• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Shipping Tables - where are they stored?

WoodsWalker

Greetings, kind folks,

I am using the resident Air Mail and Surface Mail shipping modules, using tables based on order total. All well and good until...

I was hoping to launch my store tonight and was just doing a final check, and found that the system could not calculate shipping rates for orders over $300. Looking at the settings in the modules through Admin, I recalled that, as my tables were quite long (in $10 increments, as shipping is a percentage of the order total), Admin truncated them if they were too long. Thus I had left the tables incomplete.

Tonight, seeing this, I figured I could find where the shipping tables were stored in the database, and enter the table directly there since the Admin choked on it. Problem is ... I can't find it!! :(

Can anyone direct me to where the shipping tables are stored, or, alternatively, is there a less clunky way to do this? Thanks!!

~Wendy

Just a note, now that I've thought about it...

I opted to use price-based tables ("price mode") instead of percentages ("percentage mode"), because my minimum shipping rate for Surface Mail (for instance) is $10 - so I give the first entry in the table as "100:10" so that every order up to $100 is given a shipping sharge of $10.

I feared that, using the percentage mode, an order of $25, for instance, would be shipped for $2.50, which won't do.

Can I impose a minimum shipping charge while using the percentage mode?

Thanks,

~Wendy

As usual, I figured it out once I'd posted it ...

The resident Air Mail and Surface Mail shipping module tables are in the MySQL "configuration" table, starting at around configuration_id 209. I can change them in there.

Nighty-night!

OK, now I see I am limited to 255 characters. That's why my tables got truncated - not because of the form in the Admin screen.

Back to the drawing board... :blink:

Maybe you can duplicate the table module and have each handling different ranges.

Hmmm, could be. Thanks for the suggestion.

Same seems to go for countries - a comma-delimited list of countries is much longer that 255 characters, but my shipping rates are the same to the USA and Canada, and a different rate for anything other than USA or Canada. the osCommerce Air Mail and Surface Mail modules allow for four "Regions" - I'll may be able to use one for "United States,Canada" and split the rest among the other three, if I shorten them up a little and hope no one ever places an order from Liberia. I know there are contribs. that can give me more Regions, etc.

Is there any way to designate "United States,Canada" and "Other", if you get my drift, instead of listing all the other contries in the database?

~Wendy

Hmmm, could be. Thanks for the suggestion.

Same seems to go for countries - a comma-delimited list of countries is much longer that 255 characters, but my shipping rates are the same to the USA and Canada, and a different rate for anything other than USA or Canada. the osCommerce Air Mail and Surface Mail modules allow for four "Regions" - I'll may be able to use one for "United States,Canada" and split the rest among the other three, if I shorten them up a little and hope no one ever places an order from Liberia. I know there are contribs. that can give me more Regions, etc.

Is there any way to designate "United States,Canada" and "Other", if you get my drift, instead of listing all the other contries in the database?

~Wendy

The zones rate module does. I use it to specify 5 zones. Instructions are in the zones.php file.

Hi, Leslie and all,

Leslie, the Zones Rates module looks quite versatile, and the instructions are good. Looks as if one cannot designate a "wild card" as such, though, but must enter every country specifically. At least it's easy to add more Zones following the instructions.

The Surface Mail and Air Mail modules are basically the same thing, with a few more zone fields from the get-go, but now I have more info to go by while designing.

I saw something interesting in the instructions - they say one should enter the two-letter country designator into the module, instead of the full name of the country. Is this correct? I'm hoping that it is, as it will save a lot of space!

Thanks,

~Wendy

Hi, Leslie and all,

Leslie, the Zones Rates module looks quite versatile, and the instructions are good. Looks as if one cannot designate a "wild card" as such, though, but must enter every country specifically. At least it's easy to add more Zones following the instructions.

The Surface Mail and Air Mail modules are basically the same thing, with a few more zone fields from the get-go, but now I have more info to go by while designing.

I saw something interesting in the instructions - they say one should enter the two-letter country designator into the module, instead of the full name of the country. Is this correct? I'm hoping that it is, as it will save a lot of space!

Thanks,

~Wendy

The final zone is for countries not specified in other zones, and no countries are put in there. Yes, it does use the two character iso code for the countries instead of the names.

Just an update, to clear any confusion (mostly mine)

I said earlier that the Air Mail and Surface Mail shipping modules were resident, but that was incorrect - they were installed as the "Regions Based Rates Shipping Module" add-on, contribted by Jorge Suarez. I added this back in April when I started this project, and had completely forgotten.

For my set-up (shipping from Canada with Air Mail and Surface Mail rates, and two "zones": Canada/USA, and Other), this mod was ideal. But unlike the Zone Rates module that Leslie mentions above, it only accepts the full names of countries, and no "wild-card" - so you must include the names of all countries you are able to ship to.

It is easy to create as many zones as necessary to accommodate all the country names, (since each field is limited by MySQL to 255 characters, and you need 3-4 times as much room to hold all the country names).

No biggee. Hope this info helps someone else.

Cheerio!

~Wendy

Archived