• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Login Box w/My Account - Enhancement

This is an enhancement to the Loginbox/My Account v5.2 infobox contribution authored by Linda McGrath with

www.TheWebMakersCorner.com. Everyone should make it a point to thank Linda for all of her hard work and excellent osCommerce add-ons and mod's that she has made available to all of us!

Please visit her website for a multitude of osCOmmerce add-ons,

mods and resources... http://www.thewebmakerscorner.com.

THANK YOU LINDA... FOR EVERYTHING!!!

You can find it here...

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,849

Prerequisites

To use this enhancement, you MUST have already installed Linda McGrath's Loginbox/My Account v5.2 infobox contribution. If you haven't installed it yet, stop now and go do it!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good Luck!

-R

You should have posted it in the same package as Linda's contribution so the Contributions section doesn't get all messed up again.

Also what specific enhancements does it add? You don't say that anywhere.

Very nice! It will allow me to get rid of the situation where the create account is in one section and the login box in another. Hopefully someone will move the contribution to where it belongs in the package rather than on its own..ie. read the sticky at the top of the forum. :wink:

JB, glad you like it.

Since this was an enhancement, not a complete re-write, thats why I put it where I did. I thought that was the right thing to do. If it needs to go within Linda's contribution, then by all means, I say move it there. I just didn't want anyone to get confused.

Anyways, this contribution is an enhancement to Linda McGrath's "Login Box w/My Account" infobox contribution. Linda's contribution creates a Loginbox infobox, which would appear in either the left or right column. The loginbox infobox contains an email address and password text box to allow a customer to login. Once they do, the Loginbox infobox turns into a "My Account info" infobox.

This enhancement places a Guest greeting above the text boxes which states, "Welcome Guest, If you are already registered, please login below". It also creates another Guest greeting below the text boxes which states, "First time Here? Not Registered yet? Click here to create an account"

Once the customer has logged in, and the Loginbox infobox turns into a "My Account Info" infobox. The enhancement places a Personal Greeting above the Account links which states, "Welcome Back... [firstname]"

Fairly simple and staightforward. The enhancement seems to be a bit more visually appealing and gives it a personal feel.

Hopefully, this clarifies what this enhancement does. Please feel free to contact me with any questions, issues, ideas, suggestions, opinions or verbal abuse of any sort. :)

Good Luck and Happy New Year!

-R

I really like this enhancement, I already had the login box as part of Linda's Quantity controller mod but I was not using it because it lacked the features you have added. Thank you :D

I think there is just one more thing that is now needed on the login box and that is the "forgotten password" link.

Best wishes

Steve

Wow... that was easier than I thought. I must be getting the hang of this! :D

Check out what the Loginbox infobox looks like now... http://www.ugottasalsa.com/catalog Is this the functionality that you were describing?

That was a great suggestion, livefooduk! Thanks!

There are only two very minor changes that need to be done. One is to /catalog/includes/languages/english.php, and the other is a small addition to /catalog/functions/general.php.

I'm running out the door to go compete in a Salsa Dance Contest (Wish me luck!), where the Grand Prize is a 1 week, all expense paid trip to Hawaii! Damn, that would be cool!

I wil post the code changes when I get back in later tonite!

Thanks again!

-R

Check out what the Loginbox infobox looks like now... http://www.ugottasalsa.com/catalog Is this the functionality that you were describing?  

Yes like that I can now remove the login link from the top of the page and just use the login box. Good luck with the Salsa competition

Best wishes

Steve

Here's the update as promised...

First off, you must have already installed Linda McGrath's "Login Box / My Account" infobox contribution, as well as my "Login Box / My Account - Enhancement" contribution.

This particular enhancement to my "Login Box / My Account - Enhancement" will add a comment and link just below the email and password fields in the loginbox infobox that states, "Forgot Your Password? Click Here".

You can see it here... http://www.ugottasalsa.com/catalog

There are only two very minor changes that have to be made.

