• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Product Thumbnail Listing

spooks

Product Thumbnail Listing

This contrib is from an idea by lindsayanng that I liked, so I wrote the code.

It provides a replacement for the standard product listing, instead of several rows of text listing your products in a category, it shows the product image in a box with product name, price & short description (if you have that). Clicking on the image or name take you to that product. An admin option allows you to switch between thumbnail view& old list view.

Extra setting are added to admin:

Product Listing Style (default true ) Use Thumbnail view of old List View

Product Listing Short Description (default false ) Show the 'Short Description' (if you have that).

Product Listing Image Width (default 140 ) Product Image Width in listing.

Product Listing Box Width (default 200 ) Set The Individual Product Listing Box Width

Product Listing Box Height (default 180 ) Set The Individual Product Listing Box Height

Product Listing Price Size (default 3 ) Set Product Listing Price Font Size

Product Listing Per Row (default 2 ) Set Number Of Products To List Per Row

Additionally existing settings controling the display of Product Name & Price Are Honored.

The style of the display is controlled by a new entry in your css, you can set there if you wish a background image, colours, borders etc.

A page view is included in the package so you can see the result.

Written on osC2.2 rc1 with PHP5 and has been tested on PHP 4 & 5, SQL 4 & 5, osC 2.2 ms2 & rc1 and is register_globals compatible.

Contribution can be found at:

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took many attempts to get this to upload & now there several duplicates, hopefully someone will sort the contrib section out soon, it seems in a mess.

For the moment contrib is at: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6027

:D

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

I am SOOO excited to get this set up. Thanks for making it, its really perfect!! Let you know how it all works out for me!

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Hi,

Thank you for a great component. I get this error after I have installed your component - could you please help me? ;-)

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/www/xn--kreditkb-c5a.dk/index.php:1) in /home/www/xn--kreditkb-c5a.dk/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 102

My site located at: www.xn--kreditkb-c5a.dk

Best regards,

Jesper Brejning

I am SOOO excited to get this set up. Thanks for making it, its really perfect!! Let you know how it all works out for me!

do you have the cache enabled on your site? I'm sorry i cant help more. I still havent had the time to install this yet..

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Hi,

Thank you for a great component. I get this error after I have installed your component - could you please help me? ;-)

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/www/xn--kreditkb-c5a.dk/index.php:1) in /home/www/xn--kreditkb-c5a.dk/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 102

My site located at: www.xn--kreditkb-c5a.dk

Best regards,

Jesper Brejning

I think this is coincidental, the code uses the same sql query as before and mearly alteres the display method, what happens is you switch back to old display in admin, have you double checked install, adding extra spaces to index.php could cause headers already sent errors.

I`ve applied this install to a vanilla MS2 site without error, whats your version?

Sam

Contributions:

Thank you for your fast reply.

No, I don't have cache enabled - and I get the same error, when I enable cache.

do you have the cache enabled on your site? I'm sorry i cant help more. I still havent had the time to install this yet..

hey.. I have a little issue.. The new admin menu did not show up. I went to the mysite.com/catalog/admin/product_listing_setup.php and it brought me to my admin, but i do not think that it actually ran the database query.

I am PRETTY SURE i ran the install exactly how it should be. The products now show as thumbnails with the name and price (no short description yet, i have to add that contribution) but no buy now - i am assuming that is because that is enabled through the control panel.

oh yea.. Classico.. check to make sure that there are NO spaces before or after your opening and closing <php > I had a space after my <?php and that caused the same thing to happen.

You can check by clicking your cursor right after the <?php and hitting the right arrow, if your cursor can move after that closing php, then you have spaces there and they need to be deleted, which is easy - just use the delete button. It seems like you are deleting nothing, but you will get rid of all of those spaces so you can not move your cursor after the closing tags.

Thank you for the tip - I will try that tonight

oh yea.. Classico.. check to make sure that there are NO spaces before or after your opening and closing <php > I had a space after my <?php and that caused the same thing to happen.

