• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Please check out my online store

mindseye1

Nice template, I know that is not your work - the same anyone can purchase at templatemonster.

Please read this line: Do you want to find all the answers to your questions? click here. As for contribution database it's located here!

8 people out of 10 don't bother to read installation manuals. I can recommend: if you can't read the installation manual, don't bother to install any contribution yourself.

Before installing contribution or editing/updating/deleting any files, do the full backup, it will save to you & everyone here on the forum time to fix your issues.

Any issues with oscommerce, I am here to help you.

Yep, template! But it's not a Template Monster template. While they hardcode addresses which should be https to http when you do then get to an https page they do usually work. With this website if you go to an https page and elect not to show Insecure Content then all you get is a white page with black text - all images disappear.

Looks like "Amateur Dreamweaver Kiddie" template work to me. A real "start over again" mess.

Vger

Hi

I think that Vger's comments were a bit too severe - there is something wrong with your https stuff that needs to be fixed, but the site, to me, looks really nice.

As usual, with the common templates, your header is a monster - you're wasting almost 1/2 of the visible area on a 768 pixel high screen on the static header. Yours looks nice, but it requires a lot of scrolling to see the stuff that you are trying to sell. On my 900 pixel high screen, I need to scroll to see the bottom two of four products (wouldn't it be nice to show 6 without the need to scroll?) and I need to scroll to see all of the categories that you are displaying.

Also, the registry stuff is confusing - like, who is Sandy? It definitely needs the FAQ section. And, you say "My Registry" and then say "Your Account".

The little hipster of the month is also nice - but you take people away from the site to vote, and don't really provide a clearly visible link to take them back. I'll also bet that Francesco knows how to use a computer.

So, the site looks really nice and well coordinated (much better than Dreamweaver Amateur - that would be me using Dreamweaver), has some interesting features, and I think has potential.

Good luck.

Tony

Thank you for your feedback. The registry - yes it is confusing, but we ended up using a wishlist that was not exactly what we need- and then a friend wanted to register- since the wishlist had no "search" function we had to think of a quick workaround for the problem. We will get a more advanced registry later on.

Thanks for the info about the https!

The Little Hipster of the Month does take to our blog- I should have it open in new window- and have a link back directly below! Thanks so much!

Perhaps I should have clarified that it's the coding that is a real "start over again mess".

If every image has been hardcoded then every file is going to have to be gone through to return it to its osCommerce original format.

Vger

I must agree that the template does have a LOT of funky formatting and layouts using tables which I am slowly trying to migrate to CSS. Overall though I thought it pretty decently stuck to the osCommerce code because it uses almost all of the built in functions (tep_image, tep_href_link, etc...). The only hard-coded images are a few workarounds here and there that will eventually be replaced.

Are there any other MAJOR areas that you can see that really stray from the osCommerce formula? I did some pretty extensive comparisons to the base files and found that most major changes from the code are in about a dozen or so files. I am working to restore as much as possible for compatibility, but I want to maintain the design. Although I do want to take into account some of the design critiques that were posted above as well. Anyways, again I appreciate all feedback negative or positive (as long as it is constructive!) Thanks!

-Ryan

Perhaps I should have clarified that it's the coding that is a real "start over again mess".

If every image has been hardcoded then every file is going to have to be gone through to return it to its osCommerce original format.

Vger

That IS a template monster template, which I have had the misfortune to install for a client on a different osCommerce site.

The codebase is awful - nowhere near what it should be. You will run into all sorts of problems in the future when you want to add contributions. I know - I've had to fix this template for a client.

Most Temlate Monster templates are very poor - I wonder why so many people buy them?

What exactly did you find so poor about it? Was it just the table based formatting, or the actual function usage and such in the PHP? I'm finding that it is not that bad on the code side, I just don't like the formatting and how I have to check for closing tags everywhere in strange places. As far as contributions, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I've installed the following:

UltraPics (with Lightbox)

Wishlist

QTPro

CountryState Selector

Also upgraded from MS2 to RC1 and then RC2.2a

I also made my own little contribution for splitting up the category groups. I attempted to use More Category Boxes, but it wasn't working how I wanted so I designed one myself. (If anyone is interested in it let me know.) I also had to manually do the rollover images for the main menu (which is why you see some BAD hardcoded junk there). Overall I'd say it was a good decision for me to use the template because there is no way I could have done the great design work on my own, and I think it out weighs the hassle I've experienced from coding with it.

That IS a template monster template, which I have had the misfortune to install for a client on a different osCommerce site.

The codebase is awful - nowhere near what it should be. You will run into all sorts of problems in the future when you want to add contributions. I know - I've had to fix this template for a client.

Most Temlate Monster templates are very poor - I wonder why so many people buy them?

• 1 year later...

Hi

I think that Vger's comments were a bit too severe - there is something wrong with your https stuff that needs to be fixed, but the site, to me, looks really nice.

As usual, with the common templates, your header is a monster - you're wasting almost 1/2 of the visible area on a 768 pixel high screen on the static header. Yours looks nice, but it requires a lot of scrolling to see the stuff that you are trying to sell. On my 900 pixel high screen, I need to scroll to see the bottom two of four products (wouldn't it be nice to show 6 without the need to scroll?) and I need to scroll to see all of the categories that you are displaying.

Also, the registry stuff is confusing - like, who is Sandy? It definitely needs the FAQ section. And, you say "My Registry" and then say "Your Account".

The little hipster of the month is also nice - but you take people away from the site to vote, and don't really provide a clearly visible link to take them back. I'll also bet that Francesco knows how to use a computer.

So, the site looks really nice and well coordinated (much better than Dreamweaver Amateur - that would be me using Dreamweaver), has some interesting features, and I think has potential.

Good luck.

Tony

Hello, my site has the same problem. We changed to a secure site a few days back. But it says, the site has insecure content. The images disappear. We removed all outbound links.

Can you help please?

Best regards

Tissy

• 4 weeks later...

Nice layout. I just finished on using templates from monster templates. Pretty decent designs but will still require heavy customisation since its OSC you need to add lots of modules =) but that's the fun part!

I'm an OSCommerce junkie, I love it to bits

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." - Oscar Wilde

If Template Monster OSC templates are crap, where do you recommend I go to get a decent OSC template with less customization?

I'm an OSCommerce junkie, I love it to bits

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." - Oscar Wilde

Archived