Open your /catalog/includes/languages/english.php and find the following line...

define('LOGINBOX_GREETING_BOTTOM_GUEST', '<br><span class="greetUser">First Time Here?</span><br>Not registered yet?<br>Click here to<br><a href="%s"><u>create an account</u></a>?');

...and change it to...

define('LOGINBOX_GREETING_BOTTOM_GUEST', '<br><span class="greetUser">Forgot Your Password?</span><br><a href="%s"><u>Click Here</u></a><br><br><span class="greetUser">First Time Here?</span><br>Not registered yet?<br>Click here to<br><a href="%s"><u>create an account</u></a>?');

Save and close english.php.

Now open /catalog/includes/functions/general.php and locate the following code...

// Return a loginbox infobox customer greeting bottom

function tep_loginbox_greeting_bottom() {

global $customer_id, $customer_first_name;

if (tep_session_is_registered('customer_first_name') && tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) {

$greeting_loginbox_bottom_string = sprintf(LOGINBOX_GREETING_BOTTOM_PERSONAL, $customer_first_name, tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCTS_NEW, '', 'NONSSL'));

} else {

$greeting_loginbox_bottom_string = sprintf(LOGINBOX_GREETING_BOTTOM_GUEST, tep_href_link(FILENAME_CREATE_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL'));

}

return $greeting_loginbox_bottom_string;

}

////

...and change it to...

// Return a loginbox infobox customer greeting bottom

function tep_loginbox_greeting_bottom() {

global $customer_id, $customer_first_name;

if (tep_session_is_registered('customer_first_name') && tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) {

$greeting_loginbox_bottom_string = sprintf(LOGINBOX_GREETING_BOTTOM_PERSONAL, $customer_first_name, tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCTS_NEW, '', 'NONSSL'));

} else {

$greeting_loginbox_bottom_string = sprintf(LOGINBOX_GREETING_BOTTOM_GUEST, tep_href_link(FILENAME_PASSWORD_FORGOTTEN, '', 'SSL'), tep_href_link(FILENAME_CREATE_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL'));

}

return $greeting_loginbox_bottom_string;

}

////

That's it. When you refresh osC, your loginbox infobox will now include a comment and link just below the email and password fields that states, "Forgot Your Password? Click Here".

I once again want to thank Linda McGrath for here original Login Box / My Account contribution. Without her contribution, we wouldn't have a Loginbox infox at all! Visit her website... www.webmakerscorner.com

Hope you like it. Contact me with any questions.

-R

Does this enhancement work with Linda's Quantity Controller v5.1?

I tried to install it but I get the following message now on the right column...

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: tep_loginbox_greeting_top() in /u/htdocs/antdot/catalog/includes/boxes/loginbox.php on line 44

• 11 months later...

I love the original login box. When I installed the enhancement after installation in the list of account controls instead of the proper text I got : LOGIN_BOX_PRODUCT_NOTIFICATIONS Any idea what I did to make this happen. When I swap the loginbox.php back to the original contribution, the list gets corrected, so I am lead to believe that it might be in the programming of loginbox.php but this is a language I am a beginner at. Also, I followed this string and tried adding in the code to allow new visitors to create an account in the login box. I got a syntax error for general.php Any ideas? I just cut and paste. I though that perhaps the error could have been from too many spaces, so I took out the spaces. The error remained. I am going to try again in a few hours when I get back from work. -mark

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I have installed the new version of the Shoppe Enhancement Controller, But how do I:

6. Set the following permissions on directories and files:

CHMOD Settings:

/catalog/images 777

/catalog/pub 777

/catalog/includes/configure.php 664

Set in each language directory:

/catalog/includes/languages/english/mainpage.php 666

/catalog/includes/languages/english/define_about_us.php 666

/catalog/includes/languages/english/define_shipping.php 666

/catalog/includes/languages/english/define_conditions.php 666

/catalog/includes/languages/english/define_privacy.php 666

/catalog/includes/languages/english/define_contact_us.php 666