• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Heavily Customised OSC goes live

tresseh

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is just weird all the people like me that are on a dial up modem 56K connection, seem to have no problem with the speed. It loaded really fast for me, and that was after i cleared my cache and reloaded the page. I live in the middle of wales UK.

But all the people on Broadband/ADSL seem to be having problems with load speed. Thats just messed up!!!

Hi guys - sorry to hear some of you are having problems with actualy accessing the site.

I have a very reliable host in the US that i know personally, and i get good rates, extra's etc so this explains my choice. In terms of server speed, i have found it perfectly acceptible to use, and have experienced no real speed related issues.

Unfortunately due to my location i cannot receive broadband, however i have numerous friends and aquaintances, and have demo'd my sites on many a broadband connection and havent experienced those sort of load times.

The site is not GZip compressed, nor have i done anything specific with regards to optimising the code/graphics. They were already optimised to my satisfaction when the site first went live.

I read that there were transatlantic routing issues some months back, and that in extreme cases there were packet loss exceding 60%. Perhaps this is related?

I have a number of sites hosted on the same server, perhaps you'd like to try these to see if its the site, or the connection to the server thats the issue?

www.mediahabit.com

www.phiberoptic.net

www.defendersuk.com

www.rangeroversuk.com

Regards, Jay.

If you were trying within the last 15 minutes, it seems there was a gateway issue just now, because as soon as i posted that last msg, i checked them all, and i couldnt access them :roll:

Talk about timing...

Seems to have been intermittent, but they are up for me now. How irritating.

Regards, Jay.

Yeah, this is the 3rd time I've checked it, and it seems that all of the actual product images are broken, and when you click it...it says "item not found"

The look has been updated nicely. Good work...still looks OSC though :wink:

I need to read the rules more often...

Now it is reachable. :) but it still took one minute to start loading the first of those sites and another 20 seconds before it completed (though I didn't spot any difference in that 20 seconds). I didn't check the others :(

If there are any problems/bugs, please notify me either here or by email and i will fix them straight away.

Hi Jay!

Looks like all of your product images are broken. Here's an example:

http://www.l4leather.com/index.php?cPath=74_94

HLT

www.hairlosstalk.com

Consumer Hair Loss Information & Support

If there are any problems/bugs, please notify me either here or by email and i will fix them straight away.

Hi Jay!

Looks like all of your product images are broken. Here's an example:

http://www.l4leather.com/index.php?cPath=74_94

HLT

Saying they are all broken is a bit much.

He just hasnt added images for those categories yet thats all.

Most of them are actually fine.

CC.

Hi guys, thx for the feedback :)

I have just checked out those links and your right, there has been several new categories created, and no images created. This site has been handed over to the client, and they are now responsible for the content of the site.

I will contact them and let them know - Looking into the admin, there are about a hundred products within these categories, all disabled, and the only thing not done is the images. I think they are trying to create the categories offline, then once all the products are complete, they are going to make it all available at once. Unfortunately categories cant (by default) be switched on and off like products, so i will suggest that they have the "categoies disable/enable" contribution installed to remedy this.

Thanks again!

Regards, Jay.

What might also be an idea in the meantime would be to set 'images needed' to false in admin.

Then at least broken images wont show for now.

Just a suggestion.

CC.

Saying they are all broken is a bit much. He just hasnt added images for those categories yet thats all. Most of them are actually fine.

Everywhere I clicked at the product level, they were broken, so I made an assumption :) 100 is a lot. Unfortunately I didn't have time to do a full analysis of 100% of the images in order to come up with an accurate ratio assessment of most versus some. Just trying to help. :shock:

HLT

www.hairlosstalk.com

Consumer Hair Loss Information & Support

Another solution is to have them turn "Require Images" to off. Then when the images are there, they will show up and if not there will be a text link without a broken box.

Debbie

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]

FIrstly, when i said there were a 100 products with no images, none of these products are enabled, so they do not show at the front end. There are only a few categories that do not have images. All the live products on the site have the correct images in place.

Require images is already set to false - and it does work for the first and second levels of categories, however, for the sub-categories after this it doesnt appear to work.

Example:

http://www.l4leather.com/index.php?cPath=26

This is a second level category listing, and no broken images display.

http://www.l4leather.com/index.php?cPath=74_96

This is a third level category listing, and the broken images are apparent - weird huh?

Perhaps this is a bug with OSC? Or maybe just the snapshot that site is based on, ideas?

Regards, Jay.

This is interesting, I have 3 levels, and the third level doesn't show on the products page, just in the categories menu. So I don't know if it would show broken photos or not. I have to investigate this.

Debbie

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]

If you peek at the broken images, they are set to Array in the database.

This is a bug that puts the name of an image as Array when no image is supplied on the initial input of a product.

Editting the products table can fix this.

Linda, as per usual you are absolutely correct. Did a quick update to set the image field to blank if it was set to 'Array' and now the image hiding script is working again. Thank you once again :)

Regards, Jay.

You are a star, I am getting ready to upgrade my store from 2.1 to the latest all singing all dancing and I want to use most of your contribs, and I hope the Multi store is available soon too :)

Keep up the good work all of you !Im useless :roll: :D

Archived