• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Product Listing Enhancements, Thumbnails & Manufacturer Headings

spooks

Hello spooks/Sam

I seem to have beaten your lovely contribution into the shape I want it (thumbnail setting), except for just two little things:

(i) The radii on the box corners doesn't change, no matter what radius values I specify in the style sheet. It looks set to about 20px. I've poked around in DD_roundies.js to no avail and anyway I'm a bit scared in there.

(ii) The 'buy now' and 'details' button under each box aren't level and I can't for the life of me see why. The former is about 6 pixels higher than the latter.

Any clues please?

1. I assume you are viewing with ie, adjust the settings in the page-header-inc.htc file

2. Have you tried using tools to check on css used?

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

Sorry I don't know what you mean by this, I'll look for a thread about it... (pointer?)

In the doc it says:

To fit the display to your site adjust the css entries, you can use firefox and its web developer & firebug plugins to find/edit the css of any element on a page.
wink.gif

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Ok cheers, that's helped. Two more points before I (try to) leave you alone:

1. Sometimes my thumbnail borders don't show up until the page is refreshed, I guess this is more IE-based annoyance, can anything be done?

2. The "Product Listings Headings" option in Admin: when I installed it was set to False, I tried it on True, the sort options appeared for the customer, I changed it back to False, the sort options haven't gone away again. :huh:

Ok cheers, that's helped. Two more points before I (try to) leave you alone:

1. Sometimes my thumbnail borders don't show up until the page is refreshed, I guess this is more IE-based annoyance, can anything be done?

2. The "Product Listings Headings" option in Admin: when I installed it was set to False, I tried it on True, the sort options appeared for the customer, I changed it back to False, the sort options haven't gone away again. huh.gif

1 Never seen that, there just borders, perhaps you have structure errors in your page, validate with w3.

2. you must have made an error, the Product Listings Headings setting controls headings, control for the drop is elesewhere

Edited by spooks

Sam

Contributions:

2. Ah, then I've lost it blush.gif where elsewhere?

All settings are detailed in the doc

<H3>Settings within the product_listing.php file

<LI>$no_drop = false; <LI class=NoBullet>set to true to remove resuls/page & sort order drop downs

Note the drop will automtically not show when the listing file is called by certain modules, like new products.

</H3>

Sam

Contributions:

Many thanks for your patience Sam, I confess I barely remember even going there, I really mustn't try to learn this stuff at night with a bottle of red. I've just read the Vampire article in your signature, eek.

I've PMd you a link rather than show it in public, just so you can witness my intermittent borders in IE8. It looks a pretty patternless behaviour to me. It probably goes without saying that it's fine in Firefox.

Edited by MattReid

just so you can witness my intermittent borders in IE8.

Ah you did'nt mention you use IE8, one I avoid at all cost (mad that MS call it a essential update!!) anyway I`ve looked with IE8 (& others) and see no issue, perhaps you need to reset your browser cache?

You may also like to add to all your pages that call the listing (index.php etc)

immediately after :

<head>

add:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" />

That gets rid of most ie8 chenanigins!!smile.gif

Sam

Contributions:

:rolleyes: Still no change this end, but if it's only on my computer with my IE8 than hey, I can live with that.

Yeah, I generally use what I think most punters are using. Wiki says IE is down to 60% market share nowadays, and falling...

You'll have seen that I've sucked my buttons up into the thumbnail boxes just by using .infoBoxProducts { margin-bottom:-37px; } I'm guessing you might regard this as heinous practice, is there another way you'd recommend, because currently if I give my thumbnail boxes a background, the buttons are obscured underneath it?

rolleyes.gif Still no change this end, but if it's only on my computer with my IE8 than hey, I can live with that.

Did you try the ie8 fix trick I gave in the last? (makes ie8 same as ie7)

I've sucked my buttons up into the thumbnail boxes

to put buttons properly within the box, in product listing file, about 509

$display .= $borderend . $form . '' . (PRODUCT_LIST_OPTIONS == 'true' ? attribute_drop($products['products_id'],$products['products_tax_class_id']) . $button : $button) . ($multi_add ? '' : '</form>');

change that line too:

$display .= $form . '' . (PRODUCT_LIST_OPTIONS == 'true' ? attribute_drop($products['products_id'],$products['products_tax_class_id']) . $button : $button) . ($multi_add ? '' : '</form>') . $borderend;

Sam

Contributions:

Yep, I stuck the IE8 > IE7 bit into these files:

advanced_search_result.php

index.php

products_new.php

specials.php

That's the lot isn't it? I searched on PRODUCT_LISTING and those seem to be the places it's called from.

It made no difference to my mystery border syndrome. Sometimes half of them get displayed, sometimes all, sometimes none. That's for any new selection, or if I repeatedly load the same selection via Manufacturer search or Categories menu, or by repeatedly pressing the last link in the breadcrumb trail. If I F5-refresh they all get displayed, and likewise if I back-page.

Shrug.

Thanks for the button sucking tip!

Yep, I stuck the IE8 > IE7 bit into these files:

advanced_search_result.php

index.php

products_new.php

specials.php

That's the lot isn't it?