You can check by clicking your cursor right after the <?php and hitting the right arrow, if your cursor can move after that closing php, then you have spaces there and they need to be deleted, which is easy - just use the delete button. It seems like you are deleting nothing, but you will get rid of all of those spaces so you can not move your cursor after the closing tags.

hey.. I have a little issue.. The new admin menu did not show up. I went to the mysite.com/catalog/admin/product_listing_setup.php and it brought me to my admin, but i do not think that it actually ran the database query.

I am PRETTY SURE i ran the install exactly how it should be. The products now show as thumbnails with the name and price (no short description yet, i have to add that contribution) but no buy now - i am assuming that is because that is enabled through the control panel.

Strange? It does go to admin after completing the settup, but you should see a message saying setup complete, its safe to run again, except then you should get:

Product Thumbnail configuration appears to be set up already. Aborted Operation.

You said you put: product_listing_setup.php, it should be product_thumbnail_setup.php

The message title should be Product Thumbnail Setup, there are no variables for this just HTML so must display unless file is wrong.

I uploaded during that dos attack, so I`ll download it & check the files are'nt not damaged.

I did'nt include a buy now, did`nt know you wanted one, I`ll add the option later.

Sam

Contributions:

oops.. sorry. The buy now option was one of my tester's favorite options. They said if they see something that they know they want, they just want to click to add to cart, no read the entire description. Pet supplies can be pretty straight forward, and some people buy the same things over and over because they get used and warn. HOPEFULLY they will do this with mysite.

Anyways, i tried it again.. the mysite.com/catalog/admin/product_thumbnail_setup.php and still nothing. I would THINK that it would be ok since the other person who added it had no issues. I thought maybe it was my browser not allowing it, but i have done a setup similar to that with the article manager contribution

Edited by lindsayanng

I GOT IT!!! never mind all that. I HAD to put the https in the browser bar for it to work, now i get the confirmation that it has been installed successfully!! FABULOUS!! Now on to get that short description contribution in (which seems like a pain to add) but this is GREAT!! thank you. It was REALLY easy to install too!!

ok i have ONE other issue now.. and its probably a simple fix but.. What image size does this use? When i click on my product listing, i see everything how it should be, but the images are very distorted and blurry. I'm assuming it is because it is taking a small image and making it so that it will fit inside the box, expanding it so that it fits.> I tried messing with the image sizes - mainly the small image, medium image, and thumbnail image in the images configuration menu, and I made them all 140 but none of that changed how they look.

Any quick suggestions?

ok i have ONE other issue now.. and its probably a simple fix but.. What image size does this use? When i click on my product listing, i see everything how it should be, but the images are very distorted and blurry. I'm assuming it is because it is taking a small image and making it so that it will fit inside the box, expanding it so that it fits.> I tried messing with the image sizes - mainly the small image, medium image, and thumbnail image in the images configuration menu, and I made them all 140 but none of that changed how they look.

Any quick suggestions?

The image size is set in the Product Listing section with the new option Product Listing Image Width, I left height alone so browser should set correctly itself. If you have a small image, yes it will be distorted as default setting is 140 wide.

Sam

Contributions:

which image is it using though?? I have the automatic product images set up.. SO if i can set those product images to automatically create the thumbnails at a larger size, like 140, then i should be ok.. Unfortunately, i paid someone to do that for me back when i was scared to touch anything with php, so i dont fully understand how it works..

I'm sure this is beyond the relm of support for this contribution, and i will look through to see what i can find, but an idea on where to find that would be great.

which image is it using though?? I have the automatic product images set up.. SO if i can set those product images to automatically create the thumbnails at a larger size, like 140, then i should be ok.. Unfortunately, i paid someone to do that for me back when i was scared to touch anything with php, so i dont fully understand how it works..

I'm sure this is beyond the relm of support for this contribution, and i will look through to see what i can find, but an idea on where to find that would be great.

It just uses the default $products['products_image'] as there is only one on a vanilla osC, I don`t have any sites with 'automatic product images', I assume it modifies that in some way. All my sites use html descripions with fck, so the clients put whatevers pics they like where they like, but I realise with a large stock list this is`nt suitable.

