and one in admin for the search engines, which should be used. So, all-in-all, it seems you have a mess there.

If you are wanting a sitemap to submit to the search engines, then the google sitemap by Chemo is still the best, in my opinion. Having Ultimate SEO or SEO-G (although that has problems and is poorly supported) installed will help with that. Having the Dynamic Sitemap contribution installed is a good idea but don't use the included admin sitemap option.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

You can't have two url rewriters installed and these two, Googlesitemap.php; goolge_sitemap.php, also appear redundant. Dynamic Sitemap has a sitemap on the shop that your customers can use and one in admin for the search engines, which should be used. So, all-in-all, it seems you have a mess there.

If you are wanting a sitemap to submit to the search engines, then the google sitemap by Chemo is still the best, in my opinion. Having Ultimate SEO or SEO-G (although that has problems and is poorly supported) installed will help with that. Having the Dynamic Sitemap contribution installed is a good idea but don't use the included admin sitemap option.

Jack

[/quote

Thanks Jack.

If I understand your reply, you would have me install google sitemap by chemo for search engine submission, Ultimate SEO to support the google sitemap, and Dynamic Sitemap.

Wouldn't the Google Sitemap and the Dynamic Sitemap installations be redundant. I wish the different contributions gave some detail about the processes of the particular add-on. I really don't understand what each is doing and how they go about doing what they do. For instance, how does the Dynamic Sitemap add-on work if not started from the admin panel? What good is it if I don't use the admin button to create the xml google file? And what about the notify switch; is it not needed? And how would running it add to the other two?

My immediate goal is to have my site crawled and indexed by major search engines. I believe I need to create and upload a good sitemap for that to happen. I understand that having my site optimized for search engines would be a plus, buty may not be necessary. What I don't understand is which add-ons will best accomplish this goal and how they work together to do that. I notice you are running Dynamic Sitemap and Ultmate SEO.

I really appreciate any insight you may be able, or willing (it is a big order), to lend. Thanks again.

Eddie

Edited by eewalker1939

There are two different kinds of sitemaps: one just for the search engines and never seen by customers, as generated by the google sitemap contribution, and one seen by the customers. The latter is an actual sitemap on the site but the search engines also use to locate pages on your site. Both should be installed.

If you install the Ultimate SEO contribution, it will convert your url's to some more relevant to the pages they are for, so that should be done. If you install the google sitemap, it will recognize those rewritten urls and place them in the sitemap files. The section of code that creates the sitemaps for the Dynamic Sitemap contribution will not recognize them and will create, in effect, invalid url's (in the sense that Ultimate SEO has to issue 301's for them).

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...
There are two different kinds of sitemaps: one just for the search engines and never seen by customers, as generated by the google sitemap contribution, and one seen by the customers. The latter is an actual sitemap on the site but the search engines also use to locate pages on your site. Both should be installed.

If you install the Ultimate SEO contribution, it will convert your url's to some more relevant to the pages they are for, so that should be done. If you install the google sitemap, it will recognize those rewritten urls and place them in the sitemap files. The section of code that creates the sitemaps for the Dynamic Sitemap contribution will not recognize them and will create, in effect, invalid url's (in the sense that Ultimate SEO has to issue 301's for them).

Jack

Thanks Jack.

Taking your advice, I have deleted everything having to do with SEO and Sitemaps from my site and installed Ultimate SEO by Chemo and the Dynamic Sitemap contribution.

Thanks for the nice detailed response.

Eddie

Edited by eewalker1939