Yes

Sam

Contributions:

Hello Sam,

Nice work here, very well done. And now for my question; I'm trying to eliminate the extra rows between each list-block. I'm using this in list mode but really like the results/page and sort order dropdowns as well as the easy model & manufacturer name columns. Compared to the stock product_listing this mod is adding two rows between each product. Like;

</tr>
 <tr>
   <td align="center" class="separator" colspan="6"><br /></td>
 </tr>
 <tr>
   <td><br /></td>
 </tr>
 <tr class="list-block">

I imagine it might have to do with the borders contrib some may be using, or the manufacturer header option.

Any thoughts on squeezing out the dead vertical spaces?

Yes their generally required, they both occur in the function list_row

$list_box_contents[][] = array('text' =>  '<br />');

and

$list_box_contents[][] = array('align' => 'center',
                                      	'params' => 'class="separator" colspan="'.sizeof($column_list).'"',
                                      	'text' =>  '<br />'); 

Sam

Contributions:

and

'text' =>  '<br />'); 

Just comment those lines out //

Thanks a bunch Sam! Excellent contribution, excellent documentation, same day support.

I can't imagine it getting much better that that!

Hello there, I was hoping you could help me. I have the grid layout working fine in my HTML STS layout over at http://tinyurl.com/oschelper

the new design template can be seen here http://www.takeitpersonally.co.uk/st/spiralthreadsnew.html

All was well until I updated the design of the site using a mixture of CSS and STS.

The main page content is within a div tag defined by my css ... when i load my new template the grid CSS boxes go missing .... they vanish. unfortunately this is my first foray into CSS and it was going rather well until this upset. If you folks could help me i would be much appreciative.

My main content is housed in #outerWrapper #contentWrapper #content

my grid css settings are near the bottom of the file under /* START grid layout */ .infoBoxProducts

(I snipped out the majority of the css that i thought would be irrelevant.

#outerWrapper {
 background-color: #fff;
 margin: 0 auto 0 auto; /* Sets the margin properties for an element using shorthand notation (top, right, bottom, left) */
 text-align: left; /* Redefines the text alignment defined by the body element. */
 width: 900px;
}

#outerWrapper #contentWrapper {
 background-color: #FFFFFF;
 background-image: url("images/white.gif");
 background-repeat: repeat-y;
 overflow: hidden;
}

/* Contains the main page content. When using a mutliple column layout the margins will be set to account for the floated columns' width, margins, and padding. */
#outerWrapper #contentWrapper #content {
background-color: #FFFFFF; /* Sets the padding properties for an element using shorthand notation (top, right, bottom, left) */
margin-top: 37;
margin-right: 0;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 231px;
padding-top: 4px;
padding-right: 0px;
padding-bottom: 0px;
padding-left: 0px;

/* START grid layout */
.infoBoxProducts {
text-align:center;
border: solid 1px #999999;
font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
font-size: 10px;
font-weight: normal;
background-color: #ffffff;
color: #000;
margin-bottom:-8px;
}
.infoBoxProducts a {
 color: #000;

Thanks for helping me out folks :D

Edited by Munt

• 2 weeks later...

I have the thumbnail view and was wondering if there is a way to add a "more info" link to the bottom of the box??

You could enable the details button, or enable the truncated description, that places a more at the end, set the length to 0 & thats all you'll get.

Sam

Contributions:

You could enable the details button, or enable the truncated description, that places a more at the end, set the length to 0 & thats all you'll get.

Thanks Sam,

I used the second option and it worked a treat. Exactly what I was looking for. :thumbsup:

and

'text' =>  '<br />'); 

Hi Sam, I am using your product contrib and modernrc2a template and was also looking to squeeze out some of the extra row height at the bottom of each listing. Can this be reduced further without losing the TD.separator. It just seems to be to much dead space.

Thank you for all of your hard work!

Wendell

Hi Sam, I am using your product contrib and modernrc2a template and was also looking to squeeze out some of the extra row height at the bottom of each listing. Can this be reduced further without losing the TD.separator. It just seems to be to much dead space.

Thank you for all of your hard work!

Wendell

The separator works between products, not at the end.

Templates often are at odd with osC add-ons.

Without a link to your site its hard to tell where your issue is, have you used firefoxes tools?

Sam

Contributions:

The separator works between products, not at the end.

Templates often are at odd with osC add-ons.

Without a link to your site its hard to tell where your issue is, have you used firefoxes tools?

Yes, it is between the products I am referring to. it just seems to be to much white space between each product.

The page is at http://www.kelownacomputers.ca/index.php?cPath=30_32

The site is not live and items bought cannot be delivered yet. Not sure if I am supposed to put links in like that?

What are firefoxes tools for?

BTW, I would like to also thank you and all the others for your posts about security. I submitted my site to ncircle for the free PCI scan and it passed first time in!

Wendell

Hi Sam,

Just wondering if it is possible to also install SPPC with the latest version of the enhancements using the code that you gave for a previous version of the enhancements or will I need to do something else with the code. The old posting was;

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/307010-product-listing-enhancements-thumbnails-manufacturer-headings/page__st__220__p__1286709__hl__SPPC__fromsearch__1entry1286709

Thanks