If you'd care to put up the code for your old product_listing I`ll see if I can tell what its doing.

Sam

Contributions:

would you like me to PM the code to you or just post it here?? I dont have it at the moment (i am on my cpu at work) but as soon as i get home to my laptop, i will post it for you to see.

I did try messing with ALL of the option for image sizing. In the additional images menu, there is a use image setting set to true or false for BOTH images and thumbnails, i tried altering them both ways and nothing changed except the images in my product info/description.

I have never thought about using the FCK editor for the descirptions. I am pretty decent with HTML, so i dont REALLY need a WYSIWYG, and if i do, i just create things in dreamweaver and copy the code.. ANYWAYS.. let me know how you want that code and i will get it to you.

THANKS!!!

would you like me to PM the code to you or just post it here?? I dont have it at the moment (i am on my cpu at work) but as soon as i get home to my laptop, i will post it for you to see.

I did try messing with ALL of the option for image sizing. In the additional images menu, there is a use image setting set to true or false for BOTH images and thumbnails, i tried altering them both ways and nothing changed except the images in my product info/description.

I have never thought about using the FCK editor for the descirptions. I am pretty decent with HTML, so i dont REALLY need a WYSIWYG, and if i do, i just create things in dreamweaver and copy the code.. ANYWAYS.. let me know how you want that code and i will get it to you.

THANKS!!!

Ok, PM me the code, probably best that way.

Sam

Contributions:

ok. I didn't want it to clutter up and confuse people by posting the code from the unapplied product_listing file here.. You know how easily people get confused..

I will post it as SOON as i get home> THANKS!!!!!

Hi Lindsayang,

You were right - there was spaces before the opening <php > . I removed them and now everyting is fine.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Jesper

ok. I didn't want it to clutter up and confuse people by posting the code from the unapplied product_listing file here.. You know how easily people get confused..

I will post it as SOON as i get home> THANKS!!!!!

Uploaded new version 1.1

Added 'buy now' details button option. Added support for Additional Images (http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/1032) If you have this it will select the medium size image. This option is in beta currently.

Added Product Listing 'Buy Now / Details' Button option in admin.

This has been tested on PHP 4 & 5, SQL 4 & 5, osC 2.2 ms2, rc1 & rc2a and is register_globals compatible.

Sam

Contributions:

Thanks for making this contribution! It's awesome.

But I've a similar problem. I follow all the steps and everything seems working except the last one.

When I go to the setup page, there's nothing comes up....

I tried both www.mysite.com/catalog/admin/product_thumbnail_setup.php or https, but neither one works.

Any suggestions? :huh:

Thanks.

Strange? It does go to admin after completing the settup, but you should see a message saying setup complete, its safe to run again, except then you should get:

Product Thumbnail configuration appears to be set up already. Aborted Operation.

You said you put: product_listing_setup.php, it should be product_thumbnail_setup.php

The message title should be Product Thumbnail Setup, there are no variables for this just HTML so must display unless file is wrong.

I uploaded during that dos attack, so I`ll download it & check the files are'nt not damaged.

I did'nt include a buy now, did`nt know you wanted one, I`ll add the option later.

Thanks for making this contribution! It's awesome.

But I've a similar problem. I follow all the steps and everything seems working except the last one.

When I go to the setup page, there's nothing comes up....

I tried both www.mysite.com/catalog/admin/product_thumbnail_setup.php or https, but neither one works.

Any suggestions? :huh:

Thanks.

Lindsayang had this, it sounds like your trying www.mysite.com/catalog/admin/product_thumbnail_setup.https

It should be https://www.mysite.com/catalog/admin/produc...bnail_setup.php

and of course replace mysite.com and catalog appropriatly

Sam

Contributions:

yes, i had the same issue..i think it was just my browser.. type this into your url bar

https://www.yoursite.com/catalog/admin/prod...bnail_setup.php

for some reason i NEEDED to type the https: and not http