• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Multi-Shipping Method Store Owners

blueedge

This is not really a shipping module problem but more of a business process question involving a shipping dilemma. For those store owners that use more than one method of shipping, I would like to solicit your opinion.

Here goes . . . I ship orders using one of two methods. I use either USPS Priority Mail or UPS Ground. Typically, for those orders weighing under 3 pounds, it is cheaper to ship USPS Priority Mail and takes 2 to 3 days. UPS Ground is cheaper for heavier orders and takes 2 to 5 days.

I currently allow the customer to choose which method he/she wants. However, I'm having second thoughts about this. I'm wondering if offering the customer a choice in shipping methods creates more of a problem than it is worth.

Initially, I thought that the customer would appreciate the freedom to select the shipping method. However, now after seeing customers selecting USPS Priority when UPS Ground would be much cheaper and also seeing customers selecting UPS Ground when USPS Priority would be cheaper AND faster, I'm wondering if the customer really understands and is making a conscious selection. I wonder if the whole “choice thing” is confusing for the customer.

Also, in some cases, offering a choice can be expense for me. The customer is charged solely on weight. However, if dimensional weight applies, USPS is incredibly expensive. In addition, I have some products that can only be shipped via UPS because they are shipped by the vendor. I state "UPS shipping only" on those pages. Yet some customers still select USPS.

Now for your opinion . . . those who have more than one shipping method, do you allow the customer a choice? Or, do you streamline the process, thereby, removing any confusion and simply post "your shipping will be $X?"

Thanks for your thoughts!