• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Heavily Customised OSC goes live

tresseh

Hi there!

I have recently released an OSC site for a customer of mine. The site features several enhancements, mostly cosmetic, and will hopefully inspire others to further realise the potential of this awesome open source project.

http://www.l4leather.com

I'd appreciate any feedback, especially from the people here who know their OSC, and i thank everyone thats given me pointers along the way, you've been a tremendous support!

If there are any problems/bugs, please notify me either here or by email and i will fix them straight away. I am already aware of one (its an admin problem though) as described here: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30459, if someone could help me out with a fix for that, i'd appreciate it greatly.

Regards,

Jay

Regards, Jay.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks really good man...

one thing I noticed... the advanced search page ( http://www.l4leather.com/catalog/advanced_search.php ) has a broken image and the search button doesn't match the other buttons on the site (it is still the default, while the others have been changed)

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing

- Edmund Burke

Privacy Policy -- First paragragh is centered while the other paragraphs are left justified. Great detailed privacy policy.

Conditions -- Same as Privacy Policy...Unless you intended to do this.

Header -- Looks great.

Footer -- Really cool.

The Privacy/Conditions were from the contributions section - i believe the default is to have the first paragraph centred, as i dont remember deliberately changing these. Im going to speak to the client, see what they would prefer.

Was the search button you referred to the same as the one Dreamscape pointed out, or something different?

Regards, Jay.

Well done - looks great! The only problem I can see is the (>) which refers to buy it now! I would (up to you) create a buy it now button in the same way as all your other buttons. It would be easier to identify for your customers. Otherwise - bloody great job!

Yes - you may be right there actually, i'l consult the client - thanks for the praise, its always nice to hear that someone has enjoyed something you've spent so much time on! :o

Regards, Jay.

Yes Ian - my first attempt at using OcS, and after a few hurdles were cleared i really started to get into it! The site has got great feedback from the client and customers alike, i've been pleasantly suprised!

Thank you for the kind words :)

Regards, Jay.

This is one of the best sites I have seen in a long time. The top page

banner with the built in rollover is nice. The menu has an artisitic feel

that really goes with the product.

I don't understand the purpose of the L4LEATHER FORUMS: text in the

chrome bar below your header graphic.

Also I wonder if the hit counter that comes from the default theme is

appropriate. I have always felt that they should be left off of a business

website. Statistics can be captured from the logs and the built in reports

provided by osCommerce. Just my opinion for what it is worth.

James

Thanks Jatt - i appreciate that!

The Graphic is something i've only just remembered - its down to a shared header file across the site, i've forgotten to write a function to change the image depending on which page the file is being included into - i shall rectify this now!

I have full statistical tracking installed on the server, with log analysis, referrers etc, but for some reason, the client likes to guage the 'daily' traffic by using that innaccurate 'hit' counter - maybe i should work harder on making them realise it doesnt mean anything, and he should check the statistics program that took so long to sort out :wink:

Regards, Jay.

Site looks awesome! I have one suggestion though, you have probably been concentrating on the osC side of things and may not know that you should update asap the phpBB forums to 2.03. There are security issues in the lower versions. I got caught on one of my sites, but not on the updated sites.

Your site has inspired me to get moving on more design ideas! But today I MUST UPLOAD PRODUCTS (I keep getting delayed by looking at other sites!!! and getting ideas.... and adding more contributions.... and getting more ideas..... )

Debbie

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]

Thanks Loxly - i'll look into that. To be honest the forum was the first thing done, so it needs looking at again anyway :)

I'm glad you like the site, and i know what you mean - i've installed 2 or 3 more contributions since i last posted, as well as made several changes to the code of my own - it never stops!

Regards, Jay.

Thanks Loxly - i'll look into that. To be honest the forum was the first thing done, so it needs looking at again anyway :)

I'm glad you like the site, and i know what you mean - i've installed 2 or 3 more contributions since i last posted, as well as made several changes to the code of my own - it never stops!

The forum upgrade is very easy.

I love the Gallery! I have been trying to figure out how to integrate that into my design, and somehow make it clickable to the photos page in the catalog. I didn'y think about integrating it here, I have it on my CoolPetSites site for a photo contest.

More ideas......

Debbie

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]

THE GOOD: I really like your site, it has a very nice feel and the graphics are well done. I like how you did your menu on top with the transparencies. Looks sleek!

THE NOT SO GOOD: I'm not sure whether you need the leather background at the bottom, I don't think it goes along well with the site in my opinion. I would try to use some of your metallic textures or a solid color to finish the bottom of the pages. One more thing, it would be nice if you could remove some of the junk like the date on the site + the number of hits, I don't think it is necessary to show. The simple the better.

Other than that, it's looking great! Good job!

QUESTION: How did you manage to relate other products to specific products? For example: products_id=50 It shows 2 related products at the bottom.

Thanks.

Loved your site

I made buttons like yours...thanks for the pointer

(a mans site is never done)

:roll: :roll:

www.farrellart.net/catalog/default.php

try my translator..it translates the WHOLE page..::smile::

Enrique: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...ions,334/page,3 And thanks for the advice - im not sure if i agree on your opinions of the leather footer - but thats why we all think differently, right? :)

Snagelcat: Glad you like it, box headers look a lot better with some nice graphics IMO.

Regards, Jay.

What a nice site, its nice to see a site like yours!

I am thinking of adding colour and images as headings for the boxes, but i have no idea where to start, can anyone point me in the right direction please, like what and where do i change!

Archived