• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] HelpDesk For osCommerce

Here is my example at Pair:

pair_mail_1.jpg

The option to choose above is "Filter"

pair_mail_2.jpg

In the Mail Sent To field I would enter the mail alias entry of help, sales, info, or whatever so that the helpdesk department email address would be help _AT_ oscommerce.com, sales _AT_ oscommerce.com, info _AT_ oscommerce.com, or whatever.

[the " _AT_ " string is ofcourse the @ symbol to avoid the forum creating automatic links to non existing email accounts]

The Pass To field would contain the following:

/usr/bin/php -q /path/to/osc_mail2db.php config=/path/to/admin/includes/configure.php

Note: There is no need to enter the | here (as in "|/usr/bin/php -q ....") as this is a html based interface to the mail setup which does the magic automatically behind the scenes.

##

The correct term for mail alias entry is indeed Recipe.

:heart:, osCommerce

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harald,

Can you please post a copy of your 'alias' file (I'm not even sure if that's it's name or if it has an extension) so those of us who use cPanel and sendmail are able to copy your process.

Am I correct in my thinking that we can just change a few minor things in your file and upload it to our usretc directory and all will be working?

Thanks,

tony

"The price of success is perseverance. The price of failure comes much cheaper."

Can you please post a copy of your 'alias' file (I'm not even sure if that's it's name or if it has an extension) so those of us who use cPanel and sendmail are able to copy your process.

/etc/mail/aliases:

help: "|/usr/bin/php -q /home/projects/osCommerce/cvs/catalog/extras/helpdesk/osc_mail2db.php config=/home/projects/osCommerce/cvs/admin/admin/includes/local/configure.php

All on one line.

The "help" user does not have to have a user account on the server - it's just an alias.

Note: Don't forget to run "newaliases" to generate a new aliases.db file :) (should be located in the same directory as the "aliases" file)

Am I correct in my thinking that we can just change a few minor things in your file and upload it to our usretc directory and all will be working?

No - as mentioned, configuration is server specific.

You can try, but don't blame me if something breaks :D

Here is my example at Pair:

Harald, what site admin software does Pair use??

I ask because on my server they use WHM/Cpanel and it doesn't have the "filter" option in the mail managment.

I've contacted my admin and he is looking to see what the file name is I need to write the alias to and will let me know.

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing

- Edmund Burke

Ok folks..

I got mine working!!!

I am having my hosting guy send me clear and direct instructions on how to do it ..

Keep it mind..I'm using procmail ..

basically, I used another file the only rc file in the www-mail directory and set the values exactly as was asked in the install.txt file.( obviously changed to reflect my server environment)

Things to watch out for, is having the admin side configured properly to read the email...

If you have access to phpmyadmin check there as opposed to the admin section..

Hold tight friends...I will post the solution for you guys very shortly...

It will work..

Mark

I have a dedicated server, but even not the understanding for the explanation of you here.

But apparent my missing English is responsible.

Then stop without helpdesk.

Vielleicht lerne ich ja mal irgendwann etwas Englisch ;-)

Trotzdem Big thx Rigo

Vielleicht lerne ich ja mal irgendwann etwas Englisch

Maybe you can ask here:

http://www.oscommerce.de

i have just set up postfix and now the mail just disappears it doesnt get returned and it doesnt appear in the admin section of helpdesk. this is driving me insane!!! hehe

Regarding:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php...p?p=95351#95351

I just had alook and ooooops! :oops:

The parse_output() call should be renamed to osc_parse_mime_decode_output()

I will upload the fixed osc_mail2db.php script to the contribution.

The function is defined in osc_mail2db.php.

Also what is the web based admin you are using for postfix?

Postfix is on my local Gentoo Linux server - all configuration is done by hand :D

The updated osc_mail2db.php script has been uploaded:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,859

The error occured depending on how the incoming email was parsed (which is why it was not originally noticed)

I apologize for any inconveniences!

I got the alias set up on my server... but it doesn't seem to be working...

I checked the logs and see no error message...

which leads me to this question: Why can't we just insert the ticket into the DB when the user submits it instead of sending it to a mail alias that forwards it to a script that inserts it into the database????... seems like alot of circling around to just get some info in the database.

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing

- Edmund Burke

hmmm... Josh

I never thought of it that way.

Anyone know why exactly.

It does seem to be a loooong way round the houses for such a simple thing.

I still dont have a reply from my host about the alias, so if anyone can shed some light please do.

CC.

which leads me to this question: Why can't we just insert the ticket into the DB when the user submits it instead of sending it to a mail alias that forwards it to a script that inserts it into the database????... seems like alot of circling around to just get some info in the database.

I mentioned that in a previous post :) (on page three of this thread)

Actually, the reason for the email is to use whatever is defined in the recipe and to have whatever there consistent when postings are sent via email or via the Contact Us page.

If a backup email address is used, this would only need to be set in the recipe and not in the Contact Us php logic.