Sign in to follow this  
IcedDante

Stop customers from ordering

My client is going to be going away on vacation and will not be able to take any orders for her website during that time. I was going to install the Down For Maintenance contribution but I believe that is not the proper one for her purposes, as she will still want search engines and customers to be able to navigate the site- they just should not be allowed to order anything.

I am sure there is a contribution that can stop a customer from ordering but I haven't been able to find it. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Randeep

The easiest way is to simply replace your index.php file with another file (call index.php to indexclose.php in the meantime).

Then change the nameof the "includes" folder to "includesclose"

That's it.

There is a contribution that does it - but this is much simpler

The easiest way is to simply replace your index.php file with another file (call index.php to indexclose.php in the meantime).

Then change the nameof the "includes" folder to "includesclose"

That's it.

There is a contribution that does it - but this is much simpler

That doesn't sound like the right solution for me. I don't want to take the whole website down- I just want customers to be unable to order. It would be great if customers and search engines could continue to browse the site (do a little window shopping) until making orders was available again.

Edited by IcedDante

Wouldn't it be easier to just disable the check out feature in the admin panel and use the custom message to inform the customers that the store will re-open on a specific date ?

Sorry, it just seems more logical to use a feature already included in the admin panel.

Chris

:|: Was this post helpful ? Click the LIKE THIS button :|:

See my Profile to learn more about add ons, templates, support plans and custom coding (click here)

This will do the job for you nicely

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5333

Aran

This looks like the right solution. Thanks Aran.

Wouldn't it be easier to just disable the check out feature in the admin panel and use the custom message to inform the customers that the store will re-open on a specific date ?

Sorry, it just seems more logical to use a feature already included in the admin panel.

Chris- I'm a beginner to this software package so I wasn't aware of this ability. I will look into it. How do you think the contribution Aran mentioned differs from your solution? I assume this contribution would not have been created if it didn't offer something beyond the norm.

Edited by IcedDante

Chris

DunWeb,

Looked through the Admin Menus and I do not see an option for disabling checkout. Is this a standard feature or did you get this from a Contribution you installed?

DunWeb,

Looked through the Admin Menus and I do not see an option for disabling checkout. Is this a standard feature or did you get this from a Contribution you installed?

I think what you are looking for is the Disable Checkout contribution.

